PDA

View Full Version : Could the Cubs help the Sox?

jordan23ventura
11-26-2003, 01:19 PM
First of all I don't think that the Cubs doing what they're doing should disappoint any Sox fans. They are finally bringing what looks to be a few consecutive winning teams to the city. Where have the Bears been? How about the Bulls?

The White Sox may have to die one final time before they can be resurrected. I'm just hoping all the excitement the Cubs will create over the next few years will force JR to actually realize that the fans here will support a winning team, and will actually spend some money and make some trades to put a serious perennial contender together.

Granted, Wrigley generally will fill up even if a last place team is fielded just for the ambiance. But I've been noticing that a lot of the fans that have been cheering the Cubs lately are actual fans of baseball, not just an old stadium. They have been just as disgusted for just as long as the Sox fans but now they have something to cheer for. When the Sox died last year I was still somewhat happy to be able to root for Chicago, and when the Sox were in contention I found enough hard core Cub fans rooting for the Sox, hoping for that cross-town series.

It is only the typical Cub fan who has no knowledge of baseball that bothers me. Seeing people take pride in a sport which has been referred to as dying, which had been buried in the media after the first strike and was buried again when talk of a second came around, makes me happy. All the "who cares about baseball?" crap really got to me, but I'm glad it's over now at least in Chicago.

Just a bit of optimism. It's too easy to always be pessimistic.

CubKilla
11-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
First of all I don't think that the Cubs doing what they're doing should disappoint any Sox fans.

The White Sox may have to die one final time before they can be resurrected.

If these two things happen concurrently, the White Sox won't have to worry about being "resurrected" because you can't resurrect the dead. If the Cubs keep winning and the Sox keep..... well..... doing what they have been doing, the White Sox will be dead in Chicago except for the faithful few..... and we're dwindling.

And I don't share one bit of your apparent enthusiasm for the Cubs..... not even a drop in your bucket of Cub-Love.

The Cubs may be a "Chicago" team, but I will never..... ever..... cheer for them.

RKMeibalane
11-26-2003, 01:27 PM
I think the success of the Cubs COULD help the Sox, but I don't think it will as long as JR is around. A normal baseball owner would look at what the Cubs have done and then do everything in his power to make his team competitive, but Reinsdorf seems content to sit around and do nothing while those Little Bears from the North Side keep stockpilling talent.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-26-2003, 01:31 PM
First of all I don't think that the Cubs doing what they're doing should disappoint any Sox fans. They are finally bringing what looks to be a few consecutive winning teams to the city. Where have the Bears been? How about the Bulls?

The White Sox may have to die one final time before they can be resurrected. I'm just hoping all the excitement the Cubs will create over the next few years will force JR to actually realize that the fans here will support a winning team, and will actually spend some money and make some trades to put a serious perennial contender together.

Granted, Wrigley generally will fill up even if a last place team is fielded just for the ambiance. But I've been noticing that a lot of the fans that have been cheering the Cubs lately are actual fans of baseball, not just an old stadium. They have been just as disgusted for just as long as the Sox fans but now they have something to cheer for. When the Sox died last year I was still somewhat happy to be able to root for Chicago, and when the Sox were in contention I found enough hard core Cub fans rooting for the Sox, hoping for that cross-town series.

It is only the typical Cub fan who has no knowledge of baseball that bothers me. Seeing people take pride in a sport which has been referred to as dying, which had been buried in the media after the first strike and was buried again when talk of a second came around, makes me happy. All the "who cares about baseball?" crap really got to me, but I'm glad it's over now at least in Chicago.

Just a bit of optimism. It's too easy to always be pessimistic.

Somebody has been drinking way too much Kubbie Kool-aid.

Don't count me amongst the pessimists around here. As long as Chicago is inhabited by clear-thinking baseball fans, the Lovable Losers are doomed to share this city with a viable alternative franchise populated with fans who laugh their ass off at how the Cubune suckers everyone else into believing their line of bull****.

Keep dreaming. That's what Kubbie Krack does best.

:bluerock

Iwritecode
11-26-2003, 01:46 PM
The only thing the Cubs can do is put the Sox in the history books as the team with the longest drought between WS wins...

miker
...when the Sox were in contention I found enough hard core Cub fans rooting for the Sox, hoping for that cross-town series.

Cub fans rooting for the Sox? My a**! (Pardon my French...)

TaylorStSox
Our ballpark isn't filled with casual fans anyway. The majority of Sox fans are die hard. Most of us were born Sox fans. The success of the Cubs will do nothing to Sox attendance. We've been "dead" for years. Nothing's going to change.

How many of your Fathers were Sox fans? I'd be willing to bet that almost all of ours were/are.

DirtySouthsider
11-26-2003, 02:00 PM

How many of your Fathers were Sox fans? I'd be willing to bet that almost all of ours were/are. [/B][/QUOTE]

That is a great statement.....and so very true!

FanOf14
11-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider

How many of your Fathers were Sox fans? I'd be willing to bet that almost all of ours were/are.

That is a great statement.....and so very true!

My dad's not, but then again he's not from here and when he did arrive in America, he never got into baseball.

But my mom and my grandpa are/were Sox fans. Grampa was born in 1917 and didn't live to see the Sox win another World Series...depressing, isn't it? :whiner:

NOTE: (I knew what you meant in the post, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to be a wise apple.)

PaulDrake
11-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
If these two things happen concurrently, the White Sox won't have to worry about being "resurrected" because you can't resurrect the dead. If the Cubs keep winning and the Sox keep..... well..... doing what they have been doing, the White Sox will be dead in Chicago except for the faithful few..... and we're dwindling.

And I don't share one bit of your apparent enthusiasm for the Cubs..... not even a drop in your bucket of Cub-Love.

The Cubs may be a "Chicago" team, but I will never..... ever..... cheer for them. Buy that man a beer. :gulp:

voodoochile
11-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Somebody has been drinking way too much Kubbie Kool-aid.

Don't count me amongst the pessimists around here. As long as Chicago is inhabited by clear-thinking baseball fans, the Lovable Losers are doomed to share this city with a viable alternative franchise populated with fans who laugh their ass off at how the Cubune suckers everyone else into believing their line of bull****.

Keep dreaming. That's what Kubbie Krack does best.

:bluerock

So when is that third baseball franchise - the viable one - coming to town?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So when is that third baseball franchise - the viable one - coming to town?

I said viable, not profitable. :smile:

:reinsy
"And don't forget Voodoo, it is all YOUR fault."

:ohno
"You never miss a chance to remind us, Jerry. You never do."

windycityson
11-26-2003, 02:43 PM
I would just as soon rot in hell than root for the Flubs. And the Sox fans who root for the Chubs, well, you know what they are. My pops was a die hard sox fan and still is. My son is a sox fan and so is my daughter. It's just a shame that Uncle Jer doesn't take into consideration there years of anguish and mediocrity and put a winner on the field.

windy

chisox06
11-26-2003, 03:01 PM
when the Sox were in contention I found enough hard core Cub fans rooting for the Sox, hoping for that cross-town series.

Please, stay off the cubbie crack. I take no consolation in the fact the cubs had a good year, it bothers me to a huge extent, and rooting against the cubs in game 7 at a local bar and getting pretzels and obscenities thrown at me was probably my most enjoyable moment in sports this year (which is very very sad). If a Cubs fan roots for the sox or vice versa then they are not "diehard" fans. Dieheard means you go with the team you root for, and you dont jump ship as soon as your team is out of it. In Chicago we have the luxury of having to teams so you get a lot more ship jumpers, but I'll be damned if you'll ever see me wavin the cubbie flag, please I couldn't look myself in the mirror (and my dad would kick my ass). People (not fans) that claim to be "chicago fans" arent fans at all, they use that slogan as a crutch to root for whoever is winning at the time so they can be part of the "in crowd" and say "look at me Im a sports fan guys!". These are the same type of people who you see wearing Lakers and Bucs Jersey's, their not fans they just root for whoever is winning, a very shallow way to follow sports IMO. For the "diehards", which is the vast majority of us around here the very fact that we follow THIS team and only this team will make us feel that much better IF the sox ever do anything, because were some of the few that stick it out.

windycityson
11-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Please, stay off the cubbie crack. I take no consolation in the fact the cubs had a good year, it bothers me to a huge extent, and rooting against the cubs in game 7 at a local bar and getting pretzels and obscenities thrown at me was probably my most enjoyable moment in sports this year (which is very very sad). If a Cubs fan roots for the sox or vice versa then they are not "diehard" fans. Dieheard means you go with the team you root for, and you dont jump ship as soon as your team is out of it. In Chicago we have the luxury of having to teams so you get a lot more ship jumpers, but I'll be damned if you'll ever see me wavin the cubbie flag, please I couldn't look myself in the mirror (and my dad would kick my ass). People (not fans) that claim to be "chicago fans" arent fans at all, they use that slogan as a crutch to root for whoever is winning at the time so they can be part of the "in crowd" and say "look at me Im a sports fan guys!". These are the same type of people who you see wearing Lakers and Bucs Jersey's, their not fans they just root for whoever is winning, a very shallow way to follow sports IMO. For the "diehards", which is the vast majority of us around here the very fact that we follow THIS team and only this team will make us feel that much better IF the sox ever do anything, because were some of the few that stick it out.

you are exactly right. your team is your team all the time, not just when they're playing well

and racing is not a sport.....

Lip Man 1
11-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Jordan:

Sorry I'll never root for the Cubs. I'll abandon baseball completely before I would root for them.

and Jordan in case you missed it, two times since June 2002 Reinsdorf has publicly stated that "Chicago has always been a Cubs town..." (That's a direct quote as said to the listening audiance on WMVP radio before the start of the Cubs / Sox series in June 2002 and to a Milwaukee newspaper five months ago.)

Jerry Reinsdorf could care less what the Cubs are doing. He has stated in so many words (see above quote) that he's not going to take them on. I think we should all start believing what the man says.

Lip