PDA

View Full Version : Pirates / Cubs V?


Lip Man 1
11-25-2003, 09:31 PM
The news keeps getting better Sox fans! (Just something to remember when you are deciding if you want to renew season tickets with old Uncle Jerry...)

From the MLB site, hot stove news for November 25th:

"Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News reports that the Cubs are considering going back to the Pittsburgh well yet again, this time for a deal that would bring them catcher Jason Kendall. The report says that would happen "only if the Pirates picked up a significant portion of the remaining $42 million on Kendall's contract, which runs through 2007."


Yea nothing's going to happen around baseball until after December 7th according to Ken Williams. Looks like the organization is sleeping as badly as Manager Gandhi was.

Lip

joecrede
11-25-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The news keeps getting better Sox fans! (Just something to remember when you are deciding if you want to renew season tickets with old Uncle Jerry...)

From the MLB site, hot stove news for November 25th:

"Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News reports that the Cubs are considering going back to the Pittsburgh well yet again, this time for a deal that would bring them catcher Jason Kendall. The report says that would happen "only if the Pirates picked up a significant portion of the remaining $42 million on Kendall's contract, which runs through 2007."


Yea nothing's going to happen around baseball until after December 7th according to Ken Williams. Looks like the organization is sleeping as badly as Manager Gandhi was.

Lip

Lip, just because a player is making a lot of money like Kendall, doesn't mean he's any good.

Chisox_cali
11-25-2003, 09:39 PM
There's been what? 6-7 moves that have happened so far in the off-season? None of the major free-agents have signed anywhere, no blockbuster trades, nothing. I know that you're just itching to start the "Lip_Man Pessimisim Train" on it's 2004 Tour, but maybe wait until the winter meetings are over. I mean the Colon trade happened in January for God Sake.

Lip Man 1
11-25-2003, 09:40 PM
He's a former All Star and a hell of a lot better then Paul Bako or Damian Miller isn't he?

Lip

Chisox_cali
11-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Royce Clayton is also a former All-Star

joecrede
11-25-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
He's a former All Star and a hell of a lot better then Paul Bako or Damian Miller isn't he?

Lip

Warren Spahn was a former All-Star too . . .

Lip Man 1
11-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Meaning what Joe baby?

Are you saying you'd rather have Miller and Bako?

You don't think that would be an improvement? You don't think that it shows Cub fans who coincidentally are feeling really pissed right now because of the ticket scam, something?

Hell maybe that's why the Lee deal was made, to take their minds off the scam...however you look at it, it's a great deal

Joe we are just going to have to agree to disagree... you think Uncle Jerry is a smart businessman. I agree.

The difference is that you and some others think he has a right to screw with a public trust. I don't. Especially when he's getting city and state money through his abortion of a ballpark.

If the Cubbies get to a World Series back up the moving trucks because the Sox who are on life support right now, are dead.

That's what pisses me off because this owner could care less. He'll make his money either in Chicago or Mexico City, Las Vegas or wherever. (and no I'm not a liberal, I'm a moderate republican but I absolutely hate greed when it winds up hurting people.)

Lip

nodiggity59
11-25-2003, 10:02 PM
More money doesn't tear up Konerko or Koch's contracts. Still, it would be nice...

duke of dorwood
11-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Right now, there's nothing BUT pessimism. I had to sit thru a Cub playoff run, now they are dealing positively. WE hear about roofs, ticket prices going up, and cutting payroll.

:reinsy

Keyshawn Reinsdork

Just gimme the damn money

AMestan
11-25-2003, 10:43 PM
What major trades have occured? I guess because the Cubs are talking to the Pirates, it's over for the Sox and the rest of MLB?

doublem23
11-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Dude, Jason Kendall sucks. Sorry to rain on your parade.

nodiggity59
11-25-2003, 10:52 PM
can anyone pull up his stats, seems pointless to just debate it...

Blueprint1
11-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Wow you would think it was A-Rod the cubs just picked up. Just because the Cubs made a move to improve their team today does not mean that the Sox have to go out and make a move right away. I tihnk we all saw last year that sitting back and holding off until later makes the asking price of players go down. Remember how much the Sox were going to have to give up for Colon at this time last year?

npdempse
11-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
can anyone pull up his stats, seems pointless to just debate it...

Player, Team AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB BA OBP SLG OPS
1 J. Kendall, Pit 587 84 191 29 3 6 58 8 7 49 .325 .399 .416 .815
2 M. Lieberthal, Phi 508 68 159 30 1 13 81 0 0 38 .313 .373 .453 .825
3 A. Pierzynski, Min 487 63 152 35 3 11 74 3 1 24 .312 .360 .464 .824
4 I. Rodriguez, Fla 511 90 152 36 3 16 85 10 6 55 .297 .369 .474 .843
5 J. Posada, NYY 481 83 135 24 0 30 101 2 4 93 .281 .405 .518 .922


That's last season, best 5 catchers by BA, courtesy ESPN. Sorry that didn't format well, but heck, Kendall's a badass, and that's not really worth debating. Whether he's paid too much is another thing.

thepaulbowski
11-26-2003, 07:08 AM
I'd rather have Miller at the money he is making compared to Kendall at the money he is making. If money is no object, then.....

Well that would be a different story.

gosox41
11-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The news keeps getting better Sox fans! (Just something to remember when you are deciding if you want to renew season tickets with old Uncle Jerry...)

From the MLB site, hot stove news for November 25th:

"Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News reports that the Cubs are considering going back to the Pittsburgh well yet again, this time for a deal that would bring them catcher Jason Kendall. The report says that would happen "only if the Pirates picked up a significant portion of the remaining $42 million on Kendall's contract, which runs through 2007."


Yea nothing's going to happen around baseball until after December 7th according to Ken Williams. Looks like the organization is sleeping as badly as Manager Gandhi was.

Lip


I love how every thread rips on JR. Lip, as long as you keep giving your hard earned money to a man you despise and then continue to complain about it, then you're making yourself look bad.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
11-26-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I love how every thread rips on JR. Lip, as long as you keep giving your hard earned money to a man you despise and then continue to complain about it, then you're making yourself look bad.

That's the problem. A lot of Sox Fans who used to support the team refuse to do so any longer citely the actions (or inactions) of JR as their primary beef. Then we have "authorities" like Rich Lindberg and others posting here putting the blame on the fans.

I'll never understand how owning a baseball team entitles the owner to the blind allegiance of the team's fans.

FanOf14
11-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
That's what pisses me off because this owner could care less.

Personally, I think that Reinsdorf couldn't care less.

In regards to the trades the Cubs are doing, they are strong trades and I do think they are being done at this time (rather than a few weeks later) to get some positive press to bury the press on the ticket scam. I am still amazed that they got away with it...wait, check that, no I am not surprised in the least that the Cubs are getting away with scalping their own tickets.

WinningUgly!
11-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
There's been what? 6-7 moves that have happened so far in the off-season? None of the major free-agents have signed anywhere, no blockbuster trades, nothing I know that you're just itching to start the "Lip_Man Pessimisim Train" on it's 2004 Tour, but maybe wait until the winter meetings are over.

:) Classic :)
Just shot coffee out my nose. :D:

Mammoo
11-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Hey guys...cut Lip some slack...he knows if the Cubs deal for Kendall, it may signal the end of the Josh Paul era on the North Side! :D:

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/baseball/mlb/players/6354.jpg

TDog
11-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
He's a former All Star and a hell of a lot better then Paul Bako or Damian Miller isn't he?

Lip

Ron Santo would disagree with you. The last time I heard a Cubs-Pirates game on the radio, Santo spent nine innings complaining about what a bum Kendall is.

washington
11-26-2003, 11:48 AM
It's depressing that Pittsburgh Cincinnati and Milwaukee have basically become farm teams for the rest of baseball.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TDog
Ron Santo would disagree with you. The last time I heard a Cubs-Pirates game on the radio, Santo spent nine innings complaining about what a bum Kendall is.

Santo doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Ouch! That wasn't nice.

:)

PaulDrake
11-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Kendall is not a bum. He's a singles hitter, calls a great game, handles any kind of a pitcher. He has trouble throwing anybody out at second trying to steal. He comes to play, wants badly to win and would be a great addition for the Cubs. He suffered the worse baseball injury I ever saw. I thought he would do well to walk again, let alone catch in the ML's. It was worse than the injury Ventura suffered. That tells me as much as anything how much guts the guy has. The cubs may scalp tickets and stick it to their adoring fans, but I have to agree with LM1. They are on the verge of winning the battle of Chicago. Permanently.

jordan23ventura
11-26-2003, 01:00 PM
Who cares if the Cubs are scalping their own tickets? If they are, they are doing it because they can. I doubt that would work on the South Side right now. Besides, I would gladly pay for an overpriced ticket to a Sox game if they were winning, especially if they had the rotation the Cubs did. Now I'm not the biggest Cub fan in the world but they have one hell of a team and it's only going to get better.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
Who cares if the Cubs are scalping their own tickets? If they are, they are doing it because they can. I doubt that would work on the South Side right now. Besides, I would gladly pay for an overpriced ticket to a Sox game if they were winning, especially if they had the rotation the Cubs did. Now I'm not the biggest Cub fan in the world but they have one hell of a team and it's only going to get better.

There is such a legal concept commonly known as fraud. I'm not sure how the Cubune's lawyers managed to skate on this charge, but the facts nobody denied are that "unavailable" tickets to see the Yankees series were in fact readily available at scalped prices through the Cubune's ticket service.

There is sucker born every minute, roughly the same rate as new Flubbie fans are minted. I agree they deserve to be separated from every penny of their life's savings as quickly as possible.

:lynch&mcfail
"We're just the outfit to do it to them, PHG!"

Hangar18
11-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by washington
It's depressing that Pittsburgh Cincinnati and Milwaukee have basically become farm teams for the rest of baseball.

Its for this reason, that baseball is sloowly dying

Chisox_cali
11-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
:) Classic :)
Just shot coffee out my nose. :D:

HAHA! Thanks.