PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons Rumors


TheRockinMT
11-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Old man Pete says that the Sox are zeroing in again on Colon and that they want to move Jose Valentin to 2B and get a new SS. What do we know about this move?

mac9001
11-23-2003, 04:03 PM
With Anaheim siging Escobar, Philadelphia aperentally willing to go to arbitration with Millwood, and Boston with their money issues, i'm starting to think there's a chance Colon will be wearing a Sox uni come 2004. I guess that leaves the Yankees, but i just don't see Colon willing to play in New York.

nodiggity59
11-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Mac9001,

Where did Gammons say this? Do you have a link?

MRKARNO
11-23-2003, 05:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1669077

Neither of these tidbits are as negative as what we'd been hearing lately, so maybe this is a good sign

SoxxoS
11-23-2003, 05:21 PM
I really like the idea about moving Valentin to 2B, but who are we going to get to play SS?

longshot7
11-23-2003, 05:36 PM
I think moving Jose to 2b is a bad idea. Why not resign Robbie - I thought this was a done deal. Hoping Gammons isn't talking out of his @$$ about Colon.

TheRockinMT
11-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
I think moving Jose to 2b is a bad idea. Why not resign Robbie - I thought this was a done deal. Hoping Gammons isn't talking out of his @$$ about Colon.


You never know where Gammons, or any of these sportswriters come across this info. I would be happy to see Robbie Alomar back at 2B in 2004 and Jose at SS. I still think that it is very possible that Colon winds up back in a Sox uniform. I would welcome that also.

TLAK
11-23-2003, 06:36 PM
SoxxoS I really like the idea about moving Valentin to 2B, but who are we going to get to play SS?

I just looked up Mayaguez where Jose plays under the name of Tony Valentin in winter ball. He has only played two games but both were a second base. He made two errors.

While this may lend credence to the report, I've never thought Jose has the finesse to play 2B. He is not great shortstop either but makes up for some of his clumsiness with a cannon of an arm. This 'equalizer' won't matter at 2nd, we'll get to watch his flaws and not see his strengths.

Daver
11-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by TLAK
I just looked up Mayaguez where Jose plays under the name of Tony Valentin in winter ball. He has only played two games but both were a second base. He made two errors.

While this may lend credence to the report, I've never thought Jose has the finesse to play 2B. He is not great shortstop either but makes up for some of his clumsiness with a cannon of an arm. This 'equalizer' won't matter at 2nd, we'll get to watch his flaws and not see his strengths.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Gumshoe
11-23-2003, 07:03 PM
I've always thought Colon would end up with us. I just think he likes it and the other options won't be realized (where else is he going to go?). We offered him good, if not great, money, even with deferments and scheisting in the contract.

As for the Jose thing, no way that happens. Gammons might be right about Colon coming back, but not about the Jose thing. Although I'm sure KW is trying to mess with our chemistry again ... ahh he's the ruin of us!

G

Iguana775
11-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Maybe they intend on signing Kaz!!!

joecrede
11-23-2003, 09:03 PM
According to Gammons A-Rod-for-Ramirez deal will happen at some point. Maggs/Nomar?

cornball
11-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
According to Gammons A-Rod-for-Ramirez deal will happen at some point. Maggs/Nomar?

Mags for Nomar...I think thats fair and would do it. I still cant believe the money crunched Sox, signed Valentin for 5 million.

What pictures does this guy Valentin have? Putting him at second base would be a bigger disaster.

Take the Griffey deal mentioned in the other post and make it Konerko, Valentin and Koch for Griff and Casey with the Reds paying 4 million for Grif each year too. Followed by Mags for Nomar and resign Robbie...and i could live with that...if we are making moves. (should be in teal...sorry)

The middle of the field for the Sox needs to be improved defensively.

LASOXFAN
11-24-2003, 01:39 AM
"The White Sox have been looking for a shortstop so they can move Jose Valentin to second. Whither Roberto Alomar?"

Looking for a shortstop? Might I direct your attention to Mr. Miguel "Miggy" Tejada?

Price be damned! Sign Colon, Flash, Hawkins and Tejada AND THIS TEAM WILL ROLL THROUGH THE...

...whoa...

...sorry about that.

For a second there I got carried away and thought this was a Yankees fan website.

never mind.

doublem23
11-24-2003, 02:08 AM
How many times is he going to pull a 180?

****! When are we going to realize Boston doesn't have a clue!?!? :?:

Frank the Tank
11-24-2003, 02:53 AM
I don't believe this rumor for a second. Moving Jose to 2nd makes absolutely no sense. It the sox wanted a different shortstop they would have signed Robbie to play 2nd and let Jose test the FA market. Robbie would have been a much better 2nd baseman and cost much less. Jose Valentin will be our shortstop next year.

doublem23
11-24-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Jose Valentin will be our shortstop next year.

Man, I remember that being said about 3 years ago.

gosox41
11-24-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
Old man Pete says that the Sox are zeroing in again on Colon and that they want to move Jose Valentin to 2B and get a new SS. What do we know about this move?

I don't want Colon at $12 mil per.

Also keep in mind if Colon is back, Ordonez is as good as gone IMHO.

Bob

gosox41
11-24-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by cornball
Mags for Nomar...I think thats fair and would do it. I still cant believe the money crunched Sox, signed Valentin for 5 million.

What pictures does this guy Valentin have? Putting him at second base would be a bigger disaster.

Take the Griffey deal mentioned in the other post and make it Konerko, Valentin and Koch for Griff and Casey with the Reds paying 4 million for Grif each year too. Followed by Mags for Nomar and resign Robbie...and i could live with that...if we are making moves. (should be in teal...sorry)

The middle of the field for the Sox needs to be improved defensively.

I'm sure the cash strapped Reds will be all over that one.

Bob

jordan23ventura
11-24-2003, 11:52 AM
while i never agreed with picking up valentins option in the first place, he could also be used in a platoon with Harris in center and the team could then try for castillo and a cheap defensive SS or go with alomar and a SS that is better offensively (not much out there thats within reason though). maggs for renteria? doubt it.

Dadawg_77
11-24-2003, 11:52 AM
Maybe the Sox realized Robby sucked last year and hurt their chances to make the playoffs. Thus let him go, I really just don't understand this love affair with Robby, yes he is a HOFer but to keep we would be getting the Mays Met year from him.

jordan23ventura
11-24-2003, 12:02 PM
so you think the sox would have been better off with jimenez??? alomar was cheap, practical, we gave up 2 closer prospects (only one seemed like a sure thing) but we have damaso. robbie didn't suck - the guys getting the BIG money did. he got on base, played outstanding D, hell - even slid into 1st base. he was one of the FEW sparkplugs on that team. it's not a love affair with robbie, just that he is still VERY GOOD even at the end of his career. This is not another resigning of Jose Canseco or John Kruk.

Dadawg_77
11-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
so you think the sox would have been better off with jimenez??? alomar was cheap, practical, we gave up 2 closer prospects (only one seemed like a sure thing) but we have damaso. robbie didn't suck - the guys getting the BIG money did. he got on base, played outstanding D, hell - even slid into 1st base. he was one of the FEW sparkplugs on that team. it's not a love affair with robbie, just that he is still VERY GOOD even at the end of his career. This is not another resigning of Jose Canseco or John Kruk.


.258/.333/.349 is sucking. He was worse with us then he was with the Mets. Sliding into first is only good if you are avoiding a tag, other then that is slows you down. Robby isn't good let alone Very good at this point in his career.

StepsInSC
11-24-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
he got on base, played outstanding D, hell - even slid into 1st base.

Hell I can slide into first base! Sign me JR!

Iguana775
11-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
According to Gammons A-Rod-for-Ramirez deal will happen at some point. Maggs/Nomar?

i'd do that too!

wsgdf
11-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Putting him at second base would be a bigger disaster.

He'd be fine at 2B. 2B is a much easier defensive position than SS. When and if he did do one of those famed Jose bobbles - he'd have all the time in the world to make up for it.

He has plenty of range for balls hit up the middle and plenty of arm to finish the play.

rcescato
11-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Jose to 2nd makes no sense whatsoever. We have a gold
glove and future hall-of-famer in Roberto Alomar. Why don't we resign him. I guess these are all just rumors anyway. but there isn't much going on so this is the only info we have. I sure hope he goes after Colon or our starting pitching will be missing a big link from last year.
Rich