PDA

View Full Version : Matt Guerrier a Twin thread

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Anyone else see this on ESPN:

Well... it's gpne now and I can;t find it, but if you go to:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/min/team/min_team_40manroster.jsp

you can see he's on their 40 man roster.

Interesting...

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 03:39 PM
11/20/03 Claimed RHP Matt Guerrier off waivers from the Pirates.

I wonder why KW didn't do that.

That Marte trade was an absolute steal at his point - well... and every point before this as well, but really now.

CubKilla
11-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by wsgdf
11/20/03 Claimed RHP Matt Guerrier off waivers from the Pirates.

I wonder why KW didn't do that.

That Marte trade was an absolute steal at his point - well... and every point before this as well, but really now.

Marte for Guerrier is KW's best one-on-one trading move to this point in his GM tenure..... IMO.

Hopefully, Minnesota picked up Guerrier figuring there is no possible way to resign Guardado and/or Hawkins.

DrCrawdad
11-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Marte for Guerrier is KW's best one-on-one trading move to this point in his GM tenure..... IMO.

Hopefully, Minnesota picked up Guerrier figuring there is no possible way to resign Guardado and/or Hawkins.

You wonder how much the Pirates thought of Guerrier if they let him go without getting anything in return.

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Interesting - nice looking K/BB ratio. With an ERA like that, he must have given up a few too many long balls.

MHOUSE
11-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Best KW trade, period. He's had some other good ones and some like 50/50, but Matt Guerrier for Damaso "Everyday" Marte was his best IMHO.

TheRockinMT
11-25-2003, 04:39 PM
You have got to love Damaso. He is a really good left handed reliever and may very well be one of the best, if not the best, in baseball particularly the AL anyway. I would rank Billy Wagner as the best LH reliever I suppose, but DM is top notch.

jeremyb1
11-26-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Best KW trade, period. He's had some other good ones and some like 50/50, but Matt Guerrier for Damaso "Everyday" Marte was his best IMHO.

I still completely disagree. Recognizing Marte's ability was huge accomplishment but trading one of your top prospects for a player most likely bound for waivers is foolish. KW had all the leverage and blew it. Just because Guerrier hasn't been great since doesn't mean that a successful career was unlikely at the time we dealt him.

hold2dibber
11-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I still completely disagree. Recognizing Marte's ability was huge accomplishment but trading one of your top prospects for a player most likely bound for waivers is foolish. KW had all the leverage and blew it. Just because Guerrier hasn't been great since doesn't mean that a successful career was unlikely at the time we dealt him.

Do you actually buy that "likely bound for waivers" stuff? Seems highly unlikely to me. Plus, even if he was heading towards waivers, it is quite likely that someone else would have scooped him up. But even if your point is (as I suspect) that the Sox could have gotten Marte for "less" than Guerrier or that the Sox could have gotten "more" for Guerrier, who knows. But the fact remains that KW turned a AAAA pitcher into an elite reliever. That's a good trade, period, IMHO.

voodoochile
11-26-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

LOL!

You are killing me recently. Come on. Guerrier is just another over-hyped prospect who hasn't done squat. Just because you, BP, (insert Internet minor league rating site here), etc. couldn't see it doesn't mean that others couldn't.

There were lots of better pitching prospects in the Sox minor leagues and early in their major league careers when Guerrier got traded. Maybe he becomes a solid reliever down the road, but Marte is already there. The Sox got him before they risked losing him to the waiver wire and ended up giving up nothing in return.

Anything else is just whining for the sake of whining...