View Full Version : Warren Spahn Dead at 82

thecell
11-24-2003, 04:33 PM
MLB loses another great one...

idseer
11-24-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by thecell
MLB loses another great one...

maybe the greatest lefty ever. outside the sox he was one of my alltime favorites. 363 wins.
did you know his first real season was at age 25? we talk about players today that if they're still in the minors at 23 we figure they're getting too old already.
hang in there jon and jon, you got lots of time yet!

farewell warren.

Wsoxmike59
11-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Truly a sad day for MLB and its' alumns. Spahnie was one of the all time great pitchers in baseball, and one of its' finest human beings. Did you know that he delayed his career to enlist in the army in WW II, and even took part in the D-Day invasion in France 6-6-44?? (which is why he got off to a late start in his career) I'm pretty sure he won more games after the age of 30 than any other Pitcher in major league history.

They don't make men like Warren Spahn any more. : (

Paulwny
11-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59

They don't make men like Warren Spahn any more. : (

Yep, he'll always be remembered in the Buffalo area.

From the AP:
In 1943, Spahn went into the Army. He served in Europe, where he was wounded, decorated for bravery with a Bronze Star and Purple Heart and was awarded a battlefield commission. He fought at the Battle of the Bulge and in the battle for the bridge at Remagen, Germany, where many men in his company were lost.

awesomefan
11-24-2003, 08:01 PM
Yes! Another sad day for baseball & baseballplayer lovers.

Warren Spahn was an great guy & pitcher. He served his country proudly in WWII.

I wish TV would have a regular show, at least in the off season, where they replay some of the old old ballgames with players like Warren Spahn & many of the other greats of baseball.

There was an awesome website called "thedeadbballera" ( I think) that had a link called "THOSE WHO SERVED". It listed all the major & minor league players who served in wars.

If I find it again, I'll post the website address here.

PaulDrake
11-24-2003, 08:23 PM
When baseball had that "Team of the Century" vote a few years back Spahn got my vote. He was a 13 time 20 game winner IIRC. It seems like every day something happens to remind me I'm not a young man anymore.

Johnny Mostil
11-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
He was a 13 time 20 game winner IIRC.

You recall correctly, including a string of six straight such seasons starting the season he turned 35.

I'd heard Johnny Sain (Spahn, Sain, two days of rain . . . ) was living in the western 'burbs.

awesomefan
11-24-2003, 08:54 PM
The website I was talkin' 'bout earlier in this thread is -- thedeadballera.com

Sorry to say when I went there the style of lettering on the site has been changed to some Old English style lettering or something & it's almost impossible to read.

I sent an e-mail to the guy that runs the website & told him about my problem of reading the new lettering. I doubt if it gets changed anytime too soon.

Does anyone know how to change the lettering of a website that's not your own????

It does still play a really cool version of Take Me Out To The Ballgame while viewing the site. It is played slowly with a bugle kinda like TAPS. I think you have to click on the THOSE WHO SERVED link for the song. On the homepage the place to click for that is in the 3rd & last column on the right...second from the top.