PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ken Brett

LuvSox
11-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Former Sox pitcher Ken Brett lost his battle with brain cancer on Tuesday. Linkage (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/baseball/mlb/11/19/bc.bbo.obit.kenbrett.ap/index.html)

Hangar18
11-19-2003, 05:47 PM
man, I didnt know he was sick. rip Ken. I remember he wore
#34 on the Sox

DrCrawdad
11-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Sorry to hear about Ken Brett passing away.

I seem to remember that at least a few times when Brett pitched for the Sox he also batted for himself and the Sox used the DH for another player. Is this correct?

As the attached stat from BaseballReference.com shows Brett did have 12 ABs in 1976 for the White Sox.

Hangar18
11-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Yeah...that was one of the QUIRKS of the Back-in-the-day White Sox. ON days he pitched, he would bat 9th, my Dad would always tell me how he was one of the Better hitting Pitchers in baseball.

washington
11-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Brett was an excellent hitter & one of my favorite players at the time. I remember his near-no-hitter against the Angles (I think, in 1976); Harry Caray went ballistic when the scorer gave the batter a hit instead of an error on a close play in the 8th or 9th inning.

IIRC, this makes the 3d member of the Kansas City 1981 team to die from brain cancer (Dan Quisenberry & mgr. Dick Howser being the other 2).

DrCrawdad
11-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by washington
Brett was an excellent hitter & one of my favorite players at the time. I remember his near-no-hitter against the Angles (I think, in 1976); Harry Caray went ballistic when the scorer gave the batter a hit instead of an error on a close play in the 8th or 9th inning...

Sounds as though Brett was robbed of a no-hitter.

Lip Man 1
11-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Jesus does this friggin' franchise EVER get any good news?

What a damn week!

I met Ken at Comiskey in 1976. Seemed like a nice guy.

and yes I remember staying awake in bed listening to that game from Anaheim.

About Ken he was acquired by Roland Hemond from the Yanks for Carlos May and outfielder Rich Coggins on May 18. Coggins was later traded for Wayne Nordhagen.

On May 26th he beat the Angels 1-0 in ten innings. Brett retired
the first 26 men in a row before Jerry Remy hit that ground ball to Orta. Remy took a half swing on the pitch. Orta played the ball terribly The official scorer that day was Don Merry of the Long Beach Independent Telegram. After the ruling was posted on the scoreboard the California crowd let out a long and sustained boo. (I'm listening to the audio even as I type this.) Brett stood on the mound with his hands on his hips shaking his head.

The Sox won the game on a hit by "Bucky" Dent.

Keep in mind that when baseball changed the rulings on no hitters in the early 90's, it's probable that even if Brett retired the first 27 in a row he might not have kept credit for the no hitter because the game went ten innings. Still a magnificent performance for one night.

Brett also was the Sox opening day starter in 1977 when the first official American League game outside the U.S. was played. He started in Toronto, a game the Sox lost 9-5. (I've got some video of that game as well...)

I've put in a call to Eric Soderholm and I'm hoping that he'll respond.

Lip

mike squires
11-19-2003, 07:37 PM
I just turned thirty so I missed the teams in the 70's. I was only 3 the night he pitched the near no-hitter. But, I went to a game in 97 and they put up one of those who am I baseball cards on the scoreboard. Half sloshed I stood up and yelled..."Ken Brett, it's Ken Brett..." Later I realized I really knew faces of baseball considering I was so young when that card was realeased. So, that is my Ken Brett memory.

DrCrawdad
11-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Sorry to hear about Ken Brett passing away.

I seem to remember that at least a few times when Brett pitched for the Sox he also batted for himself and the Sox used the DH for another player. Is this correct?

As the attached stat from BaseballReference.com shows Brett did have 12 ABs in 1976 for the White Sox.

In answer to my own question, Brett did bat for himself when he pitched for the Sox. He may have done it other times, but I found one reference to his batting while pitching. Brett did it on September 23, 1976 in front of a Comiskey crowd of 3,278. As the box score shows, Brett batted for himself but the Sox had no DH that day.

mike squires
11-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Hey Crawdad~Where are you finding the box score? I would love to look up some old games that I"ve been to. I shold go to the lib and check on the old newspapers they have on file but is there somewhere on the net I can find those?

DrCrawdad
11-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Hey Crawdad~Where are you finding the box score? I would love to look up some old games that I"ve been to. I shold go to the lib and check on the old newspapers they have on file but is there somewhere on the net I can find those?

Here it is...RetroSheet.org...FANTASTIC SITE! (http://www.retrosheet.org)

Lip Man 1
11-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Try this web site: (Hope the link works...)

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/index.html

Lip

TornLabrum
11-19-2003, 09:04 PM
Not too long ago I heard a great story about how some rookie writer wanted to interview George Brett. Ken came out, did the entire interview, and the poor sap never knew the difference.

RIP Ken.

davenicholson
11-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Try this web site: (Hope the link works...)

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/index.html

Lip
Holy Moly, is that a great site! Thanks to the Good Doctor and Lip Man!!! I started clicking around that near-glorious 1967 season, and came across the Rocky Colavito transaction. I'll never forget hearing about it while listening to the game on my parents' front steps. Man, I was one fired-up 10 year-old! In those days, I didn't concern myself that a player might be well past his prime by the time the Sox got him, all I knew was that Colavito was GOOD. Should have emphasized WAS!!! I didn't realize that, with the mind of a 10 year-old Sox fan, I could easily be GM of the Chicago Blackhawks in 2003! :o: Thanks again, guys!

Lip Man 1
11-19-2003, 11:30 PM
Hal:

Your remembering the WSI Interview with long time Royals announcer Denny Trease:

"Another time there was this Chicago reporter, I donít remember who he was but he requested an interview with George the next time we came to play the Sox. At that time Georgeís brother Ken Brett, was also on the team and they were almost identical twins. Before the interview they switched uniforms and it was Ken who went out to do the interview! The reporter never noticed it!"

Lip

TornLabrum
11-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hal:

Your remembering the WSI Interview with long time Royals announcer Denny Trease:

"Another time there was this Chicago reporter, I donít remember who he was but he requested an interview with George the next time we came to play the Sox. At that time Georgeís brother Ken Brett, was also on the team and they were almost identical twins. Before the interview they switched uniforms and it was Ken who went out to do the interview! The reporter never noticed it!"

Lip

I should have remembered it was from right here at WSI!

TDog
11-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
In answer to my own question, Brett did bat for himself when he pitched for the Sox. He may have done it other times, but I found one reference to his batting while pitching. Brett did it on September 23, 1976 in front of a Comiskey crowd of 3,278. As the box score shows, Brett batted for himself but the Sox had no DH that day.

Ken Brett went hitless in six at bats in games he started in 1976. He also hit for himself in a game in Boston, earlier in the season, I recall. I believe he lost both games. Lack of run support would have contributed to those losses, but the Sox lacked run support no matter who was pitching. Brett had one hit in six at bats as a pinch hitter that year. He didn't hit at all in 1977, when the Sox got plenty of run support.

People remember Ken Brett as being a good hitter, but he never showed it with the Sox. On the other hand, nobody remembers that Terry Forster had a .480 batting average for his years in a Sox uniform and had one hit in two at bats as a pinch hitter.

TommyJohn
11-20-2003, 11:55 AM
In regards to Ken Brett's near no-hitter against California. I
remember looking up the game on microfilm several years
ago and was surprised to learn that, contrary to what Rich
Lindberg wrote in "Who's on Third?" Brett did NOT retire the
first 26 Angels. He walked a batter in the 8th, but DID have
the no-hitter with two outs in the 9th. I went to retrosheet.
org just now to make sure I was correct. Sure enough, Brett
walked Leroy Stanton with two out in the 8th inning. I am a
total dummy with links, so I can't set up a link to the box score.
I just wanted to make sure I was right. A small point, but an
important one, I think.