PDA

View Full Version : Bogus Seat Sale

munchman33
11-22-2003, 01:51 PM
I know I'm speaking for a lot of angry season ticket holders who waited in the cold today with nothing to show for it when I say that the organization has found yet another way to alienate its most important fan base.. Not only were seats sold to non-season ticket holders, but for some reason only about 500 seats were available for purchase out of over 6,000.

As if they don't screw with us enough.

CubKilla
11-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Nothing surprises me with this Organization anymore. Sorry to hear you got screwed.

LuvSox
11-22-2003, 02:04 PM
And why should people who can't afford to buy season tix be shunned from the seat sale?

Frank the Tank
11-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Wow, I can't believe there was a real demand for these seats!

PaleHoseGeorge
11-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
I know I'm speaking for a lot of angry season ticket holders who waited in the cold today with nothing to show for it when I say that the organization has found yet another way to alienate its most important fan base.. Not only were seats sold to non-season ticket holders, but for some reason only about 500 seats were available for purchase out of over 6,000.

Did you wait in line and not get a seat? How many people were there this morning? What percentage got a seat?

I thought only 6000 seats were being lost in the renovation. There is no way possible to make 6000 seats available for sale because the armrests are shared between adjacent seats. Furthermore lots of seats were probably destroyed beyond repair just trying to remove them from the risers.

If only 500 seats were available for sale I agree season ticketholders should have had first crack at them. They probably could have sold all of them without any publicity whatsoever. Just distribute a simple letter and maybe a follow up phone call from the sales agent. They're constantly kissing you ass anyway, so why not one more way to ingratiate themselves and get into your pocket, too?

munchman33
11-22-2003, 03:20 PM
I'm mostly angry because the public sale was to start at 11:00, while the sale for season ticket holders was to start at 9:00. When 9:00 came along, they simply went be line order, regardless of season ticket status. We were told that we would get priority, and then we didn't. Our ticket agents called us and emailed all of us to let us know this, and built it up as another perk for season ticket holders. We were simply strung along.

ewokpelts
11-22-2003, 03:43 PM
They simply should have sent a letter to be used for redemption instead of the mass cattle call. They weren't even planning on selling other stuff until I called them and suggested that a bunch of peopel ina buyin mood, even for hardly used plastic chairs, may want to buy other stuff. I'm getting REAL pissed off at this team.
Gene

thepaulbowski
11-22-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
And why should people who can't afford to buy season tix be shunned from the seat sale?

Because the Sox sent e-mails to them stating they would get first crack at them. Season ticket holders should get some benefits.

dickallen15
11-22-2003, 04:17 PM
I just read on their website that the White Sox were overwhelmed by the interest in the seats, and took names of people who were shut out to get seats when they become available. That probably will be next season if they switch to green.

thepaulbowski
11-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Did you wait in line and not get a seat? How many people were there this morning? What percentage got a seat?

I thought only 6000 seats were being lost in the renovation. There is no way possible to make 6000 seats available for sale because the armrests are shared between adjacent seats. Furthermore lots of seats were probably destroyed beyond repair just trying to remove them from the risers.

If only 500 seats were available for sale I agree season ticketholders should have had first crack at them. They probably could have sold all of them without any publicity whatsoever. Just distribute a simple letter and maybe a follow up phone call from the sales agent. They're constantly kissing you ass anyway, so why not one more way to ingratiate themselves and get into your pocket, too?

I would bet 75% of the people there didn't get seats. I got there at 8:45 and waited about 45 minutes. Then they came around saying there won't be any seats left by the time we get to the front of the line. But stay in line and they will put our name on a list & they had other stuff they wanted to sell us. This organization can not handle anything properly. It's stuff like this that just hacks me off, stupid little stuff they can't handle.

munchman33
11-22-2003, 04:34 PM
You have to admit though, selling things was pretty clever. No one wanted to go home empty handed and almost everyone bought bobblehead dolls.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
I just read on their website that the White Sox were overwhelmed by the interest in the seats, and took names of people who were shut out to get seats when they become available. That probably will be next season if they switch to green.

:giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco
"You don't think they're on to me, do you?"

:)

dickallen15
11-22-2003, 04:42 PM
I don't think you can blame them for not having any idea what the interest in these seats were. I'm sure if they knew, they would have at least doubled the price. The only thing they could have done is offered them to season ticketholders first, but with the interest today, its a good bet they will go green next year, and there will be plenty of blue seats for everyone.

DSpivack
11-22-2003, 04:46 PM
They couldn't just paint the blue seats green, instead of replacing more than 40,000 seats?

dickallen15
11-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
They couldn't just paint the blue seats green, instead of replacing more than 40,000 seats?

I don't think that is practical.

bestkosher
11-22-2003, 05:47 PM
my wife and I (non ) season ticket holders also were gipped out of seats as well today, it all fine and dandy that season ticket holders want them first, but it is like the old saying goes the rich get richer, my wife and I are both teachers so we can not afford to buy season tickets, even though we would love to have them. Also the seats they were selling only had one arm rest, to them.

The sox had pr people out there saying we had no idea, we did not think.....and then tried to make us buy 2004 white sox calendars and bobbleheads. Even when you did get ot the front of line to sign your name, they said are you season ticket holder first, automatically seperate the classes of season tickets holders vs. those who are not as if to say rich vs. poor. A season ticket holder does not makea person a greater fan, just a fan with less money in his pocket and their seat in the plastic palace.

Bah green
givem seats the color of puce

joecrede
11-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Why don't the Sox use things like the demand for these seats as an opportunity to sell tickets?

Here's my idea. Take the seven most attractive games on the schedule (opening day, the three Cubs games, three Saturday night games in June, July, August) and offer an upper deck reserve ticket for each of those as part of a package that included coupons redeemable for an upper deck reserve ticket to three additional games of your choice for $56? Make packages like this available through Christmas (makes a great gift!!) on their web site, Bulls games, and events like this seat sale. I'd think they'd be able to move 80,000+ tickets this way.

Another pet peeve of mine about the way this team markets itself and misses golden opportunities to sell tickets is that they should find a way to be involved in one of the biggest events on the south side, The South Side Irish Parade. Be a sponser, do something to associate themselves with the south side. Also, that'd be a perfect place to sell those coupon books they had last year.

joecrede
11-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
my wife and I (non ) season ticket holders also were gipped out of seats as well today, it all fine and dandy that season ticket holders want them first, but it is like the old saying goes the rich get richer, my wife and I are both teachers so we can not afford to buy season tickets, even though we would love to have them. Also the seats they were selling only had one arm rest, to them.

The sox had pr people out there saying we had no idea, we did not think.....and then tried to make us buy 2004 white sox calendars and bobbleheads. Even when you did get ot the front of line to sign your name, they said are you season ticket holder first, automatically seperate the classes of season tickets holders vs. those who are not as if to say rich vs. poor. A season ticket holder does not makea person a greater fan, just a fan with less money in his pocket and their seat in the plastic palace.

Bah green

You don't have to be rich to be a season ticket holder.

dickallen15
11-22-2003, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bestkosher
[B]my wife and I (non ) season ticket holders also were gipped out of seats as well today, it all fine and dandy that season ticket holders want them first, but it is like the old saying goes the rich get richer, my wife and I are both teachers so we can not afford to buy season tickets, even though we would love to have them. Also the seats they were selling only had one arm rest, to them.

Bah green

To give seasonticketholders first crack at the seats is the right thing to do. They are the ones putting their money upfront. It isn't about being rich, its about taking care of your most frequent customers,something many businesses do. And going by your post, I wonder why youv wanted a seat anyway.

munchman33
11-22-2003, 06:29 PM

Bah green

I'm a college student who pays his own tuition, apartment rent and utilities, and only works part time making less than $10,000 a year, yet I still find a way to buy at least a split season package. The white sox mean that much to me. Don't cry poor to me. I think I earned the right to have first crack at the seats, just as all season ticket holders did.

Nick@Nite
11-22-2003, 06:43 PM
... but why would anyone want a stadium seat in their house or apartment, anyway? The only practical use of it would be as a collection point for coming and going laundry.

I'm not purposely trying to sound sarcastic... I know stadium seats are memorabilia... but I for one have been trying to downsize my total number of possessions since '95... and I still have too much stuff lying around.

If they're buyers out there when the Sox sell stuff like stadium seats to raise money for the organization or charities... then what a country. :cool:

joepoe
11-22-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
... but why would anyone want a stadium seat in their house or apartment, anyway? The only practical use of it would be as a collection point for coming and going laundry.

... then what a country. :cool:

You obviously have not been to a fan's basement to see their "shrines".

ewokpelts
11-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Why don't the Sox use things like the demand for these seats as an opportunity to sell tickets?

Here's my idea. Take the seven most attractive games on the schedule (opening day, the three Cubs games, three Saturday night games in June, July, August) and offer an upper deck reserve ticket for each of those as part of a package that included coupons redeemable for an upper deck reserve ticket to three additional games of your choice for $56? Make packages like this available through Christmas (makes a great gift!!) on their web site, Bulls games, and events like this seat sale. I'd think they'd be able to move 80,000+ tickets this way.

Another pet peeve of mine about the way this team markets itself and misses golden opportunities to sell tickets is that they should find a way to be involved in one of the biggest events on the south side, The South Side Irish Parade. Be a sponser, do something to associate themselves with the south side. Also, that'd be a perfect place to sell those coupon books they had last year.

Joe,
You're assuming that the Sox know how to market major league baseball on the south side.

Gene

p.s. Good Ideas..although I'd restructure the first idea a bit. I'd go with gift certificates. Something the Sox DO HAVE, but not avaialable as xmas gifts, ect.

TornLabrum
11-22-2003, 10:52 PM
The Sox issued the following press release today regarding the seat sale:

11/22/2003 3:06 PM ET]

Ballpark seats sold out

CHICAGO -- Due to high demand and limited quantity, the seats available for purchase during today's seat sale at U.S. Cellular Field are now sold out.

The White Sox would like to extend their apologies to the fans and supporters who came to the ballpark today and were unable to purchase seats. The White Sox were thrilled, and surprised, by the overwhelming response to the seats, and apologize that demand far exceeded supply and that not everyone was accommodated.

To accommodate those fans who were at the ballpark when the seats sold out, names were placed on a waiting list. In the event that additional seats become available, the White Sox will contact those fans with further details.

cwsox
11-23-2003, 01:07 AM
A season ticket holder does not makea person a greater fan, just a fan with less money in his pocket and their seat in the plastic palace.

Oh come on. As others have pointed out, it a matter of priorities. I wish I had a second income in the family to support my seasons ticket and travel habits - by the way, I live 205 miles away and still make the games and have seasons tickets.

There are other things I do not do or forego because ging to the games means that much to me.

And the occasional perk for laying out my money to support the Sox is not too much to ask -such as first crack at buying these seats.

CubKilla
11-23-2003, 02:30 AM
Season ticket holders deserve first crack at any White Sox sale offerings based on a seniority basis..... IMHO. God knows, anyone who has shelled out their hard earned cash for every year during the JR Regime (if there are any left) deserves first crack at 500 or so 12 year old blue, plastic seats.

gosox41
11-23-2003, 11:48 AM

I'm trying not too judge, but please tell me what is so special about some ugly blue plastic seat being removed from the UD of a 13 year old ballpark? Did someone famous sit there? Did you have a lot of fond memories of the last 6rows of the UD? It was said ahead of time that the seats were being sold as is and not in good condition (ie missing legs etc)

I thought about going. I have some of the old Comiskey seats because of they're history. But I determined it to be a waste, especialyl when I heard that most of the seats were damaged and unusable. What would you have done if they had all those seats on sale, come here and complain the Sox are selling damaged goods?

Bob

CLR01
11-23-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
What would you have done if they had all those seats on sale, come here and complain the Sox are selling damaged goods?

Bob

I'll guarantee thats exactly what would have happened. Some people here just like to complain.

soxnut
11-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
I'll guarantee thats exactly what would have happened. Some people here just like to complain.

Yeah, I think you're right, some people do like to complain. And there would have been complaints, no matter what anyway. As for the Sox being suprised that so many people showed up, I would be too. After all, there have been so many people saying how much they don't like the blue seats, why would they think that many people would be interested?

Let's also keep this in mind, whomever bought those seats, should be thanked...the money is going to charity :smile:

ExSoxFan
11-23-2003, 12:26 PM
I also believe that season-ticket holders deserve any and all perks that the team offers them.
I'd like to go to more games than I do ( 7 last season ), but things are what they are financially, so I make choices.
If someone has the money and the will to make that kind of financial committment to the Sox, then the Sox SHOULD show their appreciation in return.
Anybody who thinks that's unfair is just plain wrong.

Hangar18
11-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Yup. Somehow, people who WERENT season ticket holders
simply got there early Anyway, and the seats were gone.
The SOX, as usual, Dropped the Ball on this one. Again .
I didnt get a chair either :angry:

TornLabrum
11-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yup. Somehow, people who WERENT season ticket holders
simply got there early Anyway, and the seats were gone.
The SOX, as usual, Dropped the Ball on this one. Again .
I didnt get a chair either :angry:

Judging from last night's news, the person who dropped the bal was Christine O'Reilly.

ewokpelts
11-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Judging from last night's news, the person who dropped the bal was Christine O'Reilly.

And this person is?

Gene

Viva Magglio
11-23-2003, 02:02 PM
What the @#$% does this organization use for a brain?

CubKilla
11-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
What the @#$% does this organization use for a brain?

They're sitting on it :D:

joecrede
11-23-2003, 02:05 PM

Saw that and felt pretty bad for her. It was obviously an honest mistake because if they thought the demand would be that great they would have priced them higher than $30 & $50.

Truthfully, if you were to tell me beforehand that this sale was going to be covered by the news, I'd have said there'd be a lot of video of blue seats (and no lines.) Who knew?

At least they attempted to make ammends by taking the names of the people in line and issued an apology, sadly that won't be good enough for some.

:ass
"Once again, the White Sox screw the public. Instead of a seat, anyone want to adopt a dog?"

munchman33
11-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

If I didn't like to complain I wouldn't be a Sox fan. :)

TornLabrum
11-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
And this person is?

Gene

Director of Advertising and Community Relations

PaleHoseGeorge
11-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Director of Advertising and Community Relations

Is she the former Christine Makowski?

TornLabrum
11-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Is she the former Christine Makowski?

Yes, she is. She took back her maiden name when her daughter turned 12 or 13 or something and they made the mutual decision to dump the ex's name.

ewokpelts
11-23-2003, 04:47 PM
These seats could have made more money for the Charity. While it's good that the Charity made money yesterday(by selling seats and calendars), they should have had separate lines for season ticket holders and the general public. I spend a lot of money, and while I'm on the fence about renewing and spending more(due to ticket prices jumping), I wanted what was offered to me. There's no reason why the season ticket holder sale was open to the public as well.

Gene

ewokpelts
11-23-2003, 04:50 PM
:giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco :giangreco
"You don't think they're on to me, do you?"

:)

oh no! it's the attack of the clones!

ewokpelts
11-23-2003, 04:57 PM

I'm a college student who pays his own tuition, apartment rent and utilities, and only works part time making less than $10,000 a year, yet I still find a way to buy at least a split season package. The white sox mean that much to me. Don't cry poor to me. I think I earned the right to have first crack at the seats, just as all season ticket holders did.

Originally posted by cwsox

Oh come on. As others have pointed out, it a matter of priorities. I wish I had a second income in the family to support my seasons ticket and travel habits - by the way, I live 205 miles away and still make the games and have seasons tickets.

There are other things I do not do or forego because ging to the games means that much to me.

And the occasional perk for laying out my money to support the Sox is not too much to ask -such as first crack at buying these seats.

Originally posted by CubKilla
Season ticket holders deserve first crack at any White Sox sale offerings based on a seniority basis..... IMHO. God knows, anyone who has shelled out their hard earned cash for every year during the JR Regime (if there are any left) deserves first crack at 500 or so 12 year old blue, plastic seats.

Originally posted by ExSoxFan
I also believe that season-ticket holders deserve any and all perks that the team offers them.
I'd like to go to more games than I do ( 7 last season ), but things are what they are financially, so I make choices.
If someone has the money and the will to make that kind of financial committment to the Sox, then the Sox SHOULD show their appreciation in return.
Anybody who thinks that's unfair is just plain wrong.

To Best Kosher,

I'm not rich. In fact, I usually go broke paying for my sox tickets, or advancing money owed by my ticket partners. I'm not a better fan, but I put my money where my mouth is. Mind you, I also find every last way to rip this team off and go to games for free or dirt cheep(I have a partial plan). There are no bad fans, only scrub fans posing as sox fans. To the other guys, I echo your statements.
Gene

soxnut
11-23-2003, 08:01 PM
If I didn't like to complain I wouldn't be a Sox fan. :)

Well, as I've said in the past.......thank God my decision to be a Sox fan isn't based on the attitude of other Sox fans.

Realist
11-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Saw that and felt pretty bad for her. It was obviously an honest mistake because if they thought the demand would be that great they would have priced them higher than $30 & $50.

Truthfully, if you were to tell me beforehand that this sale was going to be covered by the news, I'd have said there'd be a lot of video of blue seats (and no lines.) Who knew?

At least they attempted to make ammends by taking the names of the people in line and issued an apology, sadly that won't be good enough for some.

"Once again, the White Sox screw the public. Instead of a seat, anyone want to adopt a dog?"

I've got the perfect solution to fix this little snafu. Sell ALL the blue seats at $50 a pop. Take the money and buy new green ones. We all get momentos for our basements and we all get to go sit in a park with a new roof and new green seats.

gosox41
11-24-2003, 08:27 AM

I don't blame the Sox for this one. The way the fans complain about the dislike of the new ballpark plus the moaning about the prices and the time it takes to travel to Comiskey, etc. I would have it would be a small crowd also.

I guess a lot of people want to own blue plastic junk and are willing to wait for it. I don't get it but I do find it amusing.

Bob

ChiSoxBobette
11-24-2003, 12:28 PM

I waited in line for seats and I'm a season ticket holder, I was e-mailed by my salesperson who said there would be 6000 seats (not all of them in good shape)available because of the new constructionand to get there at 9am. After waiting in line from 9am to approx. 10am a White Sox spokesperson came out and said there were no seats available for all of us in line, but she said that if we would stay in line they would take our names down and contact us when/if seats became available. My wife and I were in line and I only saw a few people drive over to the players parking lot to pick up thier seats, so if 500 seats were sold as has been reported they must have let people pay for them earlier than 9am, we were also told by some of the other fans there that the Sox were having trouble verifing people who were season ticket holders. Beleive me it was a mess and there were more than a few fans out there screaming and cursing. I told my wife that it was just a scam to get Sox fans to buy that calendar they have on the web site and those 3 pack boxes of bobble heads. It was very poorly planned and thought out. I'm sure I won't be hearing from the sox about any seats being available and when they got to me and took down our name, e-mail address & home phone number the guy said I was number 56 in line to be called. Just another P.R. gaff by the White Sox.

Irishsox1
11-24-2003, 01:59 PM
I can't believe that many people showed up to by 10 year old blue plastic seats from the upper deck!! The seats are totally ugly, and carry no real meaning. I can understand buying an old Comiskey seat or brick, but the blue seats?? I, like the White Sox are really surprised that they went that fast.

steff
11-24-2003, 06:11 PM

I posted last week that they had tossed almost all of them when someone said "hey.. think we can sell these..?"

No one listens to me.... :(:

steff
11-24-2003, 06:15 PM

Bah green

For some reason.. I feel like I should be offended by your post. Jim and I are definitely not rich. We budget our ST cost like a bill. You want, you save. It's not about being in a different financial bracket. I take offense.

steff
11-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I waited in line for seats and I'm a season ticket holder, I was e-mailed by my salesperson who said there would be 6000 seats (not all of them in good shape)available because of the new constructionand to get there at 9am. After waiting in line from 9am to approx. 10am a White Sox spokesperson came out and said there were no seats available for all of us in line, but she said that if we would stay in line they would take our names down and contact us when/if seats became available. My wife and I were in line and I only saw a few people drive over to the players parking lot to pick up thier seats, so if 500 seats were sold as has been reported they must have let people pay for them earlier than 9am, we were also told by some of the other fans there that the Sox were having trouble verifing people who were season ticket holders. Beleive me it was a mess and there were more than a few fans out there screaming and cursing. I told my wife that it was just a scam to get Sox fans to buy that calendar they have on the web site and those 3 pack boxes of bobble heads. It was very poorly planned and thought out. I'm sure I won't be hearing from the sox about any seats being available and when they got to me and took down our name, e-mail address & home phone number the guy said I was number 56 in line to be called. Just another P.R. gaff by the White Sox.

There was not one mention of how many would be sold... much less an exact figure of 6000.

U.S. Cellular Field Seat Sale
Early access for season ticket holders only!

Saturday, November 22 fans have an opportunity to purchase seats being removed as part of the latest phase of ballpark renovations.
The seat sale will be held on Saturday, November 22, 2003 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at U.S. Cellular Field (333 West 35th Street). As a season ticket holder, we would like to offer you early access to this sale from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Seats will be sold from the Gate 5 ticket windows, so buyers should park in Lot B on the north side of 35th Street.
Seats will be available in as-is condition for $30 (single seat) and $50 (double seats). The seats are not mounted and may be missing an outside arm. Cash and credit cards will be accepted.
Proceeds benefit Chicago White Sox Charities.
To get all the details: www.whitesox.com

doogiec
11-24-2003, 08:39 PM
I got shut out too. I was assuming that interest would be quite limited for these, and I'd be able to show up at 9:00 am and grab as many as I wanted. The people who got there before me wanted the seats more, and they got them.

Every story I read and the email I got from the White Sox did not reference a specific seat count, in fact the newspaper articles clearly stated "limited" number of seats. I have no clue where people got their "6000" number, seeing as they only removed 6600 seats it makes no sense that they could salvage anywhere near that number.

If this is the worst thing we have to complain about this offseason, it should be a great offseason.

By the way, congratulations to the couple of fans who showed such class by scream "F***" at Christine O while in line. You made us all proud to be Sox fans again.

Lip Man 1
11-25-2003, 01:59 AM
Christine should be counting her blessings that she only got screamed at. If this was NYC and this snafu happened she would have been carried out.

Lip

soxnut
11-25-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Christine should be counting her blessings that she only got screamed at. If this was NYC and this snafu happened she would have been carried out.

Lip

Noone is excused for poor behavior no matter where it is...........