PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Renovations--Details,Video,Renderings

southsidesoxfan1
11-20-2003, 10:04 AM
Looks as though HKS is ahead of the Sox in detailing the new round of renovations.
The site comes complete with new info, renderings, and even video. I got to say that getting stuck in the upper deck may not be as bad as it used be. Looks like they are going to add some more to the party deck in center also. And could some one explain to me whats going on in the picture with that little balcony that's hanging over the lower bowl? Must be some new ammenity for the luxury boxes.
Who knows, probably some champagne toasting area. Anyhow, my only complaint is that they didn't get rid of the upper level of luxury boxes and extend the upper deck down some more. The roof looks pretty good though. But check it out at this link: http://www.hksinc.com/2002/main.htm
Then click on the white sox emblem and enjoy!

Jjav829
11-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by southsidesoxfan1
Looks as though HKS is ahead of the Sox in detailing the new round of renovations.
The site comes complete with new info, renderings, and even video. I got to say that getting stuck in the upper deck may not be as bad as it used be. Looks like they are going to add some more to the party deck in center also. And could some one explain to me whats going on in the picture with that little balcony that's hanging over the lower bowl? Must be some new ammenity for the luxury boxes.
Who knows, probably some champagne toasting area. Anyhow, my only complaint is that they didn't get rid of the upper level of luxury boxes and extend the upper deck down some more. The roof looks pretty good though. But check it out at this link: http://www.hksinc.com/2002/main.htm

Welcome Aboard! :D:

Thanks for posting the link. It's looks nice. The videos are a nice addition.

anewman35
11-20-2003, 10:21 AM
Aww, no green seats! :whiner:

CubKilla
11-20-2003, 10:22 AM
Now if JR will pony up some cash to field a team worthy of those renovations.....

How long before we see an article from Moronotti about the poles visible on the upperdeck to support the new roof?

:moron

"The only redeeming quality of the "ballmall" was that there was not a seat in the house that had an obstructed view. Now..... with the new round of USCF destruction, poles will obstruct the view of hundreds of thousands of fans unlucky enough to have to sit in a renovated, but still incredibly steep, upperdeck.

ewokpelts
11-20-2003, 10:29 AM
did anyone notice that the video of the upper deck was of the pre renovation upper deck?

Jjav829
11-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
did anyone notice that the video of the upper deck was of the pre renovation upper deck?

Did you watch the whole thing? First it scans across the upper deck of what it used to look like. Then once it reaches the end it scans back the other way showing what the new one will look like. Same for both videos. They show before and after.

poorme
11-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts

you have to watch the whole video to see the change.

Hangar18
11-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Cool, good job SouthsideSoxFan finding the Link

soxnut
11-20-2003, 10:47 AM
THANKS FOR POSTING :smile:

anewman35
11-20-2003, 10:49 AM
If you compare the new pictures to the ones that were posted last year (posted here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25921), you'll see the new roof is pretty much identical to what they were planning then. Does that mean the design for the home run porch and (hopefully this still happens) the left field building will be the same? We'll find out in a year, I guess...

miker
11-20-2003, 10:50 AM
This looks great...kind of makes you wonder why they didn't do it "right" the first time.

Now if we can get a championship team in place...

hold2dibber
11-20-2003, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info and welcome.

The only little balcony overhanging the lower bowl that I could see is the current club level seats. Did I miss something?

Rocky Soprano
11-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Wow, it looks great!

Thanks for the link and welcome!

CubKilla
11-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

The only little balcony overhanging the lower bowl that I could see is the current club level seats. Did I miss something?

I didn't see it either. I think sssoxfan1 may have been referring to one of the drawings that appears to be a "fan deck" type area directly behind homeplate..... at least that is where the area appears to be.

I did hear that the Terrace Suites were going to be outfitted with a balcony but either there isn't a pic of it on the site or I glanced over it.

SaltyPretzel
11-20-2003, 11:05 AM
I think that the area is in the lower leftfield corner where the skyboxes were never finished.

GregoryEtc
11-20-2003, 11:14 AM

The site says the balconies will be for the 200 level suites. Those are BELOW the club level.

ewokpelts
11-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by poorme

you have to watch the whole video to see the change.
yeah...blame my crappy comp for that

Originally posted by CubKilla

I didn't see it either. I think sssoxfan1 may have been referring to one of the drawings that appears to be a "fan deck" type area directly behind homeplate..... at least that is where the area appears to be.

I did hear that the Terrace Suites were going to be outfitted with a balcony but either there isn't a pic of it on the site or I glanced over it.

there's a pic of the lower terrace box...i've sat there in 99..pretty sweet area...better with a balcony

Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
I think that the area is in the lower leftfield corner where the skyboxes were never finished.

the terrace boxes were always there.....there's amisconception that theterrace boxes were unused skyboxes....WRONG....look at some 1991 ere promo materials...they cleary state the avaialbility of terrace boxes....

Gene

southsidesoxfan1
11-20-2003, 11:29 AM
The balcony I was refering to was in the renderings section. It was the second to last picture. I think I figured out that it must be a balcony along the terrace suites. Not a bad idea, it will be quite a nice party area. :gulp: Attached picture gives you an idea of the location.

nasox
11-20-2003, 11:40 AM

Its outdoor seating for the lower level seats. In the southtown article about the rennovations, this was mentioned as being done this season.

Mammoo
11-20-2003, 12:58 PM
There's no doubt about it, it's a much better look! :smile:

Stoky44
11-20-2003, 01:06 PM
I have noticed 2 things about the pictures on the website:

1. Is the outside of the park now going to be white instead of that pinkish color it is now?

2. Where is the new upper deck in rf?

I think that the idea of having the park white washed on the outsided will make it look more like the opld park. My only concern is that they keep it up and don't let it go unmaitained so it looks like crap in a few years.

joepoe
11-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44

1. Is the outside of the park now going to be white instead of that pinkish color it is now?

I think that the idea of having the park white washed on the outsided will make it look more like the opld park. My only concern is that they keep it up and don't let it go unmaitained so it looks like crap in a few years.

I'd rather they stained the concrete outside a brick red. I always hated the whitewash on old Comisk

Foulke You
11-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44

1. Not sure if that is going to be the color or if they just made it white in the rendered shots to highlight the renovated areas.

2. I think these shots are showing the 2004 renovations only. The upper deck in RF will be part of the 2005 phase of renovations.

rcescato
11-20-2003, 01:33 PM
the link did not work for me. All I got was last years pix.

nut_stock
11-20-2003, 01:52 PM
I'd like to see the Sox add flags for all the american league cities on top of the new upperdeck roof

dickallen15
11-20-2003, 02:14 PM
I wonder if the new roof will affect the wind currents.

Frank the Tank
11-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Does anybody else notice the supports being built for the Upper Deck Concourse. Given the old Upper Deck didn't need Concouse supports, are they being put there just for show?

Foulke You
11-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I'd like to see the Sox add flags for all the american league cities on top of the new upperdeck roof

I love this idea. I think lots of flags look great on a ballpark. Old Comiskey had them as well as a lot of other parks. It is an inexpensive way of sprucing up the park.

Another inexpensive idea that is way overdue is by putting the damn retired numbers up on the outfield wall or outfield gridwork above the left field billboards and scoreboard. It isn't hard White Sox management! You get a big piece of wood and have a baseball painted on it, you put the number nice and big in the middle of the baseball (#2 for example) and then above the number you put in a nice copperplate like font with the name (FOX) nice and big so everyone can see it.

These two ideas are the cheapest kind of ballpark improvements they could do. I'm surprised our "fiscally responsible" ownership hasn't thought of it yet.

MisterB
11-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Does anybody else notice the supports being built for the Upper Deck Concourse. Given the old Upper Deck didn't need Concouse supports, are they being put there just for show?

No. If you check photos of the UD de-construction, notice the supports wind up beneath the seating area and the aisles fall inbetween the supports. The renderings clearly show the supports for the new roof falling in the middle of the aisles. The new steelwork would be to transfer the weight of the new roof to the existing concrete supports. I was wondering myself if the roof could be done with the posts in the aisles instead of the seats, and looks like they did it.

Brian26
11-20-2003, 04:22 PM
Anxiously awaiting the first person to complain that there are no arched windows in the upper deck renderings.

nasox
11-20-2003, 04:48 PM

I think it is because of the added weight of the roof but I would think the removal of part of the upper deck and the adding of a roof would equalize so Im not too sure.

Had anyone noticed/wondered what they will do with the concrete floor in the UD concourse? In the video it looked like something was going to be put on it. Any ideas/thoughts??

cwsox
11-20-2003, 05:03 PM
I really like what I see. I have seasons tickets for the UD in row 5 and I was concerned a roof would give me that craped indoor feel - but since the roof will not cover the first 8 rows, I still get that glorious feeling of being outside as well as a nearby roof for shelter from rain.

The enlcosing of the concourse will end its use as a wind tunnel but I believe we UDer will get some more shops and stuff like on the lower level (or better yet, the club level) with an enclosed concourse. It also will make it usable durng rain delays.

Losing the 6 thousand seats and its effect on team economics I have spoken of before but I think it means that after 2004, they'll build the right field porch to add back that seating.

joecrede
11-20-2003, 11:35 PM
"We are actually lighting that [wall] up at night so that when you are driving down the Dan Ryan or you are close to the ballpark, you can see it glowing," project architect Don Williams said. "I think it is going to be a signature item that is going to make it a significant part of the Chicago skyline."

Article in Trib (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031120soxmain,1,7611664.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) also says seats might be painted green in the next phase.

Blueprint1
11-21-2003, 12:16 AM
does that mean no HR porch in rightfield

Frank the Tank
11-21-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Anxiously awaiting the first person to complain that there are no arched windows in the upper deck renderings.

How come there are no arched windows in the upper deck renderings! :whiner:

hose
11-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
I wonder if the new roof will affect the wind currents.

I also thought of that when I read about the upper deck concourse being glassed in.

hose
11-21-2003, 07:14 AM

Great post .

You hit a home run in your first at bat, welcome aboard :cool:

GoSox2K3
11-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
Article in Trib (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031120soxmain,1,7611664.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) also says seats might be painted green in the next phase.

This is the quote from the Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-whitesox21.html) article:

"As for future improvements to U.S. Cellular Field, the Sox are discussing everything from green seats -- a staple at old ballparks -- to a new exterior color scheme, Savarise said."

I doubt that green seats and a HR porch are mutually exclusive. Maybe they're planning for both in 2005.

GoSox2K3
11-21-2003, 08:12 AM
And some good quotes from the Daily Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x21-ard1.htm) :

"By Opening Day 2005 there could be a scaled-down version of the 2,000-seat home run porch the Sox were thinking about building over the right field stands, and there have been discussions about changing to green seats, a la old Comiskey, or otherwise altering the color palette of U.S. Cellular."

" "I think, when we unroll the next phase you're going to see some really dynamic, interactive-type pieces," Savarise said. In other words, the Sox are going to take their last $13 million from U.S. Cellular and spend it on stuff for kids to do instead of watch baseball."

And here's a good quote:
"Let's let general manager Ken Williams have the money. Maybe with an extra $13 million to spend on players, he could keep the kids interested in the action on the field."

anewman35
11-21-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
And some good quotes from the Daily Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x21-ard1.htm) :

" "I think, when we unroll the next phase you're going to see some really dynamic, interactive-type pieces," Savarise said. In other words, the Sox are going to take their last $13 million from U.S. Cellular and spend it on stuff for kids to do instead of watch baseball."

And here's a good quote:
"Let's let general manager Ken Williams have the money. Maybe with an extra $13 million to spend on players, he could keep the kids interested in the action on the field."

That article is a column, though, not a news story. If that is that guy's opinion, fine, but he doesn't actually know anything about how the buisness deal is set up or anything.

GoSox2K3
11-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
That article is a column, though, not a news story. If that is that guy's opinion, fine, but he doesn't actually know anything about how the buisness deal is set up or anything.

That last bit is more wishful thinking that the Sox could spend a little more on payroll to keep the team competitive. That's how I read that part of the article. In reality, it's well known that the naming rights money is earmarked solely for stadium renovations.

I posted the Southtown quotes mostly for the other items about the possible 2005 projects which I would guess are based on what team officials have told him they are considering as opposed to the writer's opinion of what might happen with the renovations.

Procol Harum
11-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Gotta like the rennovations, overall. The new glassed-in area is a nice touch and the whole concept of slicing off some of those upper tier seats was much needed (again--didn't JR tell us that there was no problem with the upper deck?).

One little discomfiting thing I noticed--did the new look for the roof and all its attendant girders remind anyone of a certain ballpark at Clark & Addison? Given the apperance of plant flora in the center field batters' eye is this all an example of Reinsdorf, the marketing genius, figuring that nobody is going to come to the South Side unless they can cop a faux Wrigley look?

anewman35
11-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
One little discomfiting thing I noticed--did the new look for the roof and all its attendant girders remind anyone of a certain ballpark at Clark & Addison?

Well, yes, it does a little. But, every old ballpark pretty much looked like that - if they're going for the old fashioned roof, they don't have much of a choice.

jortafan
11-21-2003, 09:32 AM
One little discomfiting thing I noticed--did the new look for the roof and all its attendant girders remind anyone of a certain ballpark at Clark & Addison? Given the apperance of plant flora in the center field batters' eye is this all an example of Reinsdorf, the marketing genius, figuring that nobody is going to come to the South Side unless they can cop a faux Wrigley look?

It also reminded me of the roof and supporting girders that existed in the ballpark on the northeast corner of 35th and Shields, bore a resemblance to Ebbets Field, and just about every other ballpark from that era. Let's not give the Cubs more credit than they deserve.

Procol Harum
11-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
It also reminded me of the roof and supporting girders that existed in the ballpark on the northeast corner of 35th and Shields, bore a resemblance to Ebbets Field, and just about every other ballpark from that era. Let's not give the Cubs more credit than they deserve.

Granted it was the standard engineering back yonder. Hope you're right.

chisoxjk
11-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Also from this morning's Trib:

"We are actually lighting that [wall] up at night so that when you are driving down the Dan Ryan or you are close to the ballpark, you can see it glowing," project architect Don Williams said. "I think it is going to be a signature item that is going to make it a significant part of the Chicago skyline"

I think this is going to look awesome. They do this with Raven's stadium in Baltimore and it makes a big difference, especially considering it is next door to Camden, and could look out of place.

soxnut
11-21-2003, 11:19 AM
I am impressed with the changes that are going to be made. I think it will make the park more intimate. And for me, sitting in the upper deck will be more comfortable. I always felt like I was floating every time my eyes looked upward. I guess other people felt the same way. I wouldn't feel that way when I sat under the roof in the last few rows, but the seats were really up there.

I see one of the articles mentioned that the height of USCF will now be lower than half of the new ballparks. That's great news. I really hope that our park gets better reviews nationwide. I was so tired of the general perception of our ballpark. I can't wait for the season to begin. Hopefully we'll have a good team on the field as well. :smile:

Frank the Tank
11-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
[/I]

I really hope the last $13 isn't spent on kids. What are they going to do, put Playstations in the concourse? I don't know about anyone else, but when I was a kid the big fun was watching your MLB heroes playing the game. "Stuff for kids to do instead of baseball". That quote really bothers me.

anewman35
11-21-2003, 02:15 PM
I really hope the last $13 isn't spent on kids. What are they going to do, put Playstations in the concourse? I don't know about anyone else, but when I was a kid the big fun was watching your MLB heroes playing the game. "Stuff for kids to do instead of baseball". That quote really bothers me.

Well, again, be sure to realize that that quote is just that writer's opinion, not an official White Sox statement. Anyway, what they've talked about doing was putting an expanded Fundamentals thing (and possibly a restaraunt) behind left field. I'm not entirely sure what the point is, but the more selling points the park has, the better.

onenine19
11-21-2003, 02:56 PM
One little discomfiting thing I noticed--did the new look for the roof and all its attendant girders remind anyone of a certain ballpark at Clark & Addison? Given the apperance of plant flora in the center field batters' eye is this all an example of Reinsdorf, the marketing genius, figuring that nobody is going to come to the South Side unless they can cop a faux Wrigley look? [/B]

i don't think the renderings of the new roof look so much like wrigley instead i feel the new roof has a ballpark at arlington look. check this link out.
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/texas/texas.htm
if the sox could add a homerun porch(LF not RF) like texas has and with the new upperdeck i think the sox have a top 10 major league park.

maurice
11-21-2003, 03:02 PM
One little discomfiting thing I noticed--did the new look for the roof and all its attendant girders remind anyone of a certain ballpark at Clark & Addison?

IIRC, it was intended to mimic Comiskey's roofline. The similarity is understandable, since Wrigley and Comiskey had the same architect.

southsidesoxfan1
11-21-2003, 03:14 PM
We can all agree that the upper deck has been a huge reason why the sox don't draw as many people as they should. That said, with the new renovations, lets hope that the negative perception of hiking up there to watch a game changes. If so, the team will have an increase in attendance and revenue. Although, as long as the Sox continue to alienate their fan base by constantly going cheap when it comes to putting the team together, even when all the peices are seemily together for a world series run, then they could tear down the park and build a new retro-stadium and the place still wouldn't be filled. I think as Sox fans we really don't give a damn about all the new bells and whistles that come with these renovations, all we want is a world series contender out there period. I just can't stand the BS about Kenny saying they can't spend a dollar if they only got a quarter. Ticket prices have gone up 1,000 percent since the new park opened up. It would be nice if the budget went up 1,000percent also. If that was the case, then we would have hired a real manager like Cito, we would keep Maggs, give Colon, Flash, Everett, and Robbie the money they want. And we would be riding into the World Series in 2004. The division is ours for the taking with Minnesota dismantling, but unfortunately the only thing I can get myself to look forward to is the new roof. :angry:

GregoryEtc
11-21-2003, 03:27 PM

How do you figure? Our roof will be way more ornamental and theirs is just some sheetmetal on rafters.

With apolgies I post this pic so you can see:

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/wrigley/wrigley2.jpg

GoSox2K3
11-21-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by GregoryEtc
How do you figure? Our roof will be way more ornamental and theirs is just some sheetmetal on rafters.
People are going to complain no matter what the Sox do. First the media ripped on the park for not being retro enough. Now that they are adding some nice touches we'll hear "the roof looks like Wrigley", "the center field looks like Wrigley", "the green seats are copied from Wrigley", etc. We may as well just enjoy the great changes they have made to the park and not worry about the BS we'll hear from the press.

[i]With apolgies I post this pic so you can see:

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/wrigley/wrigley2.jpg [/B]
Oh, that stadium is so beautiful. Looking at this picture makes me weep!
Yeah, what a wonderful sheetmetal roof. You also gotta love that dingy chainlink fence that runs along the rear perimeter of the stadium. After looking at this picture, I can close my eyes, take a deep breath and imagine that I'm smelling those urinal fumes. What a shrine!

GregoryEtc
11-21-2003, 07:25 PM
My first game there I sat directly behind homeplate almost all the way back on the lower deck.

Those were the WORST seats I've ever sat in at a professional baseball game. You can't see ANYTHING because you are so far under the overhang of the upper deck. You can see in that picture that those seats are basically in total darkness too. DURING THE DAY!

We did see maddox pitch 10 innings of shutout ball that day though..... Right before they ran him out of town.

chisox06
11-22-2003, 01:30 AM
I dont think anyone has mentioned the 2 tier fan deck! Thats another great change, always liked going up their but you had to get their early or try to squeeze in to get a shot of the field. The second deck is going to make that fan deck a much more popular spot to check out the game. Also, usually Im not a fan of corporate branding but I like the US CELLULAR FIELD imprinted on the top of the roof (from that aerial view), not really sure why, I just do, it'll cool if we get shots from a blimp overhead (that is if the sox every play in another game that warrants a blimp).

ExSoxFan
11-22-2003, 08:15 AM
I like most of what I see, but a couple of minor complaints - and I will still reserve judgment until I actually see it in person.

1. I don't like the idea of the view from any seats being obstructed, although I also liked the aerial view of the roof ( and I have NO problem with the name anymore at all )

2. The people who sit in the back of the lower section of the HR Porch are gonna have kind of a crappy view, aren't they? ( If it ends up looking like the one in Arlington, anyway ) It just doesn't look like that great of a place to sit unless you're up top.

That said, I really love what they've done so far to USCF, so I'll trust their judgment on this.

TornLabrum
11-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ExSoxFan
I like most of what I see, but a couple of minor complaints - and I will still reserve judgment until I actually see it in person.

1. I don't like the idea of the view from any seats being obstructed, although I also liked the aerial view of the roof ( and I have NO problem with the name anymore at all )

2. The people who sit in the back of the lower section of the HR Porch are gonna have kind of a crappy view, aren't they? ( If it ends up looking like the one in Arlington, anyway ) It just doesn't look like that great of a place to sit unless you're up top.

That said, I really love what they've done so far to USCF, so I'll trust their judgment on this.

IF a so-called home-run porch is built, it won't be completed until the 2005 season. The last press release from the Sox indicated that that round of renovations should be less costly than the current round, so no one, except perhaps the Sox, the ISFA, and the architects know for sure what's coming.

RedPinStripes
11-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
IF a so-called home-run porch is built, it won't be completed until the 2005 season. The last press release from the Sox indicated that that round of renovations should be less costly than the current round, so no one, except perhaps the Sox, the ISFA, and the architects know for sure what's coming.

I get a feeling the hr porch will be there opening day. I cant picture Jerry throwing away 8,000 seats for a season especially. if people start going to games beside the sox/cubs games.

anewman35
11-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I get a feeling the hr porch will be there opening day. I cant picture Jerry throwing away 8,000 seats for a season especially. if people start going to games beside the sox/cubs games.

Opening day 2004? No chance. If they were going to do it, why wouldn't they have mentioned it along with the upper deck info?

TornLabrum
11-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Opening day 2004? No chance. If they were going to do it, why wouldn't they have mentioned it along with the upper deck info?

The Sox announced four renovations for 2004: the roof with the cutting off of the top 8 rows of the UD, the enclosure of the UD councourse, the patio or whatever you want to call it for the lower tier of skyboxes, and the tiering of the fan deck in CF. That's all for this year, folks!

CubKilla
11-22-2003, 12:33 PM
The '04 Offseason is supposed to be a RF HR porch and a new Grand Entrance on 35th and Wentworth. Last I heard.....

Frank the Tank
11-22-2003, 01:05 PM
I have a hard time visually picturing this fan deck. I just don't know how it is going to be built without looking silly from the concourse. I don't know if the $13 Million left will be enough to build the home run landing in phase 5. Why can't the sox release tentative plans for phase 5 now instead of making people guess?

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-22-2003, 01:38 PM
that picture of the flag at the ASG is amazing on the HKS site. It'd make a great wallpaper

BeerHandle
12-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Anyone take any new photos?