PDA

View Full Version : What would it take Sox fans?

JaylisJP
11-27-2003, 05:52 PM
I'm curious what other Sox fans think of this question, as it is one I have posed to myself in light of this ridiculous offseason the Sox are putting us through.

What would it take for you to simply turn your back on the Sox...just decide not to care about them anymore. Forget about tradition or who your father cheered for, or however many years you were rooting for the South Siders...and this by no means a switch to cheer for the Cubs.

This is a legitimate question of our limits as fans of a team that had treating its fans horribly for so long. So what would it take?

The trading of Maggs? Carlos?

More insulting deferred payment, incentive-laden contracts?

A mid-season sell-off once KW and JR realize we'll finish under .500?

Or what if we look decent and could win the AL Central, but JR tightens the wallet again and decides not to bring in a few more names to give us a run in the playoffs?

I don't know, personally, I'm a huge Sox fan, but I'm one on my last few nerves, and in my opinion, it may save a few years at the end of my life if I decide to take a few years off from the Sox now. After all, if Reinsdorf, the owner, doesn't care about winning, and the lethargic, underachieving, we-need-something-to-light-a-fire-under-us-every-single-day team doesn't care about winning....why the heck should we?

PaulDrake
11-27-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by JaylisJP
I'm curious what other Sox fans think of this question, as it is one I have posed to myself in light of this ridiculous offseason the Sox are putting us through.

What would it take for you to simply turn your back on the Sox...just decide not to care about them anymore. Forget about tradition or who your father cheered for, or however many years you were rooting for the South Siders...and this by no means a switch to cheer for the Cubs.

This is a legitimate question of our limits as fans of a team that had treating its fans horribly for so long. So what would it take?

Or what if we look decent and could win the AL Central, but JR tightens the wallet again and decides not to bring in a few more names to give us a run in the playoffs?

I don't know, personally, I'm a huge Sox fan, but I'm one on my last few nerves, and in my opinion, it may save a few years at the end of my life if I decide to take a few years off from the Sox now. After all, if Reinsdorf, the owner, doesn't care about winning, and the lethargic, underachieving, we-need-something-to-light-a-fire-under-us-every-single-day team doesn't care about winning....why the heck should we? As a very recent President of the US once said "I feel your pain." I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. I do think the 04 season is very important. If the Sox tank things will get ugly, and with the rise of the cubs it couldn't happen at a worse time.

ewokpelts
11-27-2003, 06:48 PM
the kids can play 2

Jurr
11-27-2003, 07:09 PM
The only way that I would ever stop being a Sox fan is if my ears and eyes were cut out and people had no way of signaling to me if they won or not. And, I'd still probably be curious.
Sox fans don't quit. Quitting is not included in that damn recessive gene that gets passed down to us making us love the team in the first place.

duke of dorwood
11-27-2003, 07:19 PM
I've been a fan for all my life, I've never been so sick of a regime as I am of this one. From the condiscending talk about Bill Veeck, to the whining about money, to the arrogant stance that Sox fans will take anything they feed us or lump it, I am as close as I have ever been to stopping my yearly donations to the Reinsdorf estate.

joecrede
11-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Nothing could make me turn my back on this bunch. White Sox fans who make a conscious decision not to go to games were never fans in my opinion. We can't afford to stop going because there are not enough of us for the team to sustain on the south side if we did.

nut_stock
11-27-2003, 10:49 PM
They would have to physically leave Illinois for me to not be a fan

Jjav829
11-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Nothing. I am a White Sox fan. Only contraction would make me forget about the Sox. Even if they moved to another state, I would still follow them. I might not follow them as closely but I would still be a fan just as I am a fan of other teams of out the state that I can't watch all the time like the Kings and 49ers. Hopefully that day never comes though.

voodoochile
11-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock

That would probably do it for me too. I cannot otherwise picture a time that I would stop rooting for them. Though there may come a day when they stop getting any of my money until JR sells.

Thunderstruck30
11-27-2003, 11:39 PM

Same here.

munchman33
11-28-2003, 12:31 AM
No matter how bad things get or how angry at them I get, I will always love the White Sox. Just remember, at the end of every decent stretch there's a period where the team will stink. That will be followed by rebuilding, and hope anew.

Players will come and go. That's the nature of the game. But the White Sox will always be there, and I will too.

Realist
11-28-2003, 06:50 AM
This is a valid question. At what point do we cease being thinking fans and start becoming the idiot Flub fans that support their team and continue spending good money on terrible product? For years we've made fun of the Flub fans for continuing to pack the Urinal while their teams sucked canal water. They called themselves "loyal fans" while we labeled them "suckers" for being taken for a ride by the Tribune Company.

I'm about to enter my 4th year as a season ticket holder for the Sox and for the first time I'm concerned about becoming the equivilant of Flub supporter. It really doesn't sit well with me. While I'll always root for the Sox and hope they win every game, I don't believe I should be paying to see bad product. I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan too, but if he was starring in "Police Acedemy XIX", he wouldn't be getting a dime of my money.

To be honest, I grew up an ice hockey fan and always hated baseball as a kid. I loved hockey, played hockey, and breathed hockey. The weird thing was, I hated baseball but loved the White Sox 'cause my mom had season tix through her work in '77 and some sort of disease took over me over the course of that year. "Screw baseball, Go White Sox!!" was my motto. Watching the Sox taught me to love what baseball is (or could be) and every year my appreciation for the game grows in leaps and bounds.

While I may have once gone to see 3xs as many Blackhawk games as I did Sox games per year, I now limit my Hawk game appearances to ZERO. That's how much I despise Bill Wirtz and what he's done to that sport in Chicago. I believe there's a place in hell for those of his sort.

I still pull for the Hawks and hope they succeed, but Wirtz will never see one more of my hard earned dollars as long as he draws a breath. It is with a heavy heart that I say that Jerry Reinsdorf appears to be headed down that same path.

Thanks for the new UD roof, but 75 wins is for northsiders, Uncle Jerry.

seventytwo
11-28-2003, 06:59 AM
If the screwjob of Carlton Fisk didn't cause me to turn my back (and it didn't) I guess nothing will.

The Terry Bevington era didn't...

The last two years of JM didn't...

The Jaime Navarro years didn't...(although it was close)

Short of the Sox hiring Osama as roving minor league batting instructor, I'm not going anywhere. Just too much invested in them.

gosox41
11-28-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by JaylisJP

I don't know, personally, I'm a huge Sox fan, but I'm one on my last few nerves, and in my opinion, it may save a few years at the end of my life if I decide to take a few years off from the Sox now. After all, if Reinsdorf, the owner, doesn't care about winning, and the lethargic, underachieving, we-need-something-to-light-a-fire-under-us-every-single-day team doesn't care about winning....why the heck should we?

For some here it'll never happen. Their hatred of the owner who has been called a lot of worse things then he really is has been going on for years and they're still here complaining and supporting the team.

The fact is this is a web site of die hards. The casual fans may have abandoned the team.

What would get me to root for someone else is if JR went with my quick money plan talked about in another thread where he pretty much vbrougth in all rookies and let the farm system be destroyed.

Unitl that happens I will root for the team. I may gove more of my tix. away this season if it's gong to shape up how I think it is, but deep down I see effort from everyone involved of trying to build a winning team. Unfortunately, it's clear some of those people are incompetent, but at least they're not just sitting around trying to collect a pay check.

Bob

TornLabrum
11-28-2003, 07:26 AM
Here's my guiding philosophy. I don't root for the GM. I don't root for the ownership. I do root for te guys on the field. The only way I cease being a Sox fan is if they move the team out of Chicago. At that point I cease being a major league baseball fan.

hsnterprize
11-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Same here. Ditto.

Nick@Nite
11-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Same here.
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Ditto.

Yep.

Baby Fisk
11-28-2003, 12:23 PM
It's a brutal, painful, yet eternal paradox: rooting for something that inevitably breaks your heart, year after year.

Having watched BoSox fans go through another round of post-season trauma (curse or not) in October, I've been wondering which is worse: to be a White Sox fan or a BoSox fan? Flub fans don't count here because they are idiots.

White Sox - to live in a perpetual state of hopelessness, disappointment and anger.

BoSox - to live in a perpetual state of fear that the next seemingly-inevitable post-season disaster (curse or not) will bring about that fatal heart attack and end your life.

So is it worse to get soooo close and have fate cruelly snatch it away, or is it worse to never get close at all?

I could never stop rooting for (and ponying up for) the White Sox. Wearing that logo is a show of defiance towards 84 years of futility. To take that logo off and put it away forever would be to capitulate. If this makes me a headcase, lock me away.

One day, the Chicago White Sox will win the World Series, and nothing will ever hurt me again (in baseball anyway). If I stop thinking that, then I stop being a baseball fan.

:therapy:

ihatethecubs
11-28-2003, 02:58 PM
as long as the sox play on the southside of chicago i will be a sox fan.

jabrch
11-28-2003, 04:03 PM
I can survive almost anything except leaving the Chicago area. That would certainly be the end of me.

Rocky Soprano
11-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I can survive almost anything except leaving the Chicago area. That would certainly be the end of me.

I feel the same way. As long as The Sox are in Chicago, I will always be a Sox Fan.

NEVER EVER would I go to the dark side.

vegyrex
11-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Does anybody remember former baseball commissioner Peter Ueberroth saying, back when Riensdork was threatening to move the Sox, that he would not interfere in any move. He said since Chicago will still have the Cubs, Sox fans can support them instead.

Yeah, like that was going to happen. :angry:

As long as the Sox remain in Chicago I'll remain a fan.

If they did leave Chicago, no way I'll ever be a Cub fan. I'd rather be stuck in a cave with Osama bin Laden while having a B-52 bomber drop bombs on us than be a Cub fan. :D: