PDA

View Full Version : Millwood Offered Contract

Lip Man 1
11-26-2003, 12:46 PM
I post this because some have linked Kevin Millwood as a possible Sox target.

The Sporting News Radio has just reported that the Phillies have offered Millwood a three year contract at between 10 and 11 million per season.

The story said Millwood's agent Scott Boras had stated in the past that he thinks he can get Millwood 13 million per season.

Just FYI.

Lip

Shoeless Joe
11-26-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I post this because some have linked Kevin Millwood as a possible Sox target.

The Sporting News Radio has just reported that the Phillies have offered Millwood a three year contract at between 10 and 11 million per season.

The story said Millwood's agent Scott Boras had stated in the past that he thinks he can get Millwood 13 million per season.

Just FYI.

Lip

Well it was good having a Kevin Millwood rumor for a while.

jordan23ventura
11-26-2003, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't offer Millwood a contract greater than $8 mil for one year with an option for '05. He's not AL-proven and overrated. I still think we should go after Ponson and Alvarez both if we want to spend money.

nodiggity59
11-26-2003, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I'd be surprised if Millwood doesn't stay. Besides, we would never win a bidding war with another team. At least the Phillies are looking awesome for next year - I don't know if anybody read Moronotti this morning - but he said there wasn't a single NL team looking better than the Flubs.

I hope they choke on a Philly Beef next year.

Also, we HAVE to get Colon. That fact keeps making itself more and more apparent every day as the best teams stack up on pitching,

PaleHoseGeorge
11-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Boras is his agent? Oh, forget it. We never had a chance of signing him in the first place.

:veeck
"Um... err... we don't want some .250-hitting rumdrum anyway."

:reinsy
"That's right, Bill. We're building a first-class organ-eye-zation."

:)

RKMeibalane
11-26-2003, 02:25 PM
I don't think any team would be willing to offer Millwood the kind of money that Boras is seeking. That being said, he's still too expensive for the Sox. Reinsdorf will never do business with Boras, and even if he would, the Sox don't have the money to sign Millwood. At this point, Colon is a more realistic possibility. Who would've thought that a few weeks ago?

Lip Man 1
11-26-2003, 06:16 PM
ESPN.com is now reporting that the deal offered was for three years with an option for a fourth year.

What was that about clubs not offering long contracts to pitchers
anymore?????

Lip

Brian26
11-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Good grief. And we thought giving Bartolo $12 mil/year was a lot of money.

RKMeibalane
11-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Good grief. And we thought giving Bartolo $12 mil/year was a lot of money.

I agree. That's why I don't think anyone is going to pay Millwood the amount he's seeking. I don't even think he's worth ten million a season. Eight or nine sounds more reasonable.

Don't worry, though. Colon has yet to see an offer that he likes. Millwood may have to wait even longer, unless the Phillies cave into his demands.