PDA

View Full Version : Minor league stuff...

MarkEdward
11-29-2003, 07:40 PM
1. Reading the latest Baseball America, I noticed a Danny Sandoval was signed by the Phillies. I assume this is our Danny Sandoval, who spent the year with the Barons, right?

2. It appears as though Brian West is going back to LSU for football. While I don't think West was a top prospect, he did pitch somewhat well in 2000 and 2001.

3. Was Scott Bikowski ever added to the 40-man roster?

progers0826
12-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Yep, that's the former Midwest League All-Star who had been in the Sox system basically forever. Sandoval was a six-year minor-league free agent. And, no, Bikowski wasn't added to the 40-man roster. He had a good showing in the Arizona Fall League but it wasn't enough to get a spot. He's eligible to be claimed in the Rule 5 draft.

Chisoxfn
12-02-2003, 03:31 PM
West was injured mid-to-late last season and instead of rehabbing and coming back he decided to go to LSU and play linebacker.

I think West had to have tommy john or something like that and decided against it and went back to school. He really struggled the past two seasons after looking like a very bright prospect in the years before it. He was a highly ranked football prospect when he was drafted by the Sox. Not saying he'll be a pro, but he will be productive and helpful to LSU.

Unless I missed something, I'm assuming he will start playing for LSU next season as I don't remember hearing his name at all during the few LSU broadcasts I've seen this season.

Does anyone know which Sox prospects are eligible for the Rule V? Also, if the Sox just dump payroll and rebuild (Don't think thats likely but if they don't add another pitcher or two and bring some relievers, its not gonna be pretty next year) will they consider taking a more major league ready player in the Rule V. Heck, we know they have nothing in hte middle infield on the major or minor league rosters, more specifically shortstop, so they could easily take someone, he can play for them for cheap as a backup to Jose (He's the only shortstop we got...cause there is nothing till you get to Gonzalez, Lopez, Valido, and I guess Mike Morse can be mentioned in there as well).