PDA

View Full Version : Why I never will understand this organization

chisoxt
11-20-2003, 06:15 AM
True, it's very early in the hot-stove season, and while the Sox, with the departures of Gordon and Colon, have huge holes to fill, there will still be a lot of free agents looking for work.

But the thing that bothers me the most now is that our farm system seems to be very thin in a lot of areas. This leads me to wonder why an organization like the Sox with limited means doesn't follow the model of the Oakland A's or the Montreal Expos, and worry more about the developmental side of the organization. Then, when you lose your higher priced players, you may have suitable replacements,

It's one thing to be cheap about the player payroll. But for Godsakes, JR, can you please dispense with your hiring of gimmicks and side-show acts for key management positions, and instead, build a more solid self-sustaining organization??

ewokpelts
11-20-2003, 10:34 AM
so you want the kids can play part duex?

The A's and Expos dont have a better farm system because they want to...it's because they have to. Selig only gives Omar Minaya(who btw, if he becomes avaialble..I'd fire kenny in a heartbeat for him) 10 bukcs for total player payroll, and Billy Beane dosent have much more to work with. The Sox, being in a larger market and higher revenue, deserve a good farm system AND strong mlb player roster. You can have both.
Gene

Palehose13
11-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Didn't we have one of the best farm systems not too long ago? what happened and where are those players now?

I don't know about anyone else, but I want a championship NOW and am fine with "renting" players to do it.

kittle42
11-20-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Didn't we have one of the best farm systems not too long ago? what happened and where are those players now?

They're at the doctor's office with various arm maladies.