PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal says Sox thinking Tejada!


munchman33
11-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Well maybe.....

This is what Rosenthal said:

The White Sox would love to pursue free-agent SS Miguel Tejada, but only if Tejada's price drops and the team can dump salary. Sox RF Magglio Ordonez rejected a three-year extension that included deferred money and a reduction from his $14 million salary, sending a clear message that he will not sell himself short in his final season before free-agent eligibility -- and possibly discouraging potential trade partners. . . .

you can read the entire piece at

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=insidedishcubsaretryingt&prov=tsn&type=lgns

indysoxfan
11-23-2003, 08:58 PM
tejada is a meathead.... we have already got carlos lee :D:

Lip Man 1
11-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Interesting that the Sox apparently tried to pull the same shell game approach on Ordonez that they did with Colon. (deferred money...)

Interesting in that the answer was the same as Colon's too.

They just don't get it in this organization do they?

Lip

SoxxoS
11-23-2003, 09:49 PM
I have thought a lot of things that haven't panned out yet.

For example-I was thinking me and Pamela Anderson would make a great couple.

SoxOnTop
11-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by indysoxfan
tejada is a meathead.... we have already got carlos lee :D:

This is true, but at least Tejada is outstanding with the leather.

Don't get me wrong, C-Lee tries hard, but he's still barely adequate......

RKMeibalane
11-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Tejada is an excellent player, but his plate-discipline leaves much to be desired. Billy Beane labled him "Mr. Swing-at-Everything." The Sox have too many free-swingers on their roster as it is. They don't need anymore.

JDP
11-23-2003, 11:18 PM
The last thing the Sox need is another expensive, right-handed, power hitter with a not-too-exceptional OBP. Tejada played over his head in '02 and still didn't top the .900 OPS. I'm sure if the Sox are thinking of overspending on Tejada, then they can find a more viable and less expensive option to upgrade the SS position, or the 2B position w/ Valentin still at SS.

I would think that throwing $6-7/yr towards Castillo would be a much better option than going after Tejada.

jeremyb1
11-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Tejada is an excellent player, but his plate-discipline leaves much to be desired. Billy Beane labled him "Mr. Swing-at-Everything." The Sox have too many free-swingers on their roster as it is. They don't need anymore.

He's really no better than Valentin (.770 OPS vs. .800), although we might be able to sign him for the same amount. Hehehe.

ondafarm
11-24-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by JDP
I would think that throwing $6-7/yr towards Castillo would be a much better option than going after Tejada.

Signing anyone for $6-7/yr certainly would save a lot.

gosox41
11-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by JDP


I would think that throwing $6-7/yr towards Castillo would be a much better option than going after Tejada.

Excellent point. Tejada is highly overrated. I'm thinking he's worth $7 mill at best based in the current economic env. and that's being generous. Of course some team will pay him a lot more then that and blame it on the fact that there is a scaricity of SS's.

Bob

hold2dibber
11-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Interesting that the Sox apparently tried to pull the same shell game approach on Ordonez that they did with Colon. (deferred money...)

Interesting in that the answer was the same as Colon's too.

They just don't get it in this organization do they?

Lip

The Diamondbacks were very successful in using deferred money to build their team. I'm not saying it's a smart thing to do for the long term health of the organization, but it got them a World Series. I don't think trying to stretch your budgetary limits by deferring money is necessarily a bad thing.

jordan23ventura
11-24-2003, 11:19 AM
How about KW just placing an employment ad in the paper?

Now Hiring for Chicago White Sox
Are you a grinder? Are you willing to receive a short term deal with lots of money deferred until the last year of your contract? Can you stop yourself from running when you land on the base that is supposed to be your destination? If you are interested, please mail/fax resume to:
Kenny William Used Car Sales
35th St & Lock your door
Chicago, IL 66666
666-666-6666

Applicants must posess a valid DL. SS Card optional. EOE.

RichH55
11-25-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The Diamondbacks were very successful in using deferred money to build their team. I'm not saying it's a smart thing to do for the long term health of the organization, but it got them a World Series. I don't think trying to stretch your budgetary limits by deferring money is necessarily a bad thing.

Plus the main reasons Colon and Mags arent going with the defered money, is they can get bigger money elsewhere, or at least try to

With Mags maybe you get a little discount, probably none with Colon....but they are looking at big pay days...and the Sox can not compete with the Yanks if it comes to bidding

I like what KW did with Colon...gave his best offer, and knew what he was facing one way or the other and could act accordingly

The answer is not to spend for the sake of spending

Insert Jamie Navarro picture here

Or if you are an Astro Fan: Bagwell, Hidalgo

A's: Dye

Cubs: Alou, Hundley

Need we go on?

Spend smartly.....its looks like Colon has priced himself out of the "smart" catergory...more power to him, if you can get paid, go get paid