PDA

View Full Version : Schilling trade complete

WinningUgly!
11-28-2003, 05:55 PM
BoSox got him. 2 year extention + a raise this year ($12 million)

habibharu
11-28-2003, 06:07 PM
who cares?? we werent gonna get him anyway. lets get poson!!!

Palehose13
11-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Where did you get the info?

Everything that I see says that the deadline has been extended to tomorrow.

MRKARNO
11-28-2003, 06:18 PM
www.espn.com

And also you should care. This really changes the dynamic of the free agent market. The Yankees will probably end up driving up the price on everyone now. But it also means that Boston will be less able to sign FAs.

CHISOXFAN13
11-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
who cares?? we werent gonna get him anyway. lets get poson!!!

Those of us who care about the game of baseball as a whole.

This is a move that will certainly change the complexion of the remainder of the offseason.

RichH55
11-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

This is a move that will certainly change the complexion of the remainder of the offseason.

Should help....especially if it was a three way deal that sends Sexton to Arizona......We want LA to "want" Konerko

Palehose13
11-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
www.espn.com

And also you should care. This really changes the dynamic of the free agent market. The Yankees will probably end up driving up the price on everyone now. But it also means that Boston will be less able to sign FAs.

Thanks.

This does have an impact on the White Sox, if they are serious about getting another proven starting pitcher.

:whoflungpoo

WinningUgly!
11-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Should help....especially if it was a three way deal that sends Sexton to Arizona......We want LA to "want" Konerko

According to ESPN News, the deal only involves Boston & Arizona...Fossum & Lyon to AZ.

Also...
CHIBA (Kyodo) The Chiba Lotte Marines are showing interest in acquiring South Korean slugger Lee Seung Yeop, who hit 56 home runs to break the Asian single-season mark this year.
Lotte acting owner Akio Shigemitsu said he would soon discuss the matter with manager Bobby Valentine and work on luring Lee to the Pacific League club.

"He's a good player. After I've talked with Valentine, I'd like to make some inquires in South Korea," said Shigemitsu.

Lee, a first baseman who recently declared free agency from the Samsung Lions, became South Korea's national hero after breaking Sadaharu Oh's 1964 mark this season and has drawn the interest of several major league clubs, including the Los Angeles Dodgers.

If the Dodgers land Lee, forget about them taking Konerko.
Japan Times Linky (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getsp.pl5?sb20031128a1.htm)

Soxfest
11-28-2003, 09:24 PM
Good move, Epstein is a good GM

StillMissOzzie
11-29-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

I agree. A high tide floats all of the boats, and higher salaries will affect everyone, whether it's in the salary demands of the remaining free agents OR in the arbitration requests.

In particular, you can now expect the Yankees to outbid the Astros to keep Petite, and this may affect the salary demands of the likes of Ponson, Millwood, and even Colon.

SMO
:gulp:

RichH55
11-29-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
I agree. A high tide floats all of the boats, and higher salaries will affect everyone, whether it's in the salary demands of the remaining free agents OR in the arbitration requests.

In particular, you can now expect the Yankees to outbid the Astros to keep Petite, and this may affect the salary demands of the likes of Ponson, Millwood, and even Colon.

SMO
:gulp:

But there is also a thing called scarcity.....only so many teams willing to pony up

Schilling essentially takes the Red Sox out of the minds of many FAS(sans a few closers)...and this will add some money to Petites bottom line.......but without that many teams to play off each other, this could hurt the leverage of many an agent

Brian26
11-29-2003, 06:06 AM
Yankees probably go HARD after resigning Petitte and also Colon now.

MHOUSE
11-29-2003, 01:33 PM
The Yankees are going to sign a free agent pitcher now to even the score. I gotta believe one of Pettite, Colon, Ponson, or Millwood is headed there. Those are the big four IMO. I think it'll be:

Colon - NYY
Millwood - Philly
Pettite - one of the Texas teams
Ponson - CWS?

I could see Colon possibly coming back or maybe KW making a play for Ponson. But other than that I don't see Pettite or Millwood coming here. In all honesty I don't see any of these guys coming here.....

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
?
?

*sigh* :?: