PDA

View Full Version : Sox end talks with FLASH

MHOUSE
11-19-2003, 10:02 PM
According to Dan Roan on the WGN News just now, the Sox have broken off contract talks with Flash Gordon. He said the difference in money was about $2 million dollars. Flash had a solid season for us, but this is somewhat of a relief to me that KW won't pay more money than he's worth or wait for the injury bug to finally bite. Roan then said "that means Damaso Marte will move up and get ready for a full season of Bill Koch." I'm not exactly sure what this means? Which one will be closer? Is the Mets thing not going to happen? What's up with the bullpen?

Jerry_Manuel
11-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Peter Gammons reported the Mets deal wouldn't happen because of money.

If Koch is still on the team I see him getting a few chances early and if he falters, Marte takes the job for good.

nasox
11-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Damn them!

CubKilla
11-19-2003, 11:34 PM
If Koch is still on the team I see him getting a few chances early and if he falters, Marte takes the job for good.

That scenario leaves us without a set-up man. Then again, from all indications, we are less one SP, one 2nd basemen, one everyday, dependable CF, maybe one LF or RF, and one closer.

Things are looking up!

chisox06
11-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
That scenario leaves us without a set-up man. Then again, from all indications, we are less one SP, one 2nd basemen, one everyday, dependable CF, maybe one LF or RF, and one closer.

Things are looking up!

yup, this is lookin ugly, real ugly.

SoxxoS
11-20-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
yup, this is lookin ugly, real ugly.

If things were so great last year we would have made the playoffs.

Gumshoe
11-20-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
According to Dan Roan on the WGN News just now, the Sox have broken off contract talks with Flash Gordon. He said the difference in money was about $2 million dollars. Flash had a solid season for us, but this is somewhat of a relief to me that KW won't pay more money than he's worth or wait for the injury bug to finally bite. Roan then said "that means Damaso Marte will move up and get ready for a full season of Bill Koch." I'm not exactly sure what this means? Which one will be closer? Is the Mets thing not going to happen? What's up with the bullpen?

good riddance. Flash wasn't that good in the first place. He's good, but he's worth 2 MIL MAXIMUM

please ... keep referring to yourself in the 3rd person, Flash ... just do it elsewhere

Gumshoe

ps it's all about Marte, anyway

gosox41
11-20-2003, 07:19 AM

You mean Billy Koch if pretty much untradeable??? I thought for sure the Sox would be able to package him and Konerko for A-Rod and still get cash bach from the Rangers.

Bob

Irishsox1
11-20-2003, 07:21 AM
All year I was waiting for Flash's right arm to come flying off during a game. Something like his arm flys up in the air and lands in the stands, and then the Sox trainer comes out with a towel and takes Flash away for the rest of the year. So in a way I was really, really surprised that he made it through the regular season.

Rocky Soprano
11-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Flash saved 11 games and was finally healthy and now he thinks he is worth 5 MM?

I agree, 2 MM at the most.

lowesox
11-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Let's get Hawkins.

Foulke You
11-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Let's get Hawkins.

Latroy is arguably the best reliever out there right now which is precisely why the Sox won't get him. Too much money for our "strained" budget.

duke of dorwood
11-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Enter Danny Wrong and sign in , please