PDA

View Full Version : Flash Gets 2 Year Offer from NYY

WinningUgly!
11-27-2003, 08:35 PM
November 27, 2003 -- While starting pitching and right field have been the major area of focus, the Yankees aren't ignoring their bullpen and have made offers to righty Tom Gordon and lefty Gabe White.
Gordon, 36, has received a two-year, $7 million offer from the Yankees to help bridge the gap between starters and Mariano Rivera, whose contract runs out after this coming season.

White, who appeared in 12 games for the Yankees after being acquired from the Reds on July 31, has received a two-year offer for $5 million and is very close to accepting it. The Yankees are also close to a two-year contract worth $3.5 million with lefty Felix Heredia.

Gordon, a 15-year veteran who missed the 2000 season with elbow surgery, appeared in 66 games for the White Sox in 2003, going 7-6 with a 3.16 ERA. Still armed with one of the best curveballs in the game, Gordon fanned 91 batters in 74 innings.

Gordon, who saved 46 games for the Red Sox in 1998, made $1.4 million last year.

Linky (http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/43191.htm)

mike squires
11-27-2003, 08:42 PM
Considering Gordon's track record with injuries they can have him at that price. He did a hell of a job and I remember him getting us out of some crucial situations last year but with with our budget the way it is I don't think we can afford him anyway.

WinningUgly!
11-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Considering Gordon's track record with injuries they can have him at that price. He did a hell of a job and I remember him getting us out of some crucial situations last year but with with our budget the way it is I don't think we can afford him anyway.

Maybe we can get Osuna back. He should be cheap. :?:

munchman33
11-28-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Maybe we can get Osuna back. He should be cheap. :?:

He should be crappy, too.

WinningUgly!
11-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
He should be crappy, too.

Only crappy? That would make him the best righty in our pen.

Soxfest
11-28-2003, 08:13 PM
If Flash is getting that deal from NY, let them have him.

duke of dorwood
11-28-2003, 08:20 PM
This is the first ramification of the Schilling to Boston deal. It wont be the last

Thunderstruck30
11-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Only crappy? That would make him the best righty in our pen.

Better than Koch?

Lip Man 1
11-30-2003, 11:18 PM
The Sporting News radio is reporting that TV stations in New York have stated on air, that Gordon is ready to accept the two year deal from the Yankees.

Lip

Chisoxfn
12-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Sporting News radio is reporting that TV stations in New York have stated on air, that Gordon is ready to accept the two year deal from the Yankees.

Lip

How does the compensation work. I know the Sox have till the 7th to offer arbitration and if they offer arbitration as a Type A Player the Sox would get the Yanks 1st round pick as well as a comp pick.

My question is, since the Sox have yet to offer him Arb, can they still do it before the 7th or do they have to do it before he signs the contract.

Maybe I'm slow and missed that the Sox offered him arb, but I'm assuming they would do it, especially since they know he will sign.

I have assumed that Sully (if they can offer it to him...I think they can cause he was listed as a comp free agent; although maybe they can't since they declined his option) and Colon will also be offered arbitration. I doubt Alomar and Everett are offered it. Maybe an outside chance they offer it to Alomar, but both made so much last year that I just don't see it happening.

Thanks for whoever answers this question

MHOUSE
12-01-2003, 07:50 PM
2 years for $7 million?!? They can have him and he'd be stupid to hold out for more from them or anyone else. Flash isn't worth more than $2-2.5 million. He did a good enough job for us and didn't get injured. I can't complain much about Flash's time on the southside so I won't. White for 2 years $5 million seems like a good deal.

Two years $3.5 million for Heredia is a steal IMO. I'd offer him 2 years for $4.0 million and then non-tender Schoenweiss. So the it'll be the Yankee bullpen vs. the Red Sox rotation. That should be quite a race out there with Sheffield and Schilling in the mix. Fun to watch for the rest of us..... :whiner:

emaholic
12-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Psh, screw him then!

MHOUSE
12-01-2003, 10:35 PM
OFFICIAL: 2 years $7.25 million

This is per WGN News. That's so close to $4 million a year for a decent reliever with an injury waiting to happen. They can have him for that money. Good riddance.

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2003, 08:31 AM
I agree, for that money Flash can speak in third person all he wants in the Bronx!