PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell is Nap Lajoie

deadfall78
11-20-2003, 01:11 PM
So I was looking around for rumors and possible trades and I stumbeled upon something. Apparentley the Sox and the Tigers made a trade involving 2 pitchers for Nap Lajoie according to a site called OOSL (www.oosl.org) if u want to see it click on online column and go to rumorville. Now the name rings a bell but I have'nt been able to find the guy anywhere and I cant find another site to confirm this. Please help me out its driving me nuts.

CHISOXFAN13
11-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Lajoie was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1937 and he died in 1959.

As far as I know he never played an inning for Chicago or Detroit.

cwsox
11-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Nap LaJoie is one of the all time baseball greats and everyone should know who he is.

However I have no knowledge of Lajoie as a Sox or Tiger.

LaJoie stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lajoina01.shtml)

The_Floridian
11-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Napolean Lajoie--Hall of Famer

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/lajoie_nap.htm

maurice
11-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Nap Lajoie (http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lajoina01.shtml) is a Hall of Famer from WAY back. Never played for the Sox, though.

The site you linked is a fantasy league.

deadfall78
11-20-2003, 01:20 PM
thanks guys im not sure why the date on that was 9/16/03 must have just been a mistake but im really glad to know because it was driving me crazy.

maurice
11-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by deadfall78
the date on that was 9/16/03 must have just been a mistake

It's not a mistake. It's a fantasy league. The trade never happened in real life.

LuvSox
11-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by maurice
It's not a mistake. It's a fantasy league. The trade never happened in real life.

Too funny :D:

jabrch
11-20-2003, 03:30 PM
We could trade Rowand, Koch and Konerko for Walter Johnson and that would solve many of our problems. The Big Train could pitch every third day, being both in the front and the middle of our rotation.

Johnson
Loaiza
Buehrle
Johnson
Garland
Ponson

Johnson wouldn't find JR cheap, at least for his first contract. 13mm EVEN IF PART WAS DEFERRED would be more than he ever could have imagined.

While we are at it, we could sign Pud Galvin. Aside to having the 5th most wins in the history of MLB, it would assure us, for once, that the biggest Pud on our team was neither our owner, our GM or our Manager!

While we are at it, if we could get Joe Jackson off the banned list, he could lead off and play CF for us!

Ok, nuff fun...back to reality of being a Sox fan.

Dadawg_77
11-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Actually the Sox made a trade for 35 year old minor leaguer outfielder Nap Lajoy. Kenny Williams thought he landed a perfect player to take over second base.

Deadguy
11-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Lajoie was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1937 and he died in 1959.

As far as I know he never played an inning for Chicago or Detroit.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lajoina01.shtml

I'd take Nap's 45 year old rotting corpse over Konerko right now. He could probably still beat GIDPaul in a foot race.

longshot7
11-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Big Train, huh? Not bad, but I'd trade the New York Giants for both Christy Mathewson and John McGraw. Maybe they'll take Konerko & Guillen.

or we could just bring back Billy Pierce.

nasox
11-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
[url]I'd take Nap's 45 year old rotting corpse over Konerko right now. He could probably still beat GIDPaul in a foot race.

Dude! He is dead. I know this is sarcstic and tongue-in-cheek but hes dead. SHow him some respect. Although I will admit that he would beat GIDPaul in a race.

Deadguy
11-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by nasox
Dude! He is dead. I know this is sarcstic and tongue-in-cheek but hes dead. SHow him some respect.

Too soon?

That reminds me of a joke from Family Guy where Brian the dog makes a comment about how something is lamer than FDR's legs, and then the whole family gives him a shocked look. Then he responds with a, "Too soon"?

KingXerxes
11-20-2003, 04:35 PM
:farmer

"Well when it comes to talking about Naps - nobody knows better than me - with the possible exception of Rip Van Winkle, who took a nap of epic proportions while watching some elves have a game of bowling. Never was very good at bowling, the ball was too heavy - couldn't make it curve. Had a good curve for a little while with these very White Sox, but I wasn't heaving a sixteen pound Brunswick Black Beauty at the time, wish I could throw a sixteen pound curve ball - be hard to hit, unless the batter were swing a telephone pole sized bowling pin - then he probably could hit it. Well anyway, I'm not talking about naps, I'm talking about Naps - as in Lajoie - hard name to pronounce. Rooney how do you pronounce it."

:rooney

"I always thought it was La-Joy."

:DJ

"That's what I thought too."

:hawk

"Yessir, Napolean Lajoie........that's pronounced La-HO-EE...Mercy that man could just flat out bowl........once time I was sitting waitin' for my turn to bowl, and The Little Napolean darn near picked up a 7-10 split. I can still hear Hughie Jennings in my ear yellin' "HO-EE!".........you know that cheer stuck to Ol' Hughie Jennings and he was thereafter forever known as "HO-EE" Jennings......Mercy."

:DJ

"Hughie Jennings' nickname was "EE-YAH" not "HO-EE", and The Little Napolean was John McGraw."

:hawk

"Yessir - Nap Lajoie.................Windy City Bowlmeister.......Mercy I miss that man."

cwsox
11-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
Big Train, huh? Not bad, but I'd trade the New York Giants for both Christy Mathewson and John McGraw. Maybe they'll take Konerko & Guillen.

or we could just bring back Billy Pierce.

no no no to Billy Pierce but getting Christy Mathewson would be a masterstroke! And why not sign Cy Young - he'd have to win the Cy Young - and a rotation of Young, Mathewson, Buehlre, Loaiza, and whoever would be awesome.

And I think Bibb Falk would be a wonderful plater ready for round two with the Sox.

jabrch
11-20-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by cwsox
And why not sign Cy Young - he'd have to win the Cy Young - and a rotation of Young, Mathewson, Buehlre, Loaiza, and whoever would be awesome.

Young
Mathewson
Buehrle
Young
Mathewson
Loaiza

Daver
11-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

"Yessir - Nap Lajoie.................Windy City Bowlmeister.......Mercy I miss that man."

Thanx King........

I'm dying here.

LMAO!!!!!

:)

cwsox
11-20-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Young
Mathewson
Buehrle
Young
Mathewson
Loaiza

you win! you are right! that would be the rotation there! I feel silly for not having thought of that!

MarqSox
11-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by maurice
I think that's the first time I've ever truly laughed out loud at a Sox Clubhouse thread. That's hilarious. :)

jabrch
11-21-2003, 11:58 AM
PC - 750$
Internet connection - 25$ a month
WSI T-Shirt - 20$

Posting about a trade where we acquire a guy who has been dead for 75 years - PRICELESS

:) :) :)

jabrch
11-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by cwsox
you win! you are right! that would be the rotation there! I feel silly for not having thought of that!

Another option is to sign Babe Ruth. he could pitch every 5th day and DH the other 4. Fortunately, since JM is gone, we wouldn't have to worry about JM trying to make Ruth play SS or C or something assinine like that.

Hondo
11-21-2003, 12:18 PM
I believe Napolean Lajoie was an original member of the hall of fame. I think I saw that in Ken Burns' Baseball. Third Inning.

Can anyone confirm or deny that?

doogiec
11-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Nap Lajoie was such a popular player (and I believe Player Manager) during his time in Cleveland that the team was called the Cleveland Naps. After he left Cleveland the team nickname was changed to the Indians.

jabrch
11-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
Nap Lajoie was such a popular player (and I believe Player Manager) during his time in Cleveland that the team was called the Cleveland Naps. After he left Cleveland the team nickname was changed to the Indians.

JM was so unpopular last season that most people who watched us play called us the Chicago Naps. Either that, or....

:corpseball

Nick@Nite
11-21-2003, 04:00 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lajoina01.shtml

I'd take Nap's 45 year old rotting corpse over Konerko right now. He could probably still beat GIDPaul in a foot race.

But remember that ole' Nap and PK would still come in 3rd & 4th respectively when racing a pregnant women.

pudge
11-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Now that we've swung a deal to have Lajoie shore up our second-base worries, do you think we get get in touch with Billy Beane and the Philadelphia A's for Jimmie Foxx?? Then we could ship Konerko out of town and sign free-agent catcher Bill Dickey to platoon with Olivo. That would leave center field as the only large hole, which could be patched up nicely by Ty Cobb, who I hear is not as much of a clubhouse cancer as he used to be.

Cobb
Lajoie
Thomas
Foxx
Ordonez
Lee
Crede
Valentin
Dickey/Olivio

Who's going to beat us?

TornLabrum
11-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by doogiec

Lajoie's nickname was (of course) Larry. Imagine the reaction that would have come from the fans in the other AL cities had they nicknamed the club the Cleveland Larrys!

MarqSox
11-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Cobb
Lajoie
Thomas
Foxx
Ordonez
Lee
Crede
Valentin
Dickey/Olivio
I would pay big money to see a clubhouse throwdown between Thomas and Cobb. That would be awesome. :cool:

Deadguy
11-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I would pay big money to see a clubhouse throwdown between Thomas and Cobb. That would be awesome. :cool:

Having read Ty Cobb's biography, there is just no way the two of them could play on the same team, considering how racist Ty Cobb was:

http://wso.williams.edu/~jkossuth/cobb/race.htm

One day while walking in Detroit, he stepped in freshly poured asphalt and was yelled at by Fred Collins, a construction worker who happened to be black. Cobb responded by slapping Collins, knocking him to the ground, and continuing on his way. He was charged with assault and battery and found guilty, but received a suspended sentence. Collins then filed a civil suit, which Cobb settled out of court for $75.

An unfortunate incident in Cleveland's Hotel Euclid forced Cobb to go through Canada to avoid arrest during the 1909 World Series in Pittsburgh. Late one Friday night, Cobb got in an argument with the elevator operator and slapped him. The night manager, a black man named George Stansfield, came to aid the elevator operator and ended up in a shouting match with Cobb. Stansfield then hit Cobb with his nightstick, and the two rolled on the floor. Cobb drew his knife and slashed Stansfield, while Stansfield drew his pistol and hit Cobb again with the nightstick. Stansfield filed both criminal and civil suits against Cobb, but later dropped the criminal suit. But the case was still pending during the World Series, with an arrest warrant out for Cobb. Police waited for the Tiger train through Ohio en route to Pittsburgh for the World Series to arrest him, but Cobb was going through Canada. The civil suit was settled for $100 and court costs

These incidents pale in comparison with what happened at Hilltop Park in New York in May 1912, and what that episode triggered. A fan whom Cobb recognized as a regular heckler was sitting behind the Tigers' dugout verbally abusing Cobb. He and Cobb traded insults for a while, but Cobb wanted to avoid trouble, so he stayed in center field carriage park area during the second inning. In the third, he went by the New York dugout to look for the owner to ask to have the fan removed. When he got back to the Tigers' bench, he yelled something to the fan about his sister. The fan, Claude Lueker, responded to Cobb by calling him a "half-******." Sam Crawford asked Cobb if he would take that from the fan, at which point Cobb charged twelve rows into the stands and began to beat the fan vigorously.

There's also an interesting story about the batting race of 1910 between Ty Cobb and Nap Lajoie:

http://wso.williams.edu/~jkossuth/cobb/lajoie.htm

MarqSox
11-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Having read Ty Cobb's biography, there is just no way the two of them could play on the same team, considering how racist Ty Cobb was:
I realize ... Cobb is said to have been the second-most racist player in MLB history, behind the Cubs' Cap Anson.

That's why I would pay to see Cobb and Thomas in the same clubhouse ... Cobb would pick a fight and Thomas would beat him to a pulp. :)

jabrch
11-24-2003, 03:09 PM
There are some other moves we can make. Particularly focused around Crede. We all like his talent, but if we can get Nap on our team, why not trade Crede? We could then bring in The Fordham Flash (Frankie Frisch) to play 3B.

Too bad that LaJoie trade didn't go through...