PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel

dickallen15
11-19-2003, 08:59 AM
The dope is one of four finalists for the Reds managerial position. God help you if you are a Reds fan.

bestkosher
11-19-2003, 09:12 AM
this maybe a blessing in disguise, Jerry always got the whitesox up to play the FLUBS, maybe he could dothe same to the reds and actually rule them in the central.

MarqSox
11-19-2003, 09:23 AM
I think Jerry is a good fit for the Reds. He was always at his best when managing young teams his best years were 1999 and 2000, the Kids Can Play years not to mention, he's an National League guy at heart.

I hope he gets the job. He's a good person and I wish him success in the future.

CubKilla
11-19-2003, 09:37 AM
If he gets the Reds job will the White Sox still be obligated to pay him for the '04 year of his contract?

bobj4400
11-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
If he gets the Reds job will the White Sox still be obligated to pay him for the '04 year of his contract?

I think the Sox would be relieved of his contract if JM takes another job. Pretty sure of this, but not positive...

MarqSox
11-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I'm not a legal expert, but I wouldn't think so he is under contract to the Sox to provide his exclusive managerial services. If he took another job before the contract is up, he would be voiding his agreement with the Sox.

jortafan
11-19-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I'm not a legal expert, but I wouldn't think so he is under contract to the Sox to provide his exclusive managerial services. If he took another job before the contract is up, he would be voiding his agreement with the Sox.

BUT, the only reason he's not providing his "exclusive services" is because the White Sox chose to let him go. It's not like Jerry was looking to get out of his contract, like a Lou Piniella last year. So he would still get his money for '04.

Your scenario would apply if Tony LaRussa had seriously considered leaving the final year of his contract in St. Louis to come to the Sox. They (the Cardinals) would not have been financially obligated.

All I know is that it must be nice for Jerry to get paid for doing nothing. I wish my former employer would do the same.

washington
11-19-2003, 10:53 AM
I think Jerry is a good fit for the Reds. He was always at his best when managing young teams his best years were 1999 and 2000, the Kids Can Play years not to mention, he's an National League guy at heart.

IMO Manuel's basically a .500 manager, no matter how good or bad his team is The Reds may finish a lot better with him managing their decimated roster than someone else would.

jeremyb1
11-19-2003, 03:52 PM

I hope he gets the job. He's a good person and I wish him success in the future.

I agree. Good for Jerry.

nasox
11-19-2003, 04:32 PM
At least he wasn't an A-hole to the fans and media (although I dont care about them). He is a good guy and I hope he does ok.

chisox06
11-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by nasox
At least he wasn't an A-hole to the fans and media (although I dont care about them). He is a good guy and I hope he does ok.

I agree, as long as JM is in the National League, I wish him nothin but success. Do I think hes a good manager? Not at all. But JM is a good guy and I wish him luck.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
A few thoughts on Manuel's candidacy in Cincinnati.

1.) Jerry's love of moving players around is definitely better-suited to the National League. This is hardly enough to make him successful in Cincinnati.

2.) Manuel's weakness wasn't dugout tactics as much as communicating clearly. It's the #1 qualification for being and effective manager and Manuel got *worse* at it over time. Once his players realized what Manuel said was meaningless (sometime around July, 2001), he was cooked as manager.

3.) Cincinnati has narrowed down their choices to four finalists and their stated primary criteria will be finding someone with extensive managerial experience. Kenny Williams refused to say what his criteria was for picking the next Sox manager and eventually wound up hiring one with absolutely no managerial experience.

4.) Based on #1, #2, and #3 above, Jerry Manuel's chances of succeeding in Cincinnati are far greater than they were with the Sox. The trouble with the Sox starts a bit higher than Jerry Manuel.

Rocklive99
11-19-2003, 09:54 PM
:jerry

"Yes! I'm coming home D'angelo!"

duke of dorwood
11-19-2003, 10:29 PM
:firejerry

RKMeibalane
11-19-2003, 10:47 PM
It looks like the Reds players should start thinking about how many scoops of ice cream they want after each game.

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for putting Adam Dunn in the starting lineup."