PDA

View Full Version : Schilling to Red Sox

Paulwny
11-24-2003, 02:52 PM
WFAN/ YES Network has confirmed a trade of Schilling to the Red Sox. They have 72 hrs to get the "ok" from Schilling for this trade. Supposedly, for the "OK", Schilling wants a 2 yr contract extension at $15 mil per yr.

They also reported that an associate of Schillings has said that he's had a change of heart from previos yrs and now would accept a trade to the yankees. He would still want the 2 yr contract extension but would give the yanks a discount over Boston.

MHOUSE
11-24-2003, 03:11 PM
What other players are involved?

CHISOXFAN13
11-24-2003, 03:11 PM
So much for Boston not adding payroll.

Colon's choices are shrinking by the day....

Paulwny
11-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

OH Yea, sorry, Boston gives up Casey Fossum and 2 minor leaguers, no names of these players.

CHISOXFAN13
11-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
OH Yea, sorry, Boston gives up Casey Fossum and 2 minor leaguers, no names of these players.

Gammons is reporting it will be a three-team deal with the prospects heading to Beer Town for Richie Sexson.

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm also reading Fossum to Brewers and Sexson to Diamondbacks.

No Sexson for you Cub fans!!!!

:smile:

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 03:18 PM
By the way - this makes Boston clear cut Series favorites for next year.

Deadguy
11-24-2003, 03:21 PM
If Sexson goes to the Diamondbacks, then the option of trading GIDPaul to LA may open up again. Hooray!

CubKilla
11-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by wsgdf

Not if the Yankees resign Pettite or sign Colon. And let's not forget, you know Steinbrenner ain't gonna let Cashman sit by idley while the BoSox acquire one of the top pitchers in the game.

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Even if the Yanks did both of those things - which now may be more likely since Georgie is probably steaming over this - Pettitte and Colon ain't Pedro and Schilling.

Pedro + Schilling + baseball's best offense = favorites

At least in my book.

Paulwny
11-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Cashman still has 72hrs to negotiate with the Dbacks, Schilling and his agent to work out a deal and have Schilling refuse the Boston trade.

CubKilla
11-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Even if the Yanks did both of those things - which now may be more likely since Georgie is probably steaming over this - Pettitte and Colon ain't Pedro and Schilling.

At least in my book.

You have a point there with Pedro and Curt. Throw Lowe in there and that is definitely 2, maybe 3 potential number one starters in one pitching rotation.

But Boston will need Pedro and Schilling to be healthy all season long and neither have had a good track record of health as of late.

hold2dibber
11-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
If Sexson goes to the Diamondbacks, then the option of trading GIDPaul to LA may open up again.

Why?

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Because supposedly the Dodgers first choice was Sexson.

hold2dibber
11-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Because supposedly the Dodgers first choice was Sexson.

If Konerko is their 2nd choice, Dan Evans is in fact an idiot.

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 04:55 PM
ding ding

Tekijawa
11-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If Konerko is their 2nd choice, Dan Evans is in fact an idiot.

What does it say about us when he's our ONLY CHOICE

Baby Fisk
11-24-2003, 05:03 PM

Folks, the BoSox can sign anyone they want, hell sign the Rocket again...but THEY ARE STILL THE BOSTON RED SOX. Having sat in the bleachers at Fenway during a late season pennant race a few years back, I can attest it was like sitting in a lunatic asylum. There is something inherently, mystically wrong with that team and everyone can sense it. An eternally prevalent shadow hangs over that place.

Thinking the BoSox will win the Series is like, to borrow a friend's analysis, it's like cheering for the lead character in the movie Carrie. There she is on stage, the Queen of the Prom, everyone loves her, everyone cheering for her...then all of a sudden: BLOOD! GORE! MAYHEM! HORROR! GO AHEAD AND CHEER FOR BOSTON -- THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

TaylorStSox
11-24-2003, 05:07 PM
That sounds a bit like Comiskey.

guillen4life13
11-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Folks, the BoSox can sign anyone they want, hell sign the Rocket again...but THEY ARE STILL THE BOSTON RED SOX. Having sat in the bleachers at Fenway during a late season pennant race a few years back, I can attest it was like sitting in a lunatic asylum. There is something inherently, mystically wrong with that team and everyone can sense it. An eternally prevalent shadow hangs over that place.

Thinking the BoSox will win the Series is like, to borrow a friend's analysis, it's like cheering for the lead character in the movie Carrie. There she is on stage, the Queen of the Prom, everyone loves her, everyone cheering for her...then all of a sudden: BLOOD! GORE! MAYHEM! HORROR! GO AHEAD AND CHEER FOR BOSTON -- THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

What are you talking about?

Me not being someone who buys into the "curse" mumbo-jumbo, I think that the BoSox, with Schilling, would be the best team in the AL, and possibly majors (I can't think of an NL team that would be better). They already have a very strong, potent offense.

All they need now is a closer.

Baby Fisk
11-24-2003, 05:28 PM
That's just the pall of Reinsdorf's new roof. I live in Toronto and have visited both Comiskey and Fenway. Comiskey was glorious. Fenway was funereal. I guess it's because BoSox fans constantly live with the dread imminent disaster.

(and White Sox fans never get their hopes that high...) :(:

Anyone care to tag a Stephen King story to the White Sox?

As for Boston, I'm sure Mr. Francona will capture that elusive clubhouse magic that will drown the bean eaters next year...

Hangar18
11-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

Its got to be Bernie Carbo, I dont see how the RedSox
can afford everyone theyre going after :smile:

34 Inch Stick
11-24-2003, 05:50 PM

Needfull Things

mikef1331
11-24-2003, 06:15 PM

Misery

Foulke You
11-24-2003, 06:31 PM

\

The Dead Zone

spanishwhite
11-24-2003, 07:13 PM

If the yanks sign Sheffield that best offense part isn't correct.

If the yanks sign Hawkins or Gordon plus add Karsay off the dl the Red Sox do not have a bullpen of the Yankees.

I think that gives the slight edge to the Yanks.

spanishwhite
11-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

Which if they trade for Schilling, they won't be able to afford.

CubKilla
11-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

A friend just told me he saw on a BoSox Board that posters there were talking about Theo Epstein taking Keith Foulke to a Celtic game.

Can any East Coasters confirm this?

Lip Man 1
11-25-2003, 01:55 AM
Latest News:

Reported on ESPN Sportscenter.....

Yes, Foulke was at the Celtics game...

Schilling had a press conference on his front lawn (they showed footage) and said he's thinking about this deal but told Garagiola Jr. that he might not accept the deal...

If he does go to Boston, the Yankees WILL sign Pettitt, push hard for Vasquez and failing that, go harder after Colon. (According to Gammons...)

Memo to Kenny Williams...looks like the price of poker has gone UP on Colon. If you seriously want him you better rethink that deferred money and incentive clause crap that you offered the first time around. Looks like you might have to have a serious conversation with the owner just to make sure he realizes what he's going to get if he stays with his insane cost conscious plan.

Lip

TaylorStSox
11-25-2003, 03:29 AM
As much as I love Colon, if his price goes up, he's not worth it.

Has anybody else heard that he really doesn't want to pitch for the Yankees and only would go as a last option?

Champ Summers
11-25-2003, 04:56 AM

The Girl Who Loved Tom GOrdon