PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear this rumor?

gosox41
11-19-2003, 07:38 AM
That the Sox are going to raise ticket prices? I know that makes a lot of people unhappy including me.

Before it happens, here's a chance for us to let the team know what we think. Pretty much every poster here that lives in Chicago goes to a few games a year so it effects you all. Maybe enough negative publicity here about a possible raise in ticket prices will make the team think twice, especially if they lurk here.

Bob

MarqSox
11-19-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
That the Sox are going to raise ticket prices? I know that makes a lot of people unhappy including me.

Before it happens, here's a chance for us to let the team know what we think. Pretty much every poster here that lives in Chicago goes to a few games a year so it effects you all. Maybe enough negative publicity here about a possible raise in ticket prices will make the team think twice, especially if they lurk here.

Bob
I'm sure they would be shocked to hear that fans don't want to spend more money on tickets.

CubKilla
11-19-2003, 08:30 AM
I've been hearing this rumor for a few weeks now. Must be helping to pay for the stadium renovations.

Procol Harum
11-19-2003, 09:02 AM

Bob

I'm thinking we should just organize a matter-of-fact campaign to notify Sox management that in light of their budget restraints we, as responsible adults and family people, realize that we must exercise good household stewardship over our own budgets and therefore cannot be expected to expend as much money on a shoddy product as we have in past years. At some point, perhaps the notion will get through to Sox brass that the old bromide holds true--ya gotta spend some money, to make some money.

On the serious side, I'm thinkin' of writing just such a letter that will explain why the Procol clan is deciding to attend about half the games we attended in '03. I would think that a lot of you season ticket holders must really get a sharp, stabbing pain in the gut when you fill out your season tikkee plans--all that money shelled out for this perennial bust...and no glimmer of hope in sight.

Procol Harum
11-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I'm thinking we should just organize a matter-of-fact campaign to notify Sox management that in light of their budget restraints we, as responsible adults and family people, realize that we must exercise good household stewardship over our own budgets and therefore cannot be expected to expend as much money on a shoddy product as we have in past years. At some point, perhaps the notion will get through to Sox brass that the old bromide holds true--ya gotta spend some money, to make some money.

On the serious side, I'm thinkin' of writing just such a letter that will explain why the Procol clan is deciding to attend about half the games we attended in '03. I would think that a lot of you season ticket holders must really get a sharp, stabbing pain in the gut when you fill out your season tikkee plans--all that money shelled out for this perennial bust...and no glimmer of hope in sight.

And now, I remember that Hangar and others have been writing a whole long thread on this very topic. What they said... :D:

anewman35
11-19-2003, 09:35 AM
no glimmer of hope in sight.

Sure there's a glimmer of hope. We're still in the AL Central. The AL Central is still the worst division in baseball. If Ozzie can just fire up the team, the division can be ours.

anewman35
11-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Sure there's a glimmer of hope. We're still in the AL Central. The AL Central is still the worst division in baseball. If Ozzie can just fire up the team, the division can be ours.

Ok, fine, maybe it's not the worst division in baseball, because we all know how bad the NL Central is. Anyway, if you have to pick a place to be in the AL, it's the place to be. Let's just take advantage of it this year.

Adam

doublem23
11-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I've been hearing this rumor for a few weeks now. Must be helping to pay for the stadium renovations.

:reinsy
We're taking out thousands of seats... I have to make my money somewhere.

:angry:

kittle42
11-19-2003, 09:42 AM

This is the problem. The Sox are in a horrible division, and management, instead of picking up a few players to dominate, uses it as an excuse to play down to the competition. Pathetic.

anewman35
11-19-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
This is the problem. The Sox are in a horrible division, and management, instead of picking up a few players to dominate, uses it as an excuse to play down to the competition. Pathetic.

The Sox tried the whole "picking up a few players to dominate" thing last year. It clearly didn't work, proving that having the most talent isn't always a sure thing, the talent has to play well. The Sox talent didn't.

CubKilla
11-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by kittle42

Winning a WS can be done on a budget. Anaheim and Florida have done it over the past two years. But the White Sox lack within the Organization. As long as JR owns the team, KW GM's, the current scouts "scout" (And I use the term "scout" loosely), etc., etc..... this team, on a budget, is going nowhere.

This Organization needs to spend $$$$$ to win.

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2003, 10:03 AM
What $20 is not enough to sit all the way in the top?

If it happens, this will be pathetic!

34 Inch Stick
11-19-2003, 10:05 AM
Is this the major move rumored about in Cheeses' double tomato post?

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Is this the major move rumored about in Cheeses' double tomato post?

LOL, I sure as hell hope not.

SoxxoS
11-19-2003, 11:01 AM
The Sox tried the whole "picking up a few players to dominate" thing last year. It clearly didn't work, proving that having the most talent isn't always a sure thing, the talent has to play well. The Sox talent didn't.

It didn't work thanks to:

:jerry

"Hi." Wait until the Reds play the Sox. You won't know what hit you!

Frank the Tank
11-19-2003, 11:45 AM
I think they'll probably raise the price of "good seats". I would be surprised if they raise the price of bleachers or UD seats. It wouldn't make sense to raise the UD prices if they want to increase traffic there. Does anybody else remember when bleacher seats used to be synonomous with cheap seats?

fuzzy_patters
11-19-2003, 12:32 PM
If the ticket prices are raised, we get the same payroll for less money. I guess I will pull my pants down and bend over a table now. Grease that thing up first, Uncle Jerry.

JDP
11-19-2003, 01:11 PM
I have Gate's # on my cell, wonder if he'd want to buy a MLB team. Imagine the payroll if he were footing it year after year....

cheeses_h_rice
11-19-2003, 01:17 PM
No, this wasn't the rumor I had posted in the other, now unmanageably huge, thread. :smile:

I think it's a HUGE mistake to raise prices. I still think it's gotten too expensive to sit in most seats at the Cell -- $27 for box seats (that usually are way down the 1B or 3B line) and *$40* for Club level seats is pushing the envelope, IMO. On top of $13 for parking (which I almost always refuse to pay), and you've got a pretty expensive outing for such a 'routine' type of entertainment as a home Sox game (81 x a year it's offered).

Call me crazy, but I think the Sox would be well advised to LOWER the prices of all tickets across the board, and try to make it up in volume and increased parking/food/beer/merch sales. Make the Sox the "inexpensive" alternative to the Urinal, to get more tourist dollars and noncommital-fan dollars. Look at the success of the Kane County Cougars, et al -- people go there because it's cheap, for the most part.

Huisj
11-19-2003, 02:02 PM
I made it down for a few games last summer, but as a college student on a stinking tight budget, if they raise prices i just won't be able to afford the trip down there having to pay for gas, food, tickets, and parking. I was already surprised at the increase in parking last year, if they raise ticket prices, i don't see myself making it to more than one game probably, which sucks a lot.

Procol Harum
11-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Call me crazy, but I think the Sox would be well advised to LOWER the prices of all tickets across the board, and try to make it up in volume and increased parking/food/beer/merch sales. Make the Sox the "inexpensive" alternative to the Urinal, to get more tourist dollars and noncommital-fan dollars. Look at the success of the Kane County Cougars, et al -- people go there because it's cheap, for the most part.

Sounds like a good strategy given the state of the baseball market here in Chicago (much of it due to Jerry and Friends' tone-deaf ear for public relations and marketing). For that reason, with these lunks at the helm, slim and no chance it'll happen. <sigh>

Tekijawa
11-19-2003, 02:28 PM
They Changed the pitch of the upper deck for the Fans...

They hired Ozzie for the fans...

If they would only put a winning team on the field for the fans, they wouldn't have to do things for the fans so much...

I'd pay what ever they wanted and they could sit me on top of the roof for world series tickets!

StockdaleForVeep
11-19-2003, 02:31 PM
isnt this typical bill wirtz strategy? Give a sub par team and charge world champion prices? Whats next, sox home games not televised?

What would Hawk and DJ do then

SoxFan78
11-19-2003, 02:46 PM

amen brother! Can't the sox see the success of Half Price Mondays and Tuesdays. They get the park packed! I wonder how much the numbers and concessions were on those days. Its not cheap to go out to a game anymore. If you want good seats, its at least 20 bucks. Add parking on to that, for a family of four thats almost 100 bucks. And don't get me started on if you order through ticketmaster. Sorry to say the sox don't have the same situation that team on the North side has. They could raise ticket prices 200% and people would still go.

Lower the prices and they will come...

maurice
11-19-2003, 02:56 PM
If the Sox raise ticket prices while refusing to improve the club, they can look forward to a number of die-hard former season ticket holders spending their baseball funds on road games or not at all. Another brilliant business move, Jerry.

:reinsy
"See, the plan is to compete with the cubs by increasing ticket prices, reducing the number of seats, and fieldng a less competitive team in an extremely weak division. When the team starts taking on water, the fish will be able to attend games!"

ewokpelts
11-19-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I think they'll probably raise the price of "good seats". I would be surprised if they raise the price of bleachers or UD seats. It wouldn't make sense to raise the UD prices if they want to increase traffic there. Does anybody else remember when bleacher seats used to be synonomous with cheap seats?
Bleachers cost more than the upper deck. They are considered "good seats". In most peoples' minds, any lower deck seat is infinitely better than the ud, pre or post renovations. If that raise ld tickets, they will raise the bleachers aswell. George wrote an interesting article about how much bleacher tickets have gone up over the years. They started off at 6 bucks, and now go to season ticket holders for 20(22 at the box office)!
Gene

Scotty347
11-19-2003, 04:57 PM
I still think it's gotten too expensive to sit in most seats at the Cell -- $27 for box seats (that usually are way down the 1B or 3B line) and *$40* for Club level seats is pushing the envelope, IMO. On top of $13 for parking

Cheeses,
You are going to be in for a shock, because those prices are 2 years old. The lower deck box was $29 last year and parking was $15.

Those prices you mentioned were the discounts with season ticket purchases. But I agree its pretty steep. I think going over $30 for a lower deck seat would be pushing it right now.

soxwon
11-19-2003, 05:00 PM
so they raise prices- its only money.
whats a few bucks more a game.
remember its WHITESOX baseball-the greatest team in all of sports.
i say lets raise it
da reverand

dickallen15
11-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Where is this rumor coming from? It seems every "rumor" about the White Sox is negative, dumping payroll, raising ticket prices. People talk about a media conspiracy against the White Sox. I think there is a rumor conspiracy against them as well.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-19-2003, 05:06 PM
hope not, I remember a few years ago LD box seats were like $24. now the UD seats nearly cost that much

CubKilla
11-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Where is this rumor coming from? It seems every "rumor" about the White Sox is negative, dumping payroll, raising ticket prices. People talk about a media conspiracy against the White Sox. I think there is a rumor conspiracy against them as well.

A Sox season-ticket rep.

gosox41
11-20-2003, 07:17 AM

I also e-mailed the team airing out some issues. I think some sort of campaign needs to happen, or at the very least all the fans that post here send e-mails explaining how stupid it is to raise prices and not raise the payroll.

There are some people in the media that post here, maybe they could use their influence to give this story some attention. It may be come off as negative first, but overall it'd be a positive that the Sox aren't jacking up their ticket prices while they Cubs will.

Bob

ewokpelts
11-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
A Sox season-ticket rep.

i hope jerry dosent discover the leak....no wonder they havent sent my renewal form yet
Gene

Ventura23Fan
11-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan78
amen brother! Can't the sox see the success of Half Price Mondays and Tuesdays. They get the park packed! I wonder how much the numbers and concessions were on those days. Its not cheap to go out to a game anymore. If you want good seats, its at least 20 bucks. Add parking on to that, for a family of four thats almost 100 bucks. And don't get me started on if you order through ticketmaster. Sorry to say the sox don't have the same situation that team on the North side has. They could raise ticket prices 200% and people would still go.

Lower the prices and they will come...

To offset the increase in ticket prices last year, I picked three half-price Monday games in my Sox-7 plan. I just took a look at the tentative schedule for next year. There were only 4 Monday home games, 2 vs. Minnesota and 2 vs. Cleveland. I also went to two half-price Tuesday games last year, but the discount is only available the day of the game so I can't pick those games for my Sox-7 plan. Depending on how much the increase is and what moves the Sox make in the offseason, I may not be willing to opt for the Sox-7 plan next year.

ewokpelts
11-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ventura23Fan
To offset the increase in ticket prices last year, I picked three half-price Monday games in my Sox-7 plan. I just took a look at the tentative schedule for next year. There were only 4 Monday home games, 2 vs. Minnesota and 2 vs. Cleveland. I also went to two half-price Tuesday games last year, but the discount is only available the day of the game so I can't pick those games for my Sox-7 plan. Depending on how much the increase is and what moves the Sox make in the offseason, I may not be willing to opt for the Sox-7 plan next year.

wanna really mess with the sox? pick your dollar game w/ the opener or cubs games......but to do this, fax your order weeks before the day individual tickets go on sale...so it'll be on top of the pile to process. I've done this before.
Gene

ewokpelts
11-20-2003, 04:00 PM
I've heard a nasty rumor that ticket prices may increase for 2004. Barring variable pricing for key games, an increase in ticket prices will greatly limit my willingness to budget money for games at a similar rate to 2003. While I dont know any details, I hope the organization realizes that with announcing a lower payroll, a price increase will only anger fans who feel they have been spending way too much already on a product that hasnt produced(World Series title) in over 86 years. And factoring in the fact the Houston Astros, hosts of the 04 ASG, are planning to lower ticket prices, despite the increase in ticket sales due to the ASG, I feel less compelled to invest my time, money, and emotions to a money making enterprise that offers no real reward for loyalty. Mind you, I've also heard that there will be an increase in half-off or discount nights, so I'll reserve judgement until pricing is announced.

cwsox
11-20-2003, 05:14 PM

Bob

I don't live in Chicago - I am two states away - and have seasons tickets - everything I have seen and received thus far is indicating no increases in ticket prices. We are losing 6,000 of the cheapest seats, but I doubt they are raising the other prices.

I will double check with the sox dude.

duke of dorwood
11-20-2003, 10:27 PM
Just when I think I'm in, they just push me away. It already costs too much to go and donate to the Reinsdorf estate. Constantly raising tickets and parking, constantly complaining about payroll. And remember, payroll is likely covered easily by TV $. I'm tired of being crapped on by Reinsdorf

joecrede
11-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
And remember, payroll is likely covered easily by TV $. I'm tired of being crapped on by Reinsdorf

How much do they get from local and national TV per year? I thought it was somewhere between $40-45M? Anyone know for sure?