PDA

View Full Version : Rogers list some possible players the Sox are interested in.

SoxxoS
11-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Check it out. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1667274)

The players the Sox may take interest in:

Jason Johnson, RHP, Orioles;
Johnson was second on the staff with 10 wins last year but could be more expendable than Moss, who went 1-5 with a 6.22 ERA after being acquired from San Francisco in the Sidney Ponson trade. Johnson, a five-plus player, earned $2.9 million last season and could jump over $5 million. It's not out of the question that both could be non-tendered.
Possible destinations: St. Louis, Texas, White Sox for Johnson;

Marlon Anderson, 2B, Devil Rays
After being non-tendered by Philadelphia a year ago, Anderson played as well for Tampa Bay as replacement Placido Polanco did with the Phillies. He was a huge bargain at $600,000 last season but now can go to arbitration as a four-plus player. Antonio Perez is in line to replace him.
Possible destinations: White Sox, St. Louis, Montreal.

Geoff Blum, 3B, Astros
Gerry Hunsicker is up against it financially, as the Billy Wagner trade illustrates. It's unlikely he can commit $2.5 million to a bench player. That's what Blum looks like as a four-plus player after earning $1.5 million last season, when he hit .262 with 10 homers. Morgan Ensberg has taken over as the regular third baseman, making the switch-hitting Blum a utility player. He could be a valuable part for a good team.
Possible destinations: Cubs, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yankees, Kansas City, White Sox.

Freddy Garcia, RHP, Mariners
Once Seattle's ace, Garcia was fourth on a deep pitching staff in both wins and ERA (by starters) last season. He went through arbitration a year ago, earning $6.875 million, and the Mariners are very unlikely to allow that to happen again. They are trying to move him, but nobody else wants to pay a 12-game winner $8 million.
Possible destinations: St. Louis, Tampa Bay, White Sox.

Scott Schoeneweis, LHP, White Sox
Schoeneweis wants another chance as a starting pitcher, and could get one in Chicago. But if the Sox are able to trade for a starter before Dec. 20, they'll almost certainly let Schoeneweis go. He's a four-plus player and doesn't offer much value in a bullpen that also has lefties Damaso Marte and Kelly Wunsch. It's not out of the question that the Sox could hang onto Schoeneweis and move Wunsch, who is also eligible for arbitration.
Possible destinations: Texas, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cubs.

MarkEdward
11-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Check it out. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1667274)

The players the Sox may take interest in:

Jason Johnson, RHP, Orioles;

Meh. I'd rather take a chance on Rauch as a fifth starter.

Marlon Anderson, 2B, Devil Rays

AHH! We're better off playing Miles or Harris at second.

Geoff Blum, 3B, Astros

AHH! part two. He's not even very good for a bench player (.674 OPS in Minute Maid). I'd take my chances with Crede.

Freddy Garcia, RHP, Mariners

Only if he comes very cheaply. His DIPS numbers aren't that bad, although his homer rate is still high.

This list looks extremely bleak.

seventytwo
11-22-2003, 07:31 PM
World Series here we come!!

seventytwo
11-22-2003, 07:32 PM
AHH! part two. He's not even very good for a bench player (.674 OPS in Minute Maid). I'd take my chances with Crede.

I don't understand this. The decision isn't Crede or Blum. The decision is Graffy or Blum.

I think we'll miss Graffy a great deal.

duke of dorwood
11-22-2003, 08:35 PM
Typical list of other's spare parts

doublem23
11-22-2003, 09:47 PM
Another list I'm pretty sure was compiled using the gum-and-ruler method.

lowesox
11-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Hey, I think the Garcia thing, given the right circumstances, would be fabulous. He's the kind of player who's primed for a resurgence - and I think he's capable of being an ace.

If I'm KW, I'd be all over this. I wonder if there's a salary for salary trade we could work?

Soxfest
11-22-2003, 10:25 PM
I think Johnson may be worth a flyer, there is some potential there.

Daver
11-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Soxfest
I think Johnson may be worth a flyer, there is some potential there.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Soxfest
11-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Thanks for the welcome

RedPinStripes
11-23-2003, 10:25 AM
If the Sox are interested in anyone but Garcia, I'm getting ready to hop off that KW bandwagon i jumped on last year.

CubKilla
11-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
If the Sox are interested in anyone but Garcia, I'm getting ready to hop off that KW bandwagon i jumped on last year.

I was unaware that you jumped to the "Dark Side" Maury. The Alomar and Everett deals clouded your memory of his deals past didn't they?

Ah well, I can't blame you for being hoodwinked. I liked the deals at the time but I haven't let KW off the hook.

I wouldn't mind a starting 4 of Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, and Garcia though. Throw Ponson into the mix or, better yet, Colon..... :gulp:

RedPinStripes
11-23-2003, 01:01 PM
I've started to like KW because of the direction he was trying to go and the minor league work he's done. I have no idea what the **** he's trying to do now.

TornLabrum
11-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I've started to like KW because of the direction he was trying to go and the minor league work he's done. I have no idea what the **** he's trying to do now.

Make do on a $58-million budget?