PDA

View Full Version : Todd Walker would like to be a White Sox?

Jjav829
11-28-2003, 12:06 PM
Was reading a piece of ESPN Insider about the Yankees not being used by free agents, and I stumbled onto a piece about the market for Todd Walker heating up. It talks about a bunch of teams looking to use Walker at certain positions (ie Tampa Bay wants him as a 3B and DH, the Mets at 2B, the Giants at 1B, etc.). It says Walker is looking for a contract like the one Raul Ibanez got (3 years $13.25 million). And then, this quote by his agent Alan Meersand:

"Most guys would love to bask in the obscurity of Tampa Bay or Kansas City," said Walker's agent, Alan Meersand. "This is a guy who wants to play for a big-market club like the Yankees, the Mets, the Cubs, the White Sox, the Dodgers or the Red Sox. This is his first choice."

The White Sox....a big market club? WHA!? Did he actually call the White Sox a big market club in the same sentence with the Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Dodgers, and Red Sox?

For the record, the teams listed as wanting Walker at a certain position include the following:
-The Cubs who would want him at 1B. Now that they have Lee, that is gone but who knows whether they would want him at 2B.
-The Royals who wanted him at 3B if they lost Randa. Now that he is back, I don't know where their interest stands but he has a supposed meeting scheduled with Allan Baird for December 3rd in Denver.

Just some interesting stuff for those of you who are interested in Walker at 2nd base for us. Based on his agent, it sounds like he might have some interest in being a White Sox. Who knows if the Sox share the feeling.

Frank the Tank
11-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Is there a singular way to say White Sox? What the hell is a sox anyway?

soxtalker
11-28-2003, 03:16 PM
I have to question the agent's assumption that most guys would like to bask in a small market town. I would expect that it is the reverse.

Now, the Sox are probably a large-market club from the perspective of getting TV coverage and having a better chance at endorsement contracts. Make the comparison with KC or TB, not the Cubs or Yankees.

Jjav829
11-29-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Is there a singular way to say White Sox? What the hell is a sox anyway?

Not really. Some people say will say "white sock" as singular but since it is spelled White Sox and not White Socks, the singular is the same as the plural.

soxnut
11-29-2003, 01:39 PM
Maybe if they would have stuck with White Stockings, we could say White Stocking :smile:

Soxfest
11-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Walker is not needed, Sox have enough utility guys already

RichH55
11-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Soxfest
Walker is not needed, Sox have enough utility guys already

He's a good everyday 2B....I would definately see what his asking price is

Laura
11-30-2003, 04:44 AM
He absolutely mashes righties, but he'd have to be platooned vs. lefties. Defense is pretty brutal from what I've seen.

Never hurts to ask about price!

Jjav829
11-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Laura
He absolutely mashes righties, but he'd have to be platooned vs. lefties. Defense is pretty brutal from what I've seen.

Never hurts to ask about price!

Welcome Aboard! :D:

SouthSideHitman
11-30-2003, 06:08 PM
I think that Walker is the best realistic option out there for the Sox for second, considering the other contenders are Vina and Alomar, however if he's talking about a big market team, I'd bet he's thinking big market money and the Sox shouldn't waste money on him without shoring up the pitching first.

TaylorStSox
11-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Great! Another marginally good hitter with a brick for a glove. That's just what this team needs more of. I'd take Alomar or Vina over 2 Todd Walkers.