PDA

View Full Version : Different fans same feelings

Paulwny
11-19-2003, 06:40 PM
I was watching/listening to the Mike and The Mad Dog Show, WFAN/ YES NET. I thought this was really funny. The vast majority of Met fans who were calling were complaining that met owner Fred Wilpon was cheap for not trying to acquire A-Rod. They felt that Wilpon's ~ $90 mil payroll should be increased to $120 mil. Many fans also stated they would attend fewer games unless the mets acquire A-Rod or increased payroll.

Also mentioned by the hosts of the show was the following rumor of yankee offers to FA's.
Colon--- $38 mil/3 yrs
Pettite --- $54 mil/ 4 yrs
Sheffield--- $12 mil/ year, number of years not mentioned.

jordan23ventura
11-19-2003, 06:48 PM
$90mil and they still refused to give up cash in the proposed koch-cedeno trade? fine keep your s***ty CFer we never wanted him anyway!!

jordan23ventura
11-19-2003, 06:52 PM
BTW sheffield is done. only "performance enhancing" steriods allow a man to hit his prime at 38.

and oh yeah sheffie - they make your balls shrink, so you might need to get on the phone with palmeiro about what he's been advertising.

(one more thing - didn't nolan ryan used to endorse hemroid creme a while back? i found that funny.)

Foulke You
11-19-2003, 07:18 PM
90 million? My heart bleeds for the poor Mets fans. I'd be tickled pink of Reinsdorf increased his payroll to $65 million and allowed us to keep our good players like Maggs.

CubKilla
11-20-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
90 million? My heart bleeds for the poor Mets fans. I'd be tickled pink of Reinsdorf increased his payroll to $65 million and allowed us to keep our good players like Maggs.

I'd kill for the White Sox to have a $90 million payroll this season.

kittle42
11-20-2003, 10:35 AM
This makes me wonder whether the Sox would keep the same low payroll if the Cubs, like the Yankees, spent well over $100 million a year.

CubKilla
11-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
This makes me wonder whether the Sox would keep the same low payroll if the Cubs, like the Yankees, spent well over $100 million a year.

I think that JR has made it incredibly clear to Sox fans that he doesn't care what the Cubs do. JR thinks fireworks, bobbleheads, and stadium renovations will draw the casual fans back to USCF..... not a winning team. JR fails to realize that only a yearly playoff contender will bring casual baseball fans back to the Southside.

Twin Killing
11-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Actually I kind of feel for Mets fans a little bit. I assume their lot is much like ours with the press and everyone giving them second billing to the Yanks in NY. However, they have it worse. Imagine how insufferable it would be for us if the Cubs won as much as the Yankees do.

Sure would be nice for the Sox to have their payroll though.

kittle42
11-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Twin Killing
Actually I kind of feel for Mets fans a little bit. I assume their lot is much like ours with the press and everyone giving them second billing to the Yanks in NY. However, they have it worse. Imagine how insufferable it would be for us if the Cubs won as much as the Yankees do.

Sure would be nice for the Sox to have their payroll though.

Actually, the Mets get a lot more balanced coverage than you would think.

greenpeach
11-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Actually, the Mets get a lot more balanced coverage than you would think.

I agree with you. The coverage in New York is much more balanced for a couple of reasons. The first is that inspite of the NY Yankees, the city has always been a National League town dating back to the days of the New York Giants & Brooklyn Dodgers. Secondly, there's a media & fan backlash towards King George & his cronies. Reporters get tired of covering him & fans get tired of reading about him.

When the Mets get competitive again, they will draw close to the 3 million that the Yankees are currently drawing now.

doogiec
11-20-2003, 12:55 PM
I'd guess that there are fans of 29 teams that would like to see their teams payroll increase this year. Maybe even a few Yankee fans.