PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans Around the Country

southpaw40
11-28-2003, 08:35 AM
I've never been fortunate enough to make it to Chicago to see the Sox play. I try to get to Baltimore to see them play every time they are there. And it seems like there are a lot of other Sox fans there, too. So, I was wondering, what is the weirdest circumstances under which you have met other Sox fans?
This really happened to me: I had been to a night game at old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore to see the Sox, and had stopped into an all-night eatery on the way back to the hotel. It was pretty late, and not too many people were in the place. It was quiet until this guy walks in and shouts "who owns the car outside with the CHISOX license plates"? (I live in Virginia, and had requested these plates.) Well, having been subjected to the Oriole fans ridicule of me as a Sox fan, I was expecting the worse.
But I didn't hesitate to tell him the car belonged to me. He said "So you're the one who got that plate,,when I requested it for my car, the DMV told me it had already been issued!" We had a nice conversation and talked about our experience at the game that night!

Realist
11-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Well.... this one time I was in the upper deck in row 28 of the right field corner at Comiskey II and there was this one guy that stumbled past me with his head tossed back and a handkerchief held firmly against his nostrils.....

:D:

Hangar18
11-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Back in 1998, I went to see the SOX play the Tigers in old Tiger Stadium. It was a beautiful day for a game, and of the 40,000
that were at the game that day, easily 40% were SOX fans.
After the game, theres a dive-bar across the street from the stadium called SHELLYS. Its got big RedWings logos all over the walls, and was crowded with Sox Fans (much to the chagrin of Tiger fans in the bar, who were trying to start fights, couldnt believe that). The bar was JamPacked, and I was squeezed up
to the bar, trying to order a beer. I was wearing my road gray
McDowell jersey, when a voice behind me goes "BlackJack McDowell! dude, that guy was my favorite player man!" he said tapping my shoulder. I turned around, recognizing the voice and it was a guy we'd lost touch with for a number of years! We were shocked to see each other to say the least. He ran back to find his wife "your never going to believe who is here". Pretty Funny. They thought I moved to Detroit!

Corkinator
11-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Summer of 2000 at the Who concert in Tampa. I'm standing by my seat on the main floor before the show starts wearing my black Sox jersey when some big guy sees me and yells "White Sox! Yeah man, alright!" and gives me a big bear hug. O course, we were winning back then.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Granted I didn't wear too much Sox paraphenalia to tip them off, but in my entire 2-1/2 years of living in Ohio I never met a single other Sox Fan. What little recognition I received was in Cleveland because their fans enjoyed amusing themselves at my expense. Otherwise I spent most of my time explaining that "I'm a Sox Fan" meant the *White* Sox, not the red ones.

I felt so alone... <sigh>

:smile:

Baby Fisk
11-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Toronto's a weird city. No one wears Jays stuff except to Skydome. Everywhere else in the city, it's Yankees, BoSox, White Sox (surprisingly a lot -- the 83 SOX logo is huge up here, expecially among the hip-hop crowd), and a smattering of other teams.

Weirdest moment meeting another SOX fan: spring of 1993, a friend dragged me to a meeting on campus to elect delegates to a political convention. I'm sitting at the back of the room, not much interested in what's going on. A guy walks in wearing a White Sox jacket and we strike up a conversation. Roberto Hernandez was closer at the time and a couple of days before had mowed down 6 batters in a row to close out a game. We were cooing over it for the whole meeting. Amazingly, this guy also had a licence plate (Ontario) that said CHISOX. :lsox