PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Sexson to the Dbacks

Jjav829
11-29-2003, 07:21 PM
According to ESPN Radio 1000 the Dbacks and Brewers have agreed to a trade that will send Richie Sexson to the Dbacks for Junior Spivey, Lyle Overbay, Craig Counsell, and Chris Capuano. The deal is pending physicals and should be completed Monday. Interesting two days here as some of the big moves that were rumored are going through.

I feel sorry for Brewers fans. But I guess for having to clear salary, they didn't do too bad. They at least get a couple decent middle infielders and a potential slugger to fill in for Sexson. I would like to see Counsell here but hes owed about $3 million next year I believe.

Soxfest
11-29-2003, 07:28 PM
I like Sexson he is a good player, the players they got back If I was a Brewers fan I would be upset.

Palehose13
11-29-2003, 07:42 PM
I believe that Craig Counsell is a local boy. The people here are pretty sentimental, so he will be embraced.

I don't know how many will respond to the loss of "The Big Sexy", but I think they saw it coming. To be honest with you, I've lived in Milwaukee 6 years and have only encountered 2 "true" Brewer fans.(seriously) Baseball is wasted up here. They really only care about the slackers. A friend of mine put it best:

"If a Brewer pitched a perfect game in July and on the same day the packers picked up a 3rd string fullback, the front page would be all about the packer pick up and the second page would have a mention ofthe perfect game."

Just a little insight on the people to the north of you...

RichH55
11-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Lets start the PK to LA rumor bandwagon up agaiN!

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Does it get any worse for brewer fans? First Navarro, then the choice and ritchie, and now this!

Randar68
11-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Does it get any worse for brewer fans? First Navarro, then the choice and ritchie, and now this!

For a salary dump, I'd argue that it isn't such a bad trade for the Brewers. Sexson K's too much for a team already full of K artists... Spivey's a pretty good player when healthy. Saves a lot of salary in the long run and for a guy they aren't likely to keep at the end of his contract in a year or 2, IIRC...

MarkEdward
11-29-2003, 08:20 PM
Bleh. I don't like this trade for the Brewers. Spivey, while not old, isn't exactly young and has been helped tremendously by Bank One Ballpark. Overbay isn't bad but only slugged .402 last year. Counsell is old and useless. Capuano may turn out to be a useful pitcher, but I'm not very high on him.

Brewers' fans have some hope. Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, and Krynzel are on the way.

Jjav829
11-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Hmm...interesting. It now appears that the deal reported (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1673947) by ESPN Radio 1000 is not true. According to an article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Another erroneous radio report Saturday out of Chicago said a deal was done sending Sexson to Arizona for third baseman Craig Counsell, second baseman Junior Spivey, first baseman Lyle Overbay and left-hander Craig Capuano.

Counsell grew up in Milwaukee, so getting him would be a good PR move for the Brewers, but they don't need a third baseman, particularly one making $3.15 million next season. They don't need help at second base, either.

"We have no deal with any team," Melvin said through team spokesman Jon Greenberg Saturday evening. "I'll be back at work on Monday, working the telephones."

MJS article (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/nov03/188719.asp)

Palehose13
11-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Wow. They moved fast one that one. I expected them to still be looking for excuses for Favre's awful performance Thursday for at least another week. At least I made the right call about these cheeseheads embracing Counsell if he came to Milwaukee.

xil357
11-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
"If a Brewer pitched a perfect game in July and on the same day the packers picked up a 3rd string fullback, the front page would be all about the packer pick up and the second page would have a mention ofthe perfect game."

Just a little insight on the people to the north of you...

Ah yes, life beyond the Cheddar Curtain.

Going into Wisconsin is like crossing over into Czechoslovakia (Stripes counter-reference for the resident Bill Murray fans).

If I had to live in Wisconsin but wasn't a Packers fan and didn't like cheese or cow-tipping, I probably would have committed Hari Cari a long time ago. Thankfully the Great and Good Johnsonville Bratwurst and the Superior Senator Feingold save the day for those living in the Badger State. (Badgers? BADGERS! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGERS!)

Too bad the Sox don't get to dog pile on the Brew Crew a few times every season. (Thanks again, Commish!) I miss the 19-inning marathons and brawls with Phil Garner.

Jjav829
11-29-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Wow. They moved fast one that one. I expected them to still be looking for excuses for Favre's awful performance Thursday for at least another week. At least I made the right call about these cheeseheads embracing Counsell if he came to Milwaukee.

Yeah, I still wouldn't be surprised to see it go through Monday. Melvin might just be buying some time until it becomes official so he doesn't have to deal with the questions for another two days.

TaylorStSox
11-29-2003, 09:57 PM
It doesn't really seem like that bad of a move to me. They're getting 4 players for one. Two of whom are legit everyday ballplayers.

They're farm system is loaded. Getting rid of a high priced homerun hitter for 2 relatively cheap guys that are just good baseball players makes sense. Plus, they're getting 2 other guys.

fquaye149
11-30-2003, 12:01 AM
the brewers are my 2nd favorite team in baseball...and if this trade went through it would be murder...

not that sexson doesn't have his faults(strikes out a lot, doesn't play great defense)

but this has the makings of an embarassment...

maybe some team has ernie broglio and the brew crew could trade sexson for him.

Tragg
11-30-2003, 12:39 AM
As far as basically one-dimensional sluggers go, Sexon is my favorite these days. Sluggers make baseball interesting - but they are like blinking christmas tree lights - I enjoy them on someone else's tree but don't want them on mine.

RichH55
11-30-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
It doesn't really seem like that bad of a move to me. They're getting 4 players for one. Two of whom are legit everyday ballplayers.

They're farm system is loaded. Getting rid of a high priced homerun hitter for 2 relatively cheap guys that are just good baseball players makes sense. Plus, they're getting 2 other guys.

They are getting an expensive Poor Man's Mark Mclemore....a decent 2B guy, a dime a dozen 1B (who is just there to take up space for a bit).....get something of value man!

Even if you pay part of Sexson's deal...get something!

And if you farm system is loaded, why would you need 4 "average" players?

Laura
11-30-2003, 05:13 AM
No kidding! They say they need pitching; they should trade for more of it! The latest rumor has de la rosa replacing capuano. Better or worse for cheeseheads?