PDA

View Full Version : Why Plastic Seats?

Frank the Tank
11-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Since its fairly obvious the sox will be installing new seats through retro-inspired renovations (2005), why not bring back wood seats? I am not sure, but I don't think it would cost that much more to do away with the plastic. I don't think any other MLB team has wood seats and it would give the cell a unique look/distinction. Also, when people complain about the color of seats, they can easily be painted. If fans want a retro park, why not wood seats?

duke of dorwood
11-21-2003, 09:36 PM
No splinters, no painting, no rotting, and easily contoured for comfort.

Fisk Fan
11-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I don't think any other MLB team has wood seats and it would give the cell a unique look/distinction. Also, when people complain about the color of seats, they can easily be painted. If fans want a retro park, why not wood seats?

I'm pretty sure the stadium on the North Side sports wood....seats.

BTW, I feel a Moronotti column on the horizon if that happens.

roofshot87
11-21-2003, 11:32 PM
Perhaps a fire code violation.

soxnut
11-21-2003, 11:58 PM
Recently, after visiting the Museum of Broadcast Communications, and sitting in the Old Comiskey seats in the Sports wing of the MBC....I remembered why plastic is better. :smile:

Frank the Tank
11-22-2003, 01:02 AM
I'm pretty sure the cubs have plastic seats now. Wood seats are fairly uncomfortable, but they look great in baseball fields. IMO, molded hard plastic seats are no more comfortable than the old wood ones were. I really don't think they are going to invest in padded seats. If they do, it will be for the rich seats only.

CubKilla
11-22-2003, 01:19 AM
A friend of mine *cough* RPS *cough* smokes his cancer sticks during the game so we buy a ticket for admission and watch the majority of the game from the concourse while standing. Plastic is better though. Plastic green seats with the currently silver railings painted yellow (no yellow in the color palate :?: ) would be just like Old Comiskey.

doublem23
11-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Wood seats are maybe the most uncomfortable things ever imagined.

voodoochile
11-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Cost has a lot to do with it. Wood has to be cut and nailed and painted and shellacked before it can be installed.

Plastic has to be dyed (in quantity) and then extruded through a machine and allowed to cool.

Also, the price of wood is going up and the price of plastic is going down.

P)lastic also much easier to maintain as it doesn't rot, lose it's color and has a higher tensile strength.

Mammoo
11-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Plastic seats are cheaper (material and mass production) and last longer$$$$$$$$$$

RedPinStripes
11-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
A friend of mine *cough* RPS *cough* smokes his cancer sticks during the game so we buy a ticket for admission and watch the majority of the game from the concourse while standing. Plastic is better though. Plastic green seats with the currently silver railings painted yellow (no yellow in the color palate :?: ) would be just like Old Comiskey.

Wonder who that guy is you're talking about? :D:

Hangar18
11-23-2003, 12:38 PM
the Old Green wooden seats surely looked Charming...
but Ever sit in one of those for 9 innings? The new plastic
ones are WAY MORE COMFORTABLE