PDA

View Full Version : Phase 5 of Renovations: Possible Painting of Seats to Green

Hangar18
11-28-2003, 07:59 AM
Check out the end of the story regarding the Renovations.
Apparently, the SOX are Indeed thinking of turning the seats GREEN. But painting them? not so sure about that .....

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031120soxmain,1,7611664.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

hsnterprize
11-28-2003, 08:14 AM
I think green seats will be a nice improvement to what will turn out to be a great ballpark. Not that is isn't a great place to watch a game, anyway, but I've been one of those who've criticized the place. I think the Sox have dont a great job in renovating that place. Now, let's get that team on the field in order.

Who knows...maybe there's a paint that can hold well on plastic seats. But I think they'll replace the seats entirely.

Realist
11-28-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Apparently, the SOX are Indeed thinking of turning the seats GREEN. But painting them? not so sure about that .....

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031120soxmain,1,7611664.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

I saw a similar remark in a Sun-Times article earlier in the week. I still think painting the seats would be dumb. Just sell all the current blue seats for $50 a pop to us fan type characters (I'd buy a whole row myself) and use the money to buy brand new green seats.

Presto!! Everybody's happy. :smile: (at least until Colon signs with the Yankees and Mags is dealt)

Hangar18
11-28-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Realist
Just sell all the current blue seats for $50 a pop to us fan type characters (I'd buy a whole row myself) and use the money to buy brand new green seats.

Presto!! Everybody's happy. :smile: (at least until Colon signs with the Yankees and Mags is dealt)

Im going to buy the Actual Seats I have for my season ticket
package! Wouldnt it be Bizarre if they painted the seats
LIME GREEN, like in old comiskey?

anewman35
11-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

I wouldn't assume that newspaper reporters know what the hell they are talking about. Remember the article that said that they were changing the slope of the upper deck? Um, no. Maybe the Sox just said something about green seats and he assumed paint. I'll believe it when I see it.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-28-2003, 09:41 AM
The Sox held their press conference on the fan deck last week. Terry Savirese was there fielding questions. I believe what he told Channel Seven (I'm going by memory) was that several options are being considered for next winter's renovations. He mentioned green seats as one of those possiblities but never mentioned painting them.

Clearly the Sox have not finalized plans for 2005. We'll just have to wait and see. Personally, I hope they never paint the seats any color. Go visit Memories of Old Comiskey Park (http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Stands.htm) and see what happens to the risers after you start applying paint to the seats. It's a mess.

Brian26
11-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Personally, I hope they never paint the seats any color. Go visit Memories of Old Comiskey Park (http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Stands.htm) and see what happens to the risers after you start applying paint to the seats. It's a mess.

I don't think they're stupid enough to do that. Painting wood (as they did in Old Comiskey) and painting plastic are two separate things. The seats would need to be torn out and replaced.

Rocky Soprano
11-28-2003, 10:18 AM
I personally dont care if the seats were freaking pink as long as the team starts winning!

Frank the Tank
11-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Just sell all the current blue seats for $50 a pop to us fan type characters (I'd buy a whole row myself) and use the money to buy brand new green seats.

This is a very good point. If they were able to dump the blue seats for $50 a piece, none of the U.S. Cell contract money would need to be spent on seats during phase V. I'm not sure how much new seats cost, but it can't be more than $50. I would like to see them buy all padded seats, but still keep bleachers in the outfield.

CLR01
11-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
This is a very good point. If they were able to dump the blue seats for $50 a piece, none of the U.S. Cell contract money would need to be spent on seats during phase V. I'm not sure how much new seats cost, but it can't be more than $50. I would like to see them buy all padded seats, but still keep bleachers in the outfield.

You don't really believe they will be able to sell all 40,000+ seats do you?

I say skip the padded seats and go straight to the Lazy Boys.
Padded seats are a bad idea. If they go with a cloth fabric it becomes a sponge when it rains (and for a few days after the rain has stopped) and no one will want to sit in them. If they go with a vinyl type material anybody that sits down on them on a warm sunny day gets burned. Buy a car with leather and you learn this real fast. If you want padding buy a seat cushion.

Frank the Tank
11-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
You don't really believe they will be able to sell all 40,000+ seats do you?
[.

I still can't believe they sold out of the Upper Deck seats. I guess there is a demand. I'm sick of the hot seat complaints. The seat is going get hot on a summer day no matter what. Just sit on the damn seat and let it burn your butt for 5 seconds. Not really that big of a deal.

MarqSox
11-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
I personally dont care if the seats were freaking pink as long as the team starts winning!
Agreed. I never really saw the big deal with the blue seats. So they're blue. Get over it, they look fine.

CLR01
11-28-2003, 08:57 PM
I still can't believe they sold out of the Upper Deck seats. I guess there is a demand.

Yeah but that was only a few thousand. My guess is they could unload <5000 more and the rest would sit in a warehosue.

I'm sick of the hot seat complaints.

I am sick of the seat complaints in general. It is a seat, no more, no less. Its purpose is not to look good but to provide a place for the fans to sit. The current seats serve that purpose just fine.

voodoochile
11-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
I am sick of the seat complaints in general. It is a seat, no more, no less. Its purpose is not to look good but to provide a place for the fans to sit. The current seats serve that purpose just fine.

I agree and I am skeptical of any paint job lasting for long. There are a lot of idiots and all of them have keys. How long before the paint on most of the seats has been acratched off to memorialize lovers, haters, 12-YO kids who have learned how to spell ****, etc. etc. This could end up being a really really ugly move in a couple of years.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I agree and I am skeptical of any paint job lasting for long. There are a lot of idiots and all of them have keys. How long before the paint on most of the seats has been acratched off to memorialize lovers, haters, 12-YO kids who have learned how to spell ****, etc. etc. This could end up being a really really ugly move in a couple of years.

Given all the high brow discussions we have enjoyed here, I'm shocked sir-- shocked!-- that you would suggest we Sox Fans would carve our names into the seats.

I think blue etchings on green-painted seats would look pretty awesome!

:bandance:

voodoochile
11-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Given all the high brow discussions we have enjoyed here, I'm shocked sir-- shocked!-- that you would suggest we Sox Fans would carve our names into the seats.

I think blue etchings on green-painted seats would look pretty awesome!

:bandance:

I am sure no one from this site would carve "www.flyingsock.com" into any seat in the park...

:supernana:

Thunderstruck30
11-28-2003, 11:50 PM
I dont understand why some of u dont like the blue seats. The stadium looks fine with the blue ones. And if they are going to change to green, buy new ones, dont paint the current ones.

IronFisk
11-28-2003, 11:54 PM
Alright, I think a much BETTER idea would be just to keep the bleu seats - the new color scheme seems to work fine with them. Instead, use that bitchin' brick cover all over the freakin' place! Anywhere there is concrete, now you have brick facia. Simple.

Cheap? HELL NO, but neither would buying a s$%tload of new seats! One of the coolest brick treatments would be in our bullpen, on that wall in the background where there is a hideous billboard now.

It makes perfect sense to have our relievers warming up in front of that brick wall - they are pretty much a joke already. :D:

soxnut
11-29-2003, 12:46 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IronFisk
[B]Alright, I think a much BETTER idea would be just to keep the bleu seats - the new color scheme seems to work fine with them. Instead, use that bitchin' brick cover all over the freakin' place! Anywhere there is concrete, now you have brick facia. Simple.

Cheap? HELL NO, but neither would buying a s$%tload of new seats! One of the coolest brick treatments would be in our bullpen, on that wall in the background where there is a hideous billboard now.

I don't know why there is this faction of folks who have this idea that billboards are hideous and some, who also think that it's some kind of scar on a ballpark just to make more money. Billboards have been on the ballpark landscape since the beginning, and are part of the character of a ballpark. :cool:

IronFisk
11-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Billboards have been on the ballpark landscape since the beginning, and are part of the character of a ballpark. :cool: [/B]

Sure - but there are LIMITS. I think the Sox could do without the one in the pen, and the Armitron sign in the Bullpen bar - if there are fans there, we should SEE them.

soxnut
11-29-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by IronFisk
Sure - but there are LIMITS. I think the Sox could do without the one in the pen, and the Armitron sign in the Bullpen bar - if there are fans there, we should SEE them.

Ok, I can understand your point. I'd prefer no sign in front of the bullpen bar myself. :cool:

nasox
11-29-2003, 10:40 PM
i have said this before and will say this again. I don't think green seats are really necessary for these reasons:

1. Blue seats fit pretty well with the current dark grey/black color scheme (although dark blue would be really kickass). Green would fit worse than the current seats, IMO. I think that dark green, light green, lime green, puke green, whatever, would just clash with what we have in place (ark green would be ok at best tho).

2. Blue seast are unique to our park, excluding yankee and skydome, and there are just too many green seats all over the place, especially in those retro parks. Retro was the craze of the 90s, and as one can witness, are not "en vogue" currently. There are too many retro parks with their wannabe quirks that are forced. USCF is uniform, and that is not detrimental to it. It adds uniqueness, and a different charm to the park. Green would be too retro and our current seats and color scheme are new age, and modern IMO.

So why waste the money? Besides, if we have 2/3 of the park full, no one will really notice, especially with the smaller UD and new roof. A pretty cool (but also unnecessary and probably unrealistic) would be light or dark grey seats. Probably light because dark would get to hot.

TRL
11-29-2003, 10:40 PM
I've never understood the obsession with green seats. Sure they probably look better than blue, but does it really make that big of a difference? In my short 23 years of existence I've been to 14 different ballparks and can honestly say that I've never come out of the game remembering what color the seats were. How often do you really notice the color of the seats? If you get there early for BP (which I always like to) that's the only time you really notice the seats because they are empty. If you are sitting there during the game critiquing the seat color, you're probably not at the right place to begin with.

For the amount of money it will take to paint or replace the seats, I say keep them in and spend the money on something else.

soxnut
11-30-2003, 12:21 AM
The two new ballparks this year, Petco and Citizens Bank Park, will have blue seats. If anyone cares.

I like green seats. I think green looks better on television. For some reason, on tv, blue seats and blue backgrounds look fuzzy. Green doesn't. Colors also can have an effect on moods as well. To me, blue seats look cold and sterile, green brings a sense of warmth IMO. Originally the seats in New Comiskey were going to be green(at least in a couple of drawings they were). I wish they just would have kept that. Or if they were going to go blue a much darker shade would have a warmer effect.

If they stick with the blue, fine. But, I hope that every other ounce of blue is removed: the wall padding, dugout rail padding, tarp, the trim on the glass of the arched windows etc. I think it's very drab.

Does any of this draw my attention away from the game? No, except when the Sox hae done something stupid on the field while I'm at the game and I'm lamenting, staring off into the upper deck, and seeing that ugly blue color---no comfort there.

There has got to be something wrong with having blue seats, or there wouldn't be this argument. :smile:

hsnterprize
11-30-2003, 09:47 AM
"The two new ballparks this year, Petco and Citizens Bank Park, will have blue seats..."

That's mainly because blue is in the teams', the Philadelphia Phillies and San Diego Padres, color scheme.

I can understand both sides of the "green seats" argument. I can see why people are so pent up about not having green seats, and I can see where the color of the seats doesn't matter as long as there are people sitting in them. Personally, I think in concert with the Old Comiskey, the seats should be green. Granted, green seats were all the rage in the 90's "retro ballpark" trend, but don't forget, the White Sox had the chance to START THE TREND. Instead, Reinsdorf, for whatever reasons, decided to ignore that possibility. And we all know what happened as a result of it. Now until USCF is torn down and replaced, the Sox' home stadium will always be under some kind of scrutiny. Granted, these renovations are excellent. But we'll always be in a state of "catching up" with other team's ballparks instead of being the front-runner like Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore. We don't even have to think about how the Cell/Wrigley comparisons will turn out.

I notice that the parks that have been coming up over the past couple of years like Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati and the 2 new places opening next year are slighting away from the "completely retro" fad. Yes, there are old-time quirks and stuff, but do you notice more of a modern look and style to those places? Even the proposed new stadium for the Florida Marlins has a somewhat-modern look to it even though it may only hold just over 38,000. In other words, the totally-retro fad is basically over. Other new stadia that are coming up for baseball may follow the leads of places like Cincinnati before looking to Baltimore for their inspiration.

Frank the Tank
12-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Green seats would definitely improve the aesthetic quality of USCF. I don't know how much the costs of new seats are, but I don't think that installing new seats would be that much of a financial burden.

IMO, Great American Ballpark is the second worst new ballpark built since new comiskey (Tropicana being first of course). Much like the original new comiskey, this ballpark is over-loaded with concrete and lacks intimacy. And also like new Comiskey, I think Cincinnati fans are going to complain about this ballpark as soon as the excitement of having a new field dies. Just look at the following picture, does this look like a baseball field to anyone?

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/nl/gab254-3.jpg

IMHO, I don't think the retro trend is going anywhere. In other words, I don't think that 10 years from now we are going to wish we had Comiskey II back or a ballpark that looks like great american.

hsnterprize
12-01-2003, 08:18 AM
Reds fans may complain about the place soon like you said, but I went to "RedsZone", their fan website, and asked the posters what they thought of the place. The place looks decent in my opinion...it's not as "retro" as Oriole Park at Camden Yards, but the aesthetics around the place (i.e., the surrounding area, the river behind the outfield seats, etc.) can make up for the "lack of intimacy" you cite. Granted, the upped deck, for example, looks just as high as USCF was before this off season, but you'll never know that if you're looking at a riverfront scene instead of a concrete jungle like we Sox fans were for the past 12 years. Even though GABP faces away from downtown Cincinnati, fans in the right field seats can see the city through the gap in the upper deck behind home plate...at least there's some eye candy. The upper-deck bleachers in left field are a nice touch. And...there's a lot of Reds history documented within the ballpark. So at least while there isn't a brick facade outside the building like Oriole Park, when you go to the GABP, you know you're entering "Reds Country". And think about this...compare what the Reds and Reds' fans have now compared to old Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field. That's probably another reason why there's so much excitement about the place. But...we'll see what the long-term effects of GABP will be.

Mammoo
12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Hey, I appreciate the powers that be trying to give us a better ballpark, but I draw the line on the seat color; painting them green is ****ing ridiculous. That would be a colossal waste of money! :?:

doublem23
12-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

:reinsy
If you write your name on one of our new green seats, we'll send someone to write "sucks" underneath. Won't you be the fool then?

inta
12-01-2003, 11:11 PM
they should bring back the gold boxes too.

Frank the Tank
12-02-2003, 02:47 AM
Speaking of installing green seats, is there anyway to "cover-up" all the visible concrete around the stadium? In my opinion, it looks terrible and painting all the concrete grey last year didn't help matters much. Maybe they could cover it with something similar to that dark green ornamental steel recently installed in the concourse renovations. Maybe brick, or a combination of the two?

Frank the Tank
12-08-2003, 12:42 AM
I got bored so I took a couple of minutes and changed the blue seats to green from the ballpark renderings. I really like how green seats would look. If they could somehow cover up the concrete with brick, it would look pretty good.

IronFisk
12-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Speaking of installing green seats, is there anyway to "cover-up" all the visible concrete around the stadium? In my opinion, it looks terrible and painting all the concrete grey last year didn't help matters much. Maybe they could cover it with something similar to that dark green ornamental steel recently installed in the concourse renovations. Maybe brick, or a combination of the two?

Nice job Frank on your "modification" of the image - looks pretty neat. As for the concrete, I made the point earlier that instead of new seats, and far better idea would be to cover all the exposed stone with the same brick facia that has been used in the concourses. Either with blue or green seats, it would look sweet.

By the way, can you post another image with the old "lime" green seats at the Old Comiskey? I think that's the prevailing view here.

THANKS! :D:

BeerHandle
12-08-2003, 08:51 AM
I got bored so I took a couple of minutes and changed the blue seats to green from the ballpark renderings. I really like how green seats would look. If they could somehow cover up the concrete with brick, it would look pretty good.

Great image! I hope they change back to green!

soxnut
12-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I like the modification too. Any green colored seats is fine with me, anything but that blue :smile:

anewman35
12-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I like the modification too. Any green colored seats is fine with me, anything but that blue :smile:

Pink? Red? Purple? Yellow?

Reconsidering that blue? :cool:

soxnut
12-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Pink? Red? Purple? Yellow?

Reconsidering that blue? :cool:

I meant anything in the green spectrum, even pea green or pee green or baby poop green. :D:

Rocky Soprano
12-08-2003, 10:28 AM
I dont really care what color the seats are but since everyone seems to want this, I would be interested to see how it would look.

Frater Perdurabo
12-08-2003, 02:49 PM
I think the seats ought to be ORANGE

That would be original.

Frater Perdurabo
12-08-2003, 02:51 PM
They could make them TEAL in farthest reaches of the upper deck, as if anyone is going to sit up there!

Or they could make them all DEEPPINK, like the odds of JR increasing payroll!

CubKilla
12-08-2003, 10:27 PM

Wow. I didn't think it would make a difference but I really like the dark green compared to the blue. Good job Frank.