PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez to Seattle

SoxFanDan
11-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Eliminate some of the opponent.

Foulke You
11-19-2003, 11:37 AM
(Sigh) The current plight of Sox fans. Sit and pray that the Royals and Twins owners out-cheap our cheapskate owner and then maybe we'll be the best in the AL Central by default!

:reinsy
"Very good, Foulke You, you have identified our blueprint to success!"

doublem23
11-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
(Sigh) The current plight of Sox fans. Sit and pray that the Royals and Twins owners out-cheap our cheapskate owner and then maybe we'll be the best in the AL Central by default!

:reinsy
"Very good, Foulke You, you have identified our blueprint to success!"

Given their recent history, I don't think that's much a stretch...

American League Central Baseball... Who can outcheap the other?

Can't you just see all five owners sitting in the skydeck of a sckyscraper (a la the Simpsons), each sipping a glass of brandy betting each other who can finish last?

CubKilla
11-19-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanDan
Eliminate some of the opponent.

Was he traded or is this wishful thinking?

Foulke You
11-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Was he traded or is this wishful thinking?

I believe Ibanez was a free agent and he is most likely going to sign with Seattle. Here is a link to the story:

Ibanez to the Mariners (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20031119&content_id=605699&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

maurice
11-19-2003, 12:41 PM
So much for a Maggs or CLee to Seattle trade . . . unless Winn is part of the deal. Hmmm.

BTW, if Ibanez signs (as reported) for $13 million over three years, how can Maggs be worth more than $13 million for only one year? I mean, he's clearly better than Ibanez, but he's not THREE TIMES better.

hold2dibber
11-19-2003, 01:19 PM
This would appear to signal the end of the Mike Cameron era in Seattle.

And if Ibanez is a $4.33 mm/year player, what does that make Cameron or Everett, I wonder.

bestkosher
11-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Raul is an upand coming palyer, who has speed, hits well and palys good defense, he is a hot commodity, so he might be overpaid a bit, but not much, i thought he would of beena perfect solution to our CF problems.

batmanZoSo
11-19-2003, 02:26 PM
h2d,

Well Ibanez is a better hitter than Cameron. The latter being far superior defensively. Cameron has name recognition working for him so he will get more but not that much more. He's like a 7 million dollar player if you ask me. I wouldn't pay him more than that. I think Ibanez might be even more valuable to Seattle because they have almost zero power in the outfield.

34 Inch Stick
11-19-2003, 02:35 PM
And Jose Valentin will make $5 million next year.

MisterB
11-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
Raul is an upand coming palyer, who has speed, hits well and palys good defense, he is a hot commodity, so he might be overpaid a bit, but not much, i thought he would of beena perfect solution to our CF problems.

Ibanez turns 32 next year, so he's not really 'up and coming'. He's no faster than, say, Carlos Lee. His defense is solid but not great. He's a corner OF/1B who's played 2 games in CF his entire career. He might have been considered a replacement for Konerko if he were traded, but his numbers in '03 were down from a very good '02 (.294, 24hr, 103rbi) and his production will probably steadily decrease as time goes on. No great loss there.

hold2dibber
11-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
h2d,

Well Ibanez is a better hitter than Cameron. The latter being far superior defensively. Cameron has name recognition working for him so he will get more but not that much more. He's like a 7 million dollar player if you ask me. I wouldn't pay him more than that. I think Ibanez might be even more valuable to Seattle because they have almost zero power in the outfield.

I'm not sure that I agree that Ibanez is a better hitter than Cameron. In 2003 (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?section1=null&statSet1=null&sortByStat=HR&statType=1&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2003&baseballScope=AL&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&sitSplit=&venueID=&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=O&box16=XXXX111904seaO&box17=XXXX116380kcaO&compare.x=26&compare.y=7) he was a little better, but he played at Kaufman (a hitter's park) whereas Cameron played at Safeco (a pitcher's park). They're about the same age and Cameron is much better defensively. If given the choice between the two, I'd take Cameron in a heart beat. But I'm guessing that the Mariners took Ibanez instead because: (a) either Suzuki or Winn can play a good CF; and (b) Cameron was probably asking for more than Ibanez.

I'm guessing Cameron will end up with a 3 year deal worth between $15 and $18 million.

StepsInSC
11-19-2003, 04:23 PM
The AL Central is going to officially be the suckiest division that ever sucked.

Wanne
11-19-2003, 04:38 PM
Heck I'd take Cameron back in a heartbeat...seams like he's hit 95 of his 131 homers against the Sox. I don't think he's going to get the $$$ he thinks he is either.

Foulke You
11-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
The AL Central is going to officially be the suckiest division that ever sucked.

I'm not so sure. The NL Central will feature a $30 million Brewers team that is sure to rival the Tigers in futility. Not to mention the completely stripped down Reds and Pirates teams from start to finish this year and not just a half season like last year. The NL Central could potentially have three 100 loss teams next year while the AL Central most likely will have one (Tigers) with the Indians most likely finishing with around 90 losses again.

So, while the AL Central will indeed suck, I believe the NL Central will still be the champs in the suckage department.

Viva Magglio
11-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Raúl Ibañez will not be able to terrorize us as much anymore.

Linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sea/news/sea_news.jsp?ymd=20031119&content_id=605755&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)

Oops! I thought this was not yet posted. Sorry!

whitesoxwilkes
11-19-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!
Raúl Ibañez will not be able to terrorize us as much anymore.

Linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sea/news/sea_news.jsp?ymd=20031119&content_id=605755&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)

Oops! I thought this was not yet posted. Sorry!

Viva, we know you posted it just so you could show off your correct usage of the tilde and accent mark (can't remember the name of it).

:)