PDA

View Full Version : Millwood In Mix


Lip Man 1
11-25-2003, 02:13 AM
This line was included on the MLB.com site under Mark Newman's column, November 24th Hot Stove Report:

Millwood is also reportedly eyeing the White Sox and Red Sox.

Just FYI.

Lip

gosox41
11-25-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This line was included on the MLB.com site under Mark Newman's column, November 24th Hot Stove Report:

Millwood is also reportedly eyeing the White Sox and Red Sox.

Just FYI.

Lip

Of course he is. Knowing KW he gave Millwood's agent a call and said the White Sox are interested....for the right price. Because demand for Millwood probably isn't as great as thought, why not exaggerate the story for negotiating leverage.

I'd be shocked if the Sox sign Millwood. They can't even afford their payroll right now. If Millwood winds up in the AL he'll probably wind up with the team that doesn't get Schilling between the Yanks and Red Sox.

Bob

hold2dibber
11-25-2003, 09:10 AM
I don't think I'd want Milwood for the price he's probably going to get. He had an ERA over 4.00 in the NL last year. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid starter, but he's not worth $12 million/year. If they Sox had that kind of money to spend (and they apparently don't), they'd be better of signing Ponson for $7 million and Cameron or Castillo or Everett for $5 million.

Gumshoe
11-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't think I'd want Milwood for the price he's probably going to get. He had an ERA over 4.00 in the NL last year. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid starter, but he's not worth $12 million/year. If they Sox had that kind of money to spend (and they apparently don't), they'd be better of signing Ponson for $7 million and Cameron or Castillo or Everett for $5 million.

Dibs, I enjoy your posts, but today, this one stands out. Ponson for 7 and Cameron for 5??? And you dislike Valentin for 5??? I don't understand that. Cameron doesn't do any more with the bat than does Jose (or Rowand, for that matter) although I do know he plays good D. Ponson might be the most overrated pitcher in the bigs right now (esp. for that money).

Gum

hold2dibber
11-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Dibs, I enjoy your posts, but today, this one stands out. Ponson for 7 and Cameron for 5??? And you dislike Valentin for 5??? I don't understand that. Cameron doesn't do any more with the bat than does Jose (or Rowand, for that matter) although I do know he plays good D. Ponson might be the most overrated pitcher in the bigs right now (esp. for that money).

Gum

I hear what you're saying, but I think Cameron is better than you give him credit for. IMHO, he's a great defensive centerfielder. He covers a lot of ground out there and has a good arm, too. Plus, he steals bases (17 last year) and gets on base at a good clip (.344 as compared to .313 for Jose last year (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?section1=null&statSet1=null&sortByStat=HR&statType=1&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2003&baseballScope=AL&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&sitSplit=&venueID=&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=all&box22=XXXX123610cha6&box42=XXXX111904seaO&compare.x=33&compare.y=4) ). Plus, although Cameron's overall numbers are pretty comparable to Jose's, Cameron has been playing in Safeco, which is a tough park to hit in. Over the last three years, (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits3?statsId=5492&type=batting) Cameron has a .709 OPS at Safeco and a .874 OPS on the road, 25 HRs at Safeco, 43 HRs on the road. I think he'd be a 30 HR, .265 avg., .350 OBP, .835 OPS player at Comiskey and he'd be the best defensive player on the team.

As for Ponson - I admit I have my reservations. But he was really good last year and he is about 27 years old, so there's reason to believe he's hitting his prime. He's the most attractive starting pitcher out there in that price range. And the Sox really, really, really need more starting pitching.

If the Sox had $12 million to spend (and I still don't think they do), how do you think they should spend it?

CubKilla
11-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If they Sox had that kind of money to spend (and they apparently don't), they'd be better of signing Ponson for $7 million and Cameron or Castillo or Everett for $5 million.

I'd rather the Sox spend that $6 or $7 million on Ponson and the additional $3 or $5 million on Hawkins and another BP arm...... or Castillo.

Tekijawa
11-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

If the Sox had $12 million to spend (and I still don't think they do), how do you think they should spend it?

I think they should tear out the top 6 rows of the lower deck and level that out! maybe sell a few chairs to recoup the money!

Tekijawa
11-25-2003, 12:42 PM
Boras is Millwoods Agent we have a better chance of having Warren Spahn pitch for us next year, no disrespect to Warren....

MarkEdward
11-25-2003, 01:21 PM
I'm not a big fan of Kevin Millwood, and I really think it would be a mistake if the Sox signed him. Essentially, Millwood's had one excellent year ('99), one very good year ('02), and four average years ('98, '00, '01, '03). Throughout this time, his strikeout and walk rate hasn't increased (both actually decreased during 2003 from 2002), so it's not like he's been improving in those areas.

Livan Hernandez is (more or less) the same pitcher, and he'll come here much cheaper. Not like I'm advocating we pursue Livan, however...

Foulke You
11-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I'm not a big fan of Kevin Millwood, and I really think it would be a mistake if the Sox signed him. Essentially, Millwood's had one excellent year ('99), one very good year ('02), and four average years ('98, '00, '01, '03). Throughout this time, his strikeout and walk rate hasn't increased (both actually decreased during 2003 from 2002), so it's not like he's been improving in those areas.

Livan Hernandez is (more or less) the same pitcher, and he'll come here much cheaper. Not like I'm advocating we pursue Livan, however...

I tend to agree. I always felt Millwood was a bit overrated. It's not that he is a bad pitcher, it is just that he is billed as an "ace" and therefore will try to seek "ace" type money. I'm also weary of signing a career NL guy who has gotten used to having every #9 hitter be an automatic out. If his E.R.A. jumps a half run to a run in the AL, then we have an expensive Todd Ritchie on our hands.

kittle42
11-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Boras is Millwoods Agent we have a better chance of having Warren Spahn pitch for us next year, no disrespect to Warren....

Well, seeing as we already have Nap Lajoie...

miker
11-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Boras is Millwoods Agent we have a better chance of having Warren Spahn pitch for us next year, no disrespect to Warren....

Considering the quality of our starting pitching the past 20 years, a deceased Hall-of-Famer doesn't seem like a bad idea.

dickallen15
11-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Jason Stark was just on ESPN and he thinks Millwood will go back to the Phillies. Evidently the GM, Bowa, and Millwood had a meeting last week, and cleared up some problems Millwood was having with the team.