PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Take On Deal

Lip Man 1
11-25-2003, 10:17 PM
From the AP story on the Marlins / Cubs deal:

"The breakup of the Florida Marlins has begun.

The World Series champions traded first baseman Derrek Lee to the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday in a cost-cutting measure, getting Hee Seop Choi and a minor leaguer to be named.

More deals could follow.

"There were two main reasons for the move. One is, obviously, we need to achieve our goal of operating within our payroll," Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest said. "Two, we want to make sure we have the appropriate allocations to retain our core pitching."

The Marlins insist their offseason changes won't be as drastic as the ones after they won their first World Series title in 1997. That team wasn't just broken up, it was blown up, with the best pieces stripped and sold to the highest bidder like so many spare parts.

But Florida does have to watch its budget. It won the World Series with a $54 million payroll, and it would cost more than $80 million just to keep the current squad intact.

Second baseman Luis Castillo, catcher Ivan Rodriguez and closer Ugueth Urbina are all free agents. Third baseman Mike Lowell, right fielder Juan Encarnacion and starting pitchers Brad Penny and Mark Redman are among a long list of players eligible for salary arbitration."

I remember posting that the Fish were going to lose at least I-Rod and Urbina and some posters said that wasn't going to happen, that the owner publicly said he was going to keep the team intact.

I replyed that to do so he'd have to raise payroll to 80 million and that wasn't going to happen.

Just another example of how to tell a baseball owner is lying....just wait for them to open their mouth.

Lip

doublem23
11-25-2003, 11:52 PM
Not to speculate, but perhaps he was freeing salary from a peaked first baseman who's due to make some major moo-lah. Derrek Lee isn't the reincarnation of Jesus, ya'know.

DrCrawdad
11-26-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Not to speculate, but perhaps he was freeing salary from a peaked first baseman who's due to make some major moo-lah. Derrek Lee isn't the reincarnation of Jesus, ya'know.

Choi and Bobbie Hill were hyped to high heaven as the future and proof that the Cubbies had the best organization in the world. Me thinks that their dealing away Choi and Hill indicates that these two were not living up the hype because if they thought they were going to I don't expect that they would have dealt them.

MiamiSpartan1
11-26-2003, 08:59 AM
The main reason we did this was so we could try to re-sign AJ Burnett, the best pitcher on our young staff who missed most of this past year with arm trouble.....Lee was good defensively, and did hit 30 home runs, but also strikes out a ton! Hate to see him go to the Cubs, tho.....He may thrive in that little park...He did have good warning track power in Miami....

StockdaleForVeep
11-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Why would burnett recieve so much for next season, its a common fact that after arm surgery, the next season is a loss, it takes 2 years to recover from that and not many clubs would really fight to simply have him bench warm\hurt the team with sub par starts.

As for bobby hill, yeah they hyped him like the second coming, and now he's gonna join his buddy willis...lol
Thats like if we just traded joe crede or (Debatable) rauch, it makes no sense since we hyped these guys as our franchise