PDA

View Full Version : the worth of Carlos Lee

Greg1983
11-22-2003, 06:50 PM
Could someone confirm for me if Carlos Lee is in fact one of the Sox starters currently without a contract for next season? Or does he become a FA next year, so the Sox are looking to trade him and get something of value for him now?

I'm also wondering what the prevailing opinion is regarding the importance of keeping him. I feel conflicted. He seems to be what we have too much of right now: a plodding power hitter who frequently swings for the fences. On the other hand, I really like the guy. He really did produce some fine offensive numbers last year, his left field defense was solid and sometimes spectacular, and he's home-grown talent brought up through our own system. I always have an affinity for guys from our own system.

So, I'm curious to know what people think. And if someone could clarify his contractual situation for me, I'd appreciate it.

Greg1983

Daver
11-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Greg1983
Could someone confirm for me if Carlos Lee is in fact one of the Sox starters currently without a contract for next season? Or does he become a FA next year, so the Sox are looking to trade him and get something of value for him now?

I'm also wondering what the prevailing opinion is regarding the importance of keeping him. I feel conflicted. He seems to be what we have too much of right now: a plodding power hitter who frequently swings for the fences. On the other hand, I really like the guy. He really did produce some fine offensive numbers last year, his left field defense was solid and sometimes spectacular, and he's home-grown talent brought up through our own system. I always have an affinity for guys from our own system.

So, I'm curious to know what people think. And if someone could clarify his contractual situation for me, I'd appreciate it.

Greg1983

He is arbitration eligible but not FA eligible for next season.

voodoochile
11-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Greg1983

Greg1983

He's not really a plodder either. He led the team in stolen bases last year. I think they should hold on to him especially if they are going to trade Maggs.

Carlos can improve his situational awareness, but he was one of the guys who made it a point to stop swinging for the fences in June or July and try to hit what they saw instead of forcing the ball into left field.

If he maxes his potential, he could be an All-Star, but if not, he is still a very solid player who has a +OPS for leftfielders.

Palehose13
11-22-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He's not really a plodder either. He led the team in stolen bases last year. I think they should hold on to him especially if they are going to trade Maggs.

Carlos can improve his situational awareness, but he was one of the guys who made it a point to stop swinging for the fences in June or July and try to hit what they saw instead of forcing the ball into left field.

If he maxes his potential, he could be an All-Star, but if not, he is still a very solid player who has a +OPS for leftfielders.

Great assessment of El Caballo. He definitely is not a plodder, but he needs to be a smarter baserunner. I think he improved his defense TREMENDOUSLY last season. If there is no way of keeping Maggs after next season, I would rather see them trade Maggs this offseason instead of Lee.

munchman33
11-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Carlos is a great hitter to have in your lineup, but with the sox already paying three righthanded hitters $28 million next year (Thomas, Ordonez, Konerko), keeping Lee around is not viable unless they can miraculously trade one of those guys. With arbitration, he'll make more than $6 million next year himself. The lineup will be fine without him (Jeremy Reed, Aaron Rowand, or Joe Borchard could fill in), and that money could be used to add a starter or reliever, where we need help more.

awesomefan
11-23-2003, 02:08 AM
I agree Carlos Lee has great all around skills of late.

It would be hurtful to me to lose Carlos or Magglio.

Can't bear the thought of losing either one of them.

Besides I LOVE THESE GUYS!!!! GO SOX!!!!

Greg1983
11-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Apologies and thank yous to those who pointed out Lee's speed and base-stealing. I kind of lumped him in with the "plodding power hitters;" I mean, you tend not to think of him as a speedster, or at least I don't. But he really is versatile.

It just makes me so anxious to think of him not being here. But that goes for Maggs as well, probably even more so.

ondafarm
11-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Great assessment of El Caballo. He definitely is not a plodder, but he needs to be a smarter baserunner. I think he improved his defense TREMENDOUSLY last season.

He still is clueless often in the outfield. Ever see him spinning his glove? Even in corner outfield positions you should be checking for the signs (Valentin has stopped even flashing those to Lee) and getting your jump accordingly. Spectacular looking catches normally are signs of bad fielding, you were caught out of poistion or with a bad jump.

His value will never be hirer than now and you can trade him with impunity. KW, pull the trigger.

jeremyb1
11-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by awesomefan
I agree Carlos Lee has great all around skills of late.

It would be hurtful to me to lose Carlos or Magglio.

Can't bear the thought of losing either one of them.

Besides I LOVE THESE GUYS!!!! GO SOX!!!!

I certainly wouldn't say he had great on base skills last season.