PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Alomar Signed for 2004

Scotty347
11-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Sandy Alomar's Back (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031124soxsignsandyalomar,1,7620939.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Let the celebration begin!

Sandy Alomar Jr. will be catching for the White Sox again next season after agreeing to a $750,000 one-year deal with a club option for 2005.

CubKilla
11-26-2003, 03:03 PM
I have a feeling the Sox are going to field practically the same group of losers in '04 that they fielded in '03 minus one or two players but with a new manager and 3B coach.

I'm so excited at this point

nodiggity59
11-26-2003, 03:03 PM
There are worse investments

Scotty347
11-26-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
There are worse investments

Don't get me wrong, I like Sandy and appreciate his value as a backup catcher and a good guy in the clubhouse.

Its just that I think myself and most people here are looking for a little more significant signing. Maybe something to get a little excited about.

joecrede
11-26-2003, 03:10 PM
As strictly baseball move bringing back Alomar isn't a great move, but for a team that also has to be cost-conscious paying him $750,000 makes it that much worse. Mike Rivera at $300,000 would have been a better alternative.

Gammons Peter
11-26-2003, 03:11 PM
At least we kept the right Alomar. The other guy is done and I am shocked that people here want him back (at any price)

FanOf14
11-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter
At least we kept the right Alomar. The other guy is done and I am shocked that people here want him back (at any price)

Robbie wasn't that bad. Granted, he isn't the Robbie of old, but he isn't that bad either.

mike squires
11-26-2003, 03:14 PM
Guys~It is too early to be getting down in the dumps. I'll agree, the pick up of that SS and a third baseman that Troy Cameron dude who isn't even considered to be in a minor league organazation (A, AA, AAA) and Sandy aside from handling his pitchers has never really impressed me much...But, let's remember, the Sox typically wait awhile before announcing a big move. Usually it's right before Soxfest. The Sox will make some moves this off season. The series ended only a month ago. Let's just be patient.

TaylorStSox
11-26-2003, 03:17 PM
As strictly baseball move bringing back Alomar isn't a great move, but for a team that also has to be cost-conscious paying him $750,000 makes it that much worse. Mike Rivera at $300,000 would have been a better alternative.

I agree with you and I'd love to see what Rivera can do with the bat at the ML level. However, he won't be able to mentor Olivo. I think you make that move next year with Rivera being your back up catcher. Then, you keep Alomar in the organization at some capacity. He's going to be a major asset for us after he retires.

maurice
11-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I have a feeling the Sox are going to field practically the same group of losers in '04 that they fielded in '03

Indeed. Unfortunately, it looks like they intend to subtract many productive players (Colon, Gordon, Everett, Lee, etc.) and spend more than a quarter of their tiny payroll on bums, making it nearly impossible for the 2004 Sox to be as good as the team that failed to win the second weakest division in baseball in 2003.

Meanwhile, the team across town, playing in THE weakest division, jacks up its payroll and turns its weaknesses into strengths, starting with 1B.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-26-2003, 03:41 PM
Woo hoo! Who said he was washed up back in 2001? WRONG!!! :smile:

:ohno
"Can we bring back Ed Herrmann? How are his knees holding up?"

JRIG
11-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
[B]Sandy Alomar Jr. will be catching for the White Sox again next season after agreeing to a $750,000 one-year deal with a club option for 2005.

Under what possible Twilight Zone-esque scenario would the Sox want to bring back Alomar in 2005?

It's bad enough he's back this year at that price.

CubKilla
11-26-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Under what possible Twilight Zone-esque scenario would the Sox want to bring back Alomar in 2005?

To keep the nucleus of on-field players intact when we defend our '04 World Series Championship in '05!!!!!

RKMeibalane
11-26-2003, 04:24 PM
I don't mind keeping Alomar around. He is no longer an effective player, but at least Olivo can learn from him. Besides, there are worse players out there who play catcher. As long as the Sox don't bring back Josh Paul, I'll be happy.

Remember when Jerry Manuel put him in LF?

JRIG
11-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I don't mind keeping Alomar around. He is no longer an effective player, but at least Olivo can learn from him. Besides, there are worse players out there who play catcher. As long as the Sox don't bring back Josh Paul, I'll be happy.

IIRC, that was only because he let Joe Nossek fill in the lineup card that day.

CubKilla
11-26-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
As long as the Sox don't bring back Josh Paul, I'll be happy.

Vaguely. I still have nightmares of when the White Sox moved Fisk from C to LF though <shudder>.

Foulke You
11-26-2003, 04:52 PM
I'm happy Sandy is returning. As a backup catcher, he is serviceable and calls a pretty good game. He is also good for some clutch power every now and then. Perfect tutor for Miguel Olivo. Now that we have a backup catcher, how about a starter, setup reliever, and a top notch second baseman?

:reinsy
"Sure thing Foulke You, as long as they accept the same contract we gave our backup catcher"

Rocky Soprano
11-26-2003, 05:08 PM
I like Sandy, but I would rather have him as some kind of coach...

Frank the Tank
11-26-2003, 05:10 PM
The signing of Sandy is a safe move. Olivo is still learning and Roberto might want to resign to play with his bro. I don't care what anybody says, Robbie is still an above average second baseman. Furthermore, his asking price is not too high.

kittle42
11-26-2003, 05:34 PM
I demand the return of Don Wakamatsu.

Lip Man 1
11-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Kittle:

What no Matt Merullo? (although he did win a few games for the Sox. I remember him hitting a home run with 2 out in the 9th off Jeff Reardon in Boston to tie the game, a game the Sox would win in extra innings...)

Lip

Brian26
11-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Kittle:

What no Matt Merullo?

I have full confidence in Joel Skinner as our catcher of the future.

:D:

cwsox
11-26-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
I like Sandy, but I would rather have him as some kind of coach...

he will be - this is prelude to that

santo=dorf
11-26-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by JRIG

It's bad enough he's back this year at that price.

I think the Sox will pick up his option for 2005 after he says he is willing to take a paycut. Like this year's Jose Valentin, in case you missed the joke.

WinningUgly!
11-27-2003, 12:10 AM
:reinsy

"Sandy was brought back because I'm not done screwing Carlton Fisk! There will always be a spot on the roster for him, until he breaks Fisk's all-time record for games caught. Then I'll give him his walking papers while the team is on the road in Cleveland!

dugwood31
11-27-2003, 01:18 AM
I'm happy with the signing. I thought Sandy looked hitterish most of the time this year. Stayed healthy, too.