PDA

View Full Version : Sosa thinks Pujols was MVP

Jerry_Manuel
11-19-2003, 11:31 PM
I just found this to be funny.

Pujols 'stood out,' Sosa says (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1666108)

Jerko
11-19-2003, 11:34 PM
NOW I am glad Bonds won it.

CubKilla
11-20-2003, 12:29 AM
Soso's still holding that grudge from a few ST's ago.

GoSox2K3
11-20-2003, 11:09 AM
I heard that the BWAA was going to let Sosa directly choose the MVP beginning next year.

fledgedrallycap
11-20-2003, 11:15 AM
What I thought was ridiculous: MLB.com had the following people pictured on the Header before they announced the NL MVP as candidates:

Poulos
Bonds
Thomme
Sheffield
and
Sosa?!?!

An embarrassment and slap in the face to the other's involved

CubKilla
11-20-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
What I thought was ridiculous: MLB.com had the following people pictured on the Header before they announced the NL MVP as candidates:

Poulos
Bonds
Thomme
Sheffield
and
Sosa?!?!

An embarrassment and slap in the face to the other's involved

For arguments sake, if Corky would have won the MVP, would that have been the first time an MVP was busted for cheating during the same season? MLB should be ashamed of themselves for lumping a cheater in with Pujols, Bonds, Thome, and Sheffield.

thecell
11-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Who cares what Sosa thinks? This is the same guy who thinks that it's OK to cheat by using steroids and cork...to beat his wife with a rum bottle...and so on. I'd rather hear what what a pile of dog **** has to think than Sosa.

TDog
11-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by thecell
Who cares what Sosa thinks? ...

He is such an important figure in the world today. The Tribune should get a comment from Sr. Sosa on every news story. He's not a Chicagoan, or even an American. He can barely speak English. Nonetheless, the Tribune should start calling him for comment on every story because we need to know how Sr. Sosa feels about the National League MVP voting, the new White Sox manager and garbage collection in Chicago. Being as important as he is, and a busy body builder and all, he will not always be available. Stories for which he cannot be reached should end with "Sammy Sosa could not be reached for comment."

washington
11-20-2003, 12:34 PM
You'd think Sosa would be slow to criticize, given that he still has the MVP award that Mark McGwire earned in 1998 and everything.

chuckn98229
11-20-2003, 01:41 PM
If I remember correctly, the justification for not giving the MVP to McGuire (and giving it to shammy) was that the Cardinals didn't make the playoffs and the flubbies did. Gee, I guess that is why A-Rod got it this year!

Foulke You
11-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by chuckn98229
If I remember correctly, the justification for not giving the MVP to McGuire (and giving it to shammy) was that the Cardinals didn't make the playoffs and the flubbies did. Gee, I guess that is why A-Rod got it this year! \

It seems the NL MVP was given to Bonds because his team made the playoffs. Not that I want to agree with Sam-it's all about-me Sosa but Pujols did have better numbers than Bonds. If the roles are reversed and the Cards make the playoffs and the Giants don't, I think Pujols wins it hands down.

Champ Summers
11-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Pujols was not even close to being as valuable as Bonds, the numbers reflect that, the Won-Loss records reflect that, and just to cement the argument, 28 of 32 baseball writers reflected that...I don't think there has ever been more evidence to support this...Pujols has been awesome the last 3 years, perhaps the best start to any career ever, but while Senor Bonds continues to hit like a God, he just can't win...Bonds is more valuable both statistically, and in the effect on his team, and in reaching the playoffs...

cwsox
11-20-2003, 05:58 PM
po po po baby sam-me

wants to be the transcendant superstar of all baseball and he will always be a footnote and nothing more when the Bonds era is spoken of by future gernations.

So of course he'll push Pujols. The more awards heaped on Bonds, the more sam-me is buried in his deserving spot as star of all major league baseball.

chuckn98229
11-20-2003, 06:04 PM
how can you be so hateful to poor sammy - after all, he did save baseball - just ask him if you don't beleive me

Kroozah
11-20-2003, 09:23 PM
We all know Soso is a complete moron, nothing but garbage comes out of his mouth, he is a lier and a cheat.

One thing the stats do not show...

Which player gets up to bat and changes the whole game, or potentially change the game... thats where all those walks he gets comes into play..

Remember Colon struck him out three times and then whacked that home run in the 9th to win the game or potentially win the game....

When your down a few runs, your always looking to see how many more batters are left till he is up.

Thats MVP

RKMeibalane
11-20-2003, 11:02 PM
Is anyone else besides me irritated by the fact that every time something happens in baseball, Sosa feels compelled to offer his "two cents?" It's extremely annoying. I don't what it is about that man, but it seems as though his ego is so huge that he can't keep his mouth shut, even when no one wants listen to him.

MarkEdward
11-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Is anyone else besides me irritated by the fact that every time something happens in baseball, Sosa feels compelled to offer his "two cents?" It's extremely annoying. I don't what it is about that man, but it seems as though his ego is so huge that he can't keep his mouth shut, even when no one wants listen to him.

To be fair, it's not like Sosa himself called a press conference just to give his opinion of the MVP race. Reporters were in the Dominican Republic to celebrate Sosa's accomplishment as becoming the first Hispanic player to hit 500 home runs. Some reporter probably nonchalantly asked him the question, Sammy gave a response, and sports editors thought it was worthy of a mention.

So if you're going to be annoyed by someone, blame it on either the reporter asking the question or the editors at ESPN.

FarWestChicago
11-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
So if you're going to be annoyed by someone, blame it on either the reporter asking the question or the editors at ESPN. Works for me. More evidence of why ESPN the Tabloid is absolute crap.

cwsox
11-20-2003, 11:34 PM
sam-me can't master the polite and political way of saying, " Hey, Bonds is the man! But Pujols had a good year too!"

the quesyion asked, sam-me anwers that way, and that is that.

but samme has to say more. Fault: not to reporters doing their job Fauly: sam-me and his corkbrain and mouth swing again

RKMeibalane
11-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
To be fair, it's not like Sosa himself called a press conference just to give his opinion of the MVP race. Reporters were in the Dominican Republic to celebrate Sosa's accomplishment as becoming the first Hispanic player to hit 500 home runs. Some reporter probably nonchalantly asked him the question, Sammy gave a response, and sports editors thought it was worthy of a mention.

So if you're going to be annoyed by someone, blame it on either the reporter asking the question or the editors at ESPN.

I understand your point, but all Sosa has to say when someone asks him a question is "no comment."

doublem23
11-21-2003, 10:31 AM
I find this ironic because in 1998 when Sosa beat out McGwire (who clearly had the better year) because the Cubs squeaked into the postseason, yet this was the same x-factor that clearly made Bonds an MVP and Pujols not.