PDA

View Full Version : Angels sign Escobar

MHOUSE
11-22-2003, 12:36 PM
The Angels signed up Kelvim Escobar formerly of the Toronto Blue Jays. Reported he'll get $18.75 mil for three years. That seems like a really good contract for a guy who has only had one good season as a starter. The Jays had offered 2 years for $10 mil which seems more reasonable. But Lowe went from closer to 20-game winner so maybe Escobar will turn out. The article also mentions that the Angels are looking at Colon.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1668122)

TheRockinMT
11-22-2003, 12:43 PM
I was hoping this was just a rumor and no deal had been finalized. That was what I had last read anyway. If this is true we lost out on a real decent pitching addition. Maybe we are still in the hunt for Colon after all?

SoxxoS
11-22-2003, 01:57 PM
For all this speculation that contracts are going to be pretty low this year, all the ones I have seen have been a lot higher priced than what I would believe.

The guy has had one good year and he gets 19 million over 3 years?

TraderTim
11-22-2003, 02:38 PM
However, the Yankees now state they can't afford Vlad?

We'll see how the salary levels shake out.

Sometimes, the early birds don't get the worm, they get the shaft...as in, $5 mill for Jose and now Escobar getting what seems to be a rather juicy deal.

Let's see what the bids are on Colon. It will also be interesting to see if the Yankees aren't shopping for Vlad because they are trading for a fielder...

Forkit!

spanishwhite
11-22-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The guy has had one good year and he gets 19 million over 3 years?

Half of a good year.
He started off as a closer this year and had a rough start.

Angels overpaid for him.

It probably means that they'll overpay for Colon.

jeremyb1
11-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
Half of a good year.
He started off as a closer this year and had a rough start.

Angels overpaid for him.

It probably means that they'll overpay for Colon.

I'd take Escobar at that salary in a heartbeat. He had a 3.92 ERA and a 2:1 K/BB ratio as a starter. Most importantly perhaps, he had a high groundball to fly ball ratio, 1.54, which combined with a 2.84 ERA on grass compared to 5.51 on turf makes him look like a good bet to pitch well next season. I'd certainly pay him 6+ way before paying Colon 13+.