PDA

View Full Version : Astros make play for Pettitte

wulfy
11-26-2003, 01:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1671516

Houston television station KRIV quoted unidentified major league sources as saying the Astros had offered Pettitte a three-year contract.

He's a guy that I would like to have seen the Sox make a run at in case of Bartolo not coming back. With Buehrle on board, that would give the Sox two of the AL's tougher left handers.

jordan23ventura
11-26-2003, 01:48 PM
The only way I would be happy to see Pettite on the South Side would be a long term deal with some commitment shown, but that will not happen. There's no reason to dump all of our premiere players to sign a guy we wouldn't keep for more than two years before trading him with a year left on his contract. I would much rather see two proven veterans in the rotation on one or two year contracts.

By the way, why would he even want to sign to play for a team with a midget payroll? For a chance at making the playoffs in a weak division? Nah, he has enough rings. He'll go for the money and he won't find it here.

TaylorStSox
11-26-2003, 02:00 PM
I don't think there was any chance of us getting him for geographic reasons.

hold2dibber
11-26-2003, 02:32 PM
No way Petitte was ever going to come here. Think about it:

- If winning is his no. 1 priority, he'd surely rather stay with the Yankees than come here.

- If money is his no. 1 priority, he'd surely stay with the Yankees, who no doubt could and would out bid the Sox, rather than come here.

- If family is his no. 1 priority, he'll go home to Houston.

I can think of no scenario in which he'd end up on the South Side.

CubKilla
11-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I don't think there was any chance of us getting him for geographic reasons.

You just gave KW a new excuse to use at SoxFest other than money restraints.....

SoxFan: Why didn't we pursue starting pitchers the like of Andy Pettite and Kevin Millwood this offseason to solidify a pretty decent starting staff?

:KW

"Geography!"

TaylorStSox
11-26-2003, 02:41 PM
Say what you want but there was NO chance of Petitte signing with the Sox. If he doesn't sign with the Yankee's, he'll sign with a team from Texas. That's been reported by various news outlets.

RKMeibalane
11-26-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I can think of no scenario in which he'd end up on the South Side.

:reinsy

"And it's all your fault!"

Mammoo
11-26-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by wulfy
He's a guy that I would like to have seen the Sox make a run at in case of Bartolo not coming back....

You are so right. AP would do wonders for that staff...