PDA

View Full Version : Official Press Release for renovations.

ewokpelts
11-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Hi.
Got thisinmy email. No pics, just text, despite the release referring to pics.
Gene

ILLINOIS SPORTS FACILITIES AUTHORITY AND CHICAGO WHITE SOX
ANNOUNCE 2004 RENOVATIONS TO U.S. CELLULAR FIELD

CHICAGO - Major structural renovations to U.S. Cellular Field's upper deck - changes that will dramatically impact the height, profile and atmosphere of the ballpark for White Sox fans - top the list of 2004 renovations now underway at U.S. Cellular Field.

Eight rows of the upper deck have been demolished, eliminating 6,600 seats and lowering the height of the ballpark by nearly 20 feet. A new, horizontal roof will be built to cover the park's back 13 rows, leaving only the first eight rows uncovered. The upper deck concourse will be enclosed and protected from the weather with a translucent wall that will combine with the new roof and ironwork to give the outside of the ballpark a very distinctive look.

Fans will immediately notice the changes.

"This year's renovations will have a very positive impact on the fan experience at U.S. Cellular Field," said Terry Savarise, White Sox vice president of stadium operations. "Our goal with the new upper deck seating area and concourse is to give fans the same comfort, feel and enjoyment of the game you get on our main concourse. During the research we have conducted over several years, improving the upper deck has been the number one upgrade requested by fans. Because of the size and costs of this project, we were not able to undertake this major step until we received the support of U.S. Cellular's partnership last February."

In addition to the upper deck reconstruction, other 2004 renovations fans will notice include: adding another level to the popular Fan Deck in center field; building a balcony on the Lower Terrace Suite in left field; and completing a new sound system throughout the ballpark.

This offseason's Phase IV projects are being funded through the naming rights partnership with U.S. Cellular. Phase IV renovations are scheduled to be completed by Opening Day 2004. A fully renovated U.S. Cellular Field will open in 2005.

"We are excited by the opportunity to address some of the fan concerns about U.S. Cellular Field," said John E. Rooney, president and CEO of U.S. Cellular. "U.S. Cellular is committed to working with the White Sox and ISFA to making U.S. Cellular Field a world class
ballpark. By renovating the upper deck and adding to the fan deck in center field, we have continued to improve U.S. Cellular Field for the fans of Chicago by making it a more intimate ballpark in which to watch a baseball game."

Specific highlights of 2004 renovations include:

" Upper Deck Seating Area
Eight rows and 6,600 seats have been removed from the top of ballpark's upper deck, and the previously sloped canopy-style roof will be replaced by a flat roof, elevated 20 feet above the seating area (see attached rendering). The new roof, featuring ornamental ironwork on the fašade, will extend over the back 13 rows of the upper deck, leaving just the first eight rows uncovered.
" Upper Deck Concourse
The upper deck concourse, which now will be enclosed from the weather by a translucent wall, also will be upgraded with a great many enhancements for fans. The walls and walkways of the concourse will take on a look similar to the main concourse with ironwork beams and artwork highlighting the franchise's history (see attached rendering).
" Multitiered Fan Deck in Center Field
The Fan Deck on the center field concourse, which was completed before the 2003 season, now will feature tiered seating and/or standing. The Fan Deck features food and beverage service and allows fans to look down onto the playing field from a unique vantage point above the batter's eye (see attached rendering).
" Lower Terrace Balcony
An outdoor balcony will be added to the Lower Terrace Suite to provide an additional party area and outdoor seating.

"The Illinois Sports Facilities Authority has successfully completed three phases of renovations to U.S. Cellular Field on time and within budget," said Jerry D. Blakemore, CEO of the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority. "The dollars from U.S. Cellular allow us, without additional cost to tax payers, to develop and implement Phase IV, which will not only address the concerns related to the upper deck but continue our efforts to bring jobs and business opportunities to the Chicago metropolitan area. The Illinois Sports Facilities Authority is pleased to be part of this public-private partnership with the Chicago White Sox and U.S. Cellular."

The Phase IV renovations are estimated to cost approximately $28 million.

To view a digital version of the renovations or to see a fly-through of the new upper deck, please visit www.whitesox.com (as of 2 p.m. CT).

Huisj
11-20-2003, 01:24 PM
how strange that there's a john rooney with US Cellular. that's ironic

Scotty347
11-20-2003, 01:26 PM
I have been emailed the official release from my season ticket representative and cannot find a link yet on the internet. Someone please add it to this thread when available.

Here are some highlights:
Eight rows of the upper deck have been demolished, eliminating 6,600 seats and lowering the height of the ballpark by nearly 20 feet. A new, horizontal roof will be built to cover the park's back 13 rows, leaving only the first eight rows uncovered. The upper deck concourse will be enclosed and protected from the weather with a translucent wall that will combine with the new roof and ironwork to give the outside of the ballpark a very distinctive look.

In addition to the upper deck reconstruction, other 2004 renovations fans will notice include: adding another level to the popular Fan Deck in center field; building a balcony on the Lower Terrace Suite in left field; and completing a new sound system throughout the ballpark.

Specific highlights of 2004 renovations include:

Upper Deck Seating Area
Eight rows and 6,600 seats have been removed from the top of ballpark's upper deck, and the previously sloped canopy-style roof will be replaced by a flat roof, elevated 20 feet above the seating area (see attached rendering). The new roof, featuring ornamental ironwork on the fašade, will extend over the back 13 rows of the upper deck, leaving just the first eight rows uncovered.
" Upper Deck Concourse
The upper deck concourse, which now will be enclosed from the weather by a translucent wall, also will be upgraded with a great many enhancements for fans. The walls and walkways of the concourse will take on a look similar to the main concourse with ironwork beams and artwork highlighting the franchise's history (see attached rendering).
" Multitiered Fan Deck in Center Field
The Fan Deck on the center field concourse, which was completed before the 2003 season, now will feature tiered seating and/or standing. The Fan Deck features food and beverage service and allows fans to look down onto the playing field from a unique vantage point above the batter's eye (see attached rendering).
" Lower Terrace Balcony
An outdoor balcony will be added to the Lower Terrace Suite to provide an additional party area and outdoor seating.

maurice
11-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
To view a digital version of the renovations or to see a fly-through of the new upper deck, please visit www.whitesox.com (as of 2 p.m. CT).

I can't wait. The only new thing on the page right now is an article hyping Ross Gload (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031118&content_id=605555&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp). :(:

I like the sound of the decorative ironwork.

npdempse
11-20-2003, 01:36 PM
I don't know if my ticket agent is just better than you guys, or if you're just missing this--
http://www.hksinc.com/2002/portfolioUSCF.htm

I can't get the movies to load, but the pictures are awesome. UD looks incredible (concourse enclosed in GLASS), and the black & white color scheme is soooo much better than that nasty blue.

(edit) I see this is already in the other message about renovations. I think this is the best they're going to give us for a while. (/edit)

Tekijawa
11-20-2003, 01:45 PM
I hate it, the upperdeck is too short! And the Over hang Scares me!

lol ;)

Anything from your ticket agent about Improving the pitching? Or when KW said pitching was the focus for this offseason was he talking about the Pitch of the upperdeck (I know that was bad, but I just had to say it)

:wills
Is this Andy Richter?
:kermit