PDA

View Full Version : Bartolo or Magglio?

doublem23
11-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Hmmm... This was brought up in a different thread, but if you had to choose between getting Bartolo back next year and trading Magglio or keeping Maggs but then having to let Bartolo go because of payroll constraints, which one would you pick?

Fisk72
11-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Bartolo will only help you every 4 or 5 games or so, while Maggilo will get you production every game, whether that be offensively or defensively. I'll go with Magglio.

munchman33
11-24-2003, 11:16 AM
While I agree that Magglio helps everyday, the Sox have a ton of young outfielders in their system and the lineup will be fine without him. I'd keep Bartolo. We need starting pitching, especially that level of starting pitching.

Iwritecode
11-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by munchman33
While I agree that Magglio helps everyday, the Sox have a ton of young outfielders in their system and the lineup will be fine without him. I'd keep Bartolo. We need starting pitching, especially that level of starting pitching.

I agree with this. You can never have too much pitching.

Look at where it got the northsiders last year...

mac9001
11-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Well, if you keep Maggs you only have him for one season, while Colon would be signed for 3 years. So, i'd have to go with Colon.

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Pitching Pitching Pitching

Colon Colon Colon

If there's a choice it HAS to be. Pending that strange and scary elbow report of course.

duke of dorwood
11-24-2003, 02:01 PM
A pitcher who's weight could get out of control? Give me the every day player for the same money

PaleHoseGeorge
11-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Assuming contract length and terms are comparable, you've got to take a quality starting pitcher who throws 200+ innings. They are more valuable, harder to come by, and much harder (and expensive) to replace than all-star quality rightfielders.

If our goal is winning, it's not even very close, IMO. Of course if the goal is simply putting butts in the seats, then Magglio is the better choice. Flubs fans are similarly fooled about the relative value of their rightfielder, too.

Frankly, we need both Bartolo and Maggs to win. If we can't afford to pay both, we're probably pissing up a rope to think the '04 team is going anywhere. Losing either of them represents a tremendous loss of production (aside from Magg's horrendous GIDP rate) for KW to try and replace on the fly.

RKMeibalane
11-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Bartolo and Magglio? Nah!

Here's a debate that will keep Sox fans talking for years to come: Who would you rather have- Paul Konerko or Royce Clayton?

WinningUgly!
11-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by mac9001
Well, if you keep Maggs you only have him for one season, while Colon would be signed for 3 years. So, i'd have to go with Colon.
Totally agree.
Maggs is a stud, but a right handed hitting corner outfielder is easier to replace with "scrapheap" free agents (or somebody through the minor league system) than a top of the rotation pitcher. Loaiza fell into KW's lap last year. That probably won't be happening again. Championship caliber teams start with solid pitching rotations. Keeping Colon, Buehrle & Loaiza together would make this team a favorite for the post season. End of story.

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 02:26 PM
A pitcher who's weight could get out of control?

His weight has never been a performance issue in the past. He's still relatively young. No reason to fear this in my mind. This IS NOT David Wells we're talking about here.

Thunderstruck30
11-24-2003, 09:24 PM
I agree that pitching wins games and you can never have too much pitching, but would I rather have a starter with a .500 winning percentage or an outfielder with a .320 average? Thats a rather tough choice.

dugwood31
11-24-2003, 09:53 PM
I voted for Maggs. Every day players are much surer bet, factoring in injuries. Colon's great, but he's a really good #2 and a decent ace. Maggs is a hall of famer if he keeps it up.

wsgdf
11-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Maggs is a hall of famer if he keeps it up.

He'd have to either keep it up for a real long time or get better before I'd agree with that.

He's never won an MVP, batting title, home run title, he's only been an All Star a few times, he's never been the best player at his position.

Basically, I'd say he's similar to Baines. Not that it's bad to be similar to Baines, just that it's not spectacular, and those kinds of careers have to be extended and injury free before they become HOF careers.

voodoochile
11-25-2003, 10:49 AM
I think the Sox need a stud pitcher more than they need a good corner OF. I like Maggs, but if the Sox return the top 4 starting pitchers from last year, they will be contenders regardless of what else happens, IMO.

boog_alou
11-25-2003, 11:19 AM
Given the Sox budgetary constraints, the best option is NEITHER. The Sox can't afford for a single player to take up as much as 20% of their no more than $60 million budget. It would make more sense to not re-sign Colon, trade Maggs for cheap, young talent and use the $$$ savings to sign a good, less expensive starting pitcher and a RH set up man, thus staying under budget.