PDA

View Full Version : NY Post Reports Sox Among Teams Interested in Castillo


joecrede
11-27-2003, 09:49 AM
I think there are better ways to spend $15M+ and address the middle infield situation at the same time. It's in the Post so odds on it ain't true. (http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/43199.htm)

siugrad25
11-27-2003, 10:45 AM
According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Marlins are extremely close to re-signing Luis Castillo and Mike Lowell. The story says it might become official on Friday.

From the story:

Two huge pieces of the Marlins' retooling project are about to fall into place.

According to two National League sources, the Marlins were closing in on a deal Wednesday to keep free-agent second baseman Luis Castillo. Only a few minor details remained before the three-year, $15.5 million deal would become official.

It could be announced as soon as Friday, once Castillo returns from a trip to the Dominican Republic.

Link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-marl27nov27,0,7677309.story?coll=sfla-sports-marlins)

From every thing I've been reading down here, the Marlins main priority this offseason this year wasn't I-Rod but making sure they wrapped up their pitchers and kept their leadoff hitters intact. Obviously now with Lowell, Castillo in the mix, they can focus on I-Rod. And they too only have a 60 million payroll....

CubKilla
11-27-2003, 01:04 PM
The Sox only feign interest in anyone that would actually HELP this lousy ballclub. When it comes time to signing them, the Sox are revealed as the FRAUDS that they are.

gosox41
11-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25
According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Marlins are extremely close to re-signing Luis Castillo and Mike Lowell. The story says it might become official on Friday.

From the story:

Two huge pieces of the Marlins' retooling project are about to fall into place.

According to two National League sources, the Marlins were closing in on a deal Wednesday to keep free-agent second baseman Luis Castillo. Only a few minor details remained before the three-year, $15.5 million deal would become official.

It could be announced as soon as Friday, once Castillo returns from a trip to the Dominican Republic.

Link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-marl27nov27,0,7677309.story?coll=sfla-sports-marlins)

From every thing I've been reading down here, the Marlins main priority this offseason this year wasn't I-Rod but making sure they wrapped up their pitchers and kept their leadoff hitters intact. Obviously now with Lowell, Castillo in the mix, they can focus on I-Rod. And they too only have a 60 million payroll....

According to some, the Marlins were going to dismantle their team. One individual said it was proven by the trade of Derek Lee.

I certianly don't expect the Marlins to keep everyone around from last season, but losign a player or 2 hardly signifies dismantling in baseball.

Bob

siugrad25
11-27-2003, 01:43 PM
The Marlins are not going through another fire sale. They simply know they're limitations and are doing a good job, so far, in making the most of their payroll. By trading Lee, they saved $7 million and were able to keep Castillo and re-sign Lowell according to the Sun-Sentinel. And by getting Choi, while he may not be Derrek, was a good pick for a team working with limitations.

It's amazing what one team does to retool while the Sox struggle at trying to dump overpriced players.