PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving

Lip Man 1
11-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all! Only three months till spring training!

Lip

oheeoh...magglio
11-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Woo hoo only 3 months till spring training :D:

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!! :)

Foulke You
11-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Have a festive turkey day everyone. :gulp:

uksoxfan
11-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you all from the UK.

cornball
11-26-2003, 07:44 PM
Same to you...HAPPY THANKSGIVING.....

PaleHoseGeorge
11-26-2003, 07:48 PM
The Wall Street Journal has published this editorial every year since 1961. I don't think they'll mind me posting it here. It's funny how it reminds us that so much that we deal with today is the same as what previous generations have dealt with, too. We all have something to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving, Sox Fans!

Any one whose labors take him into the far reaches of the country, as ours lately have done, is bound to mark how the years have made the land grow fruitful.

This is indeed a big country, a rich country, in a way no array of figures can measure and so in a way past belief of those who have not seen it. Even those who journey through its Northeastern complex, into the Southern lands, across the central plains and to its Western slopes can only glimpse a measure of the bounty of America.

And a traveler cannot but be struck on his journey by the thought that this country, one day, can be even greater. America, though many know it not, is one of the great underdeveloped countries of the world; what it reaches for exceeds by far what it has grasped.

So the visitor returns thankful for much of what he has seen, and, in spite of everything, an optimist about what his country might be. Yet the visitor, if he is to make an honest report, must also note the air of unease that hangs everywhere.

For the traveler, as travelers have been always, is as much questioned as questioning. And for all the abundance he sees, he finds the questions put to him ask where men may repair for succor from the troubles that beset them.

His countrymen cannot forget the savage face of war. Too often they have been asked to fight in strange and distant places, for no clear purpose they could see and for no accomplishment they can measure. Their spirits are not quieted by the thought that the good and pleasant bounty that surrounds them can be destroyed in an instant by a single bomb. Yet they find no escape, for their survival and comfort now depend on unpredictable strangers in far-off corners of the globe.

How can they turn from melancholy when at home they see young arrayed against old, black against white, neighbor against neighbor, so that they stand in peril of social discord. Or not despair when they see that the cities and countryside are in need of repair, yet find themselves threatened by scarcities of the resources that sustain their way of life. Or when, in the face of these challenges, they turn for leadership to men in high places -- only to find those men as frail as any others.

So sometimes the traveler is asked whence will come their succor. What is to preserve their abundance, or even their civility? How can they pass on to their children a nation as strong and free as the one they inherited from their forefathers? How is their country to endure these cruel storms that beset it from without and from within?

Of course the stranger cannot quiet their spirits. For it is true that everywhere men turn their eyes today much of the world has a truly wild and savage hue. No man, if he be truthful, can say that the specter of war is banished. Nor can he say that when men or communities are put upon their own resources they are sure of solace; nor be sure that men of diverse kinds and diverse views can live peaceably together in a time of troubles.

But we can all remind ourselves that the richness of this country was not born in the resources of the earth, though they be plentiful, but in the men that took its measure. For that reminder is everywhere -- in the cities, towns, farms, roads, factories, homes, hospitals, schools that spread everywhere over that wilderness.

We can remind ourselves that for all our social discord we yet remain the longest enduring society of free men governing themselves without benefit of kings or dictators. Being so, we are the marvel and the mystery of the world, for that enduring liberty is no less a blessing than the abundance of the earth.

And we might remind ourselves also, that if those men setting out from Delftshaven had been daunted by the troubles they saw around them, then we could not this autumn be thankful for a fair land.

Daver
11-26-2003, 07:59 PM
I will add my Happy Thanksgiving to all now also,I will be greeting the sunrise in a tree on Thanksgiving morning,with my bow next to me,waiting to reap the bounty of the land.

Mo308oM
11-26-2003, 08:57 PM
happy turkey day all :)

hsnterprize
11-27-2003, 08:07 AM
Although this thread is particularly meant for White Sox fans, I'm directing this towards anyone who has the ability to read. Even if a trolling Cub fan wants to look at this, in this case, he/she is welcomed to. I'm willing to put away my black and silver stripes for one day because this is something for everyone to ponder, regardless of what baseball team you cheer for. So here goes...

Obviously, today is a day to give thanks for many reasons. Family, friends, live, health, faith, and so many others. We live in such a great country that has been blessed moreover by Almighty God that it's easy to forget, and take for granted, the very things we are supposed to hold the most dear. It's eay to forget to call mom, say "I love you" to someone special in our lives, and be careless when we're either driving to Gramda's house or dealing with our kids. Let's face it...our lives are busier than ever, and it's only going to get worse as time goes on. However, there are days like today when we're requested to take a moment of time to reflect, recall, and remember what is most important to us. It is with that mentality that I'll briefly share what is most important to me...

I'm a married man with 2 small boys. I love my wife and I love my kids. With my work schedule as crazy as it is, it's easy for me to forget that in spite of whatever money I make or how much I aspire to better my life, what's most important are the 3 people who count on me the most. Oftentimes, my priorities can get out of whack from time to time, but when I seriously think about my family, they get put back in order quickly. But, when all the accomplishments, and accolades, and this and that are done and gone, one of the only things that are remaining are my immediate family. I love them very much, and I can't imagine life without them.

Of course, I'd like for my career to bloom. But, it's not worth it if I lose my family over a promotion and such. And I suggest to all of you that if you have a family of your own, or if you're close to your folks, take the time to tell them you appreciate them. You never know what words like that will do to bring a family together.

In closing, as we enjoy the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumkin pie, green bean casserole, and whatever other traditional Thanksgiving treats you enjoy, take a moment before you go to sleep watching football to think about what's most important in your life. I trust that in spite of our love for the Sox that there are more important things in our lives the silver and black just can't match. God has blessed us, our families, and our nation as a whole tremendously. Let's take the time to thank Him for our blessings, and then take the time to appreciate them. God bless all of you, go Sox, and Happy Thanksgiving.

voodoochile
11-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Things I'm thankful for...

My parents - who raised me right and always let me know I was loved.
My sisters - who remain close to me through the years even though we now live hundreds of miles apart.
My close friends - who have stood by me in tough times and allowed me to be an uncle to their children.
My nephews and nieces - being Uncle Jimi is one of the great joys in my life.
Waking up on Thanksgiving and knowing that I have things to be thankful for.
George, West, Daver - for creating and maintaining WSI where I found an Internet home. They trusted me to become part of the team and I appreciate it.
Trolls - who come and go in their stupidity allowing me to blow off steam when I sometimes need to.
Waking up in America everyday. When I think of some of the other options, I am forever grateful that fate allowed me to be born here...

Happy Thanksgiving, Everybody! Hope you go to bed full and happy surrounded by people you care about. I know I will...

TornLabrum
11-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Since 1990 we've been through a tornado, some job changes, the death of my dad and both of my wife's parents, and verious other events that seemed like crises at the time. But no matter what happened we got through it and moved on to another stage in our lives.

Life is a journey, and I'm just thankful to be able to take the trip.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Jjav829
11-27-2003, 11:06 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all! Stuff yourselves full of food, then sit back, relax, and strap it down. Go Cowboys!

cheeses_h_rice
11-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

Ah, my favorite holiday of the year...food, family and rest & relaxation (does it get any better than this?).

I am thankful for many things, including my health, my wife, my dog, my family, my friends, and perhaps most importantly my freedom that comes with living in this country, faults and all.

___ Bless America, whatever your beliefs are.

Hangar18
11-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Heh heh, thought Id be the first one to post a Happy Thanksgiving message, but see Lip beat me to it heh heh.
Anyway, to all my WSI friends ive met here, and the ones I
havent met yet, to our CEO here all the way down to the Lurkers who havnt Signed on yet .............. Happy Thanksgiving. Oh, and WooHoo, SpringTraining is coming soon

CLR01
11-27-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Happy Thanksgiving to all! Stuff yourselves full of food, then sit back, relax, and strap it down. Go Cowboys!

"Big D" my ass. Atleast they still have the cheerleaders.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Jjav829
11-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
"Big D" my ass. Atleast they still have the cheerleaders.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Meh. They killed my football picks for this week, but luckily I forgot to start Dallas' defense on my fantasy team and left the Dolphins D in. That helped me big time since Favre wasn't too good. But an 0-2 start to my football picks this week wasn't exactly what I wanted. O well, next game is in December. Time for the annual December swoon! :smile:

delben91
11-27-2003, 07:27 PM
And I'll add my Happy Thanksgiving to all as well. May we all take a step back from the frenetic lives we lead and appreciate the things we may not notice the other 364 days of the year.

Way to go Dolphins today, and though the offseason, it's always appropriate to say...

GO SOX!!!