PDA

View Full Version : In a "Flash," our bullpen gets terrible again

Clembasbal
11-19-2003, 08:18 AM
A month after contract talks with Bartolo Colon broke down, general manager Ken Williams said that reliever Tom Gordon also will not be back with the team.

''I don't see how it can work at this point,'' Williams said about contract negotiations with Gordon.

I gotta say I am somewhat upset because we become seriously weak in the pen, but at the same time...we are on a budget freeze and Flash was asking around $5million/year. Way to much for a possible season, and he could get hurt again.

I wonder who will replace him?

gosox41
11-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
I gotta say I am somewhat upset because we become seriously weak in the pen, but at the same time...we are on a budget freeze and Flash was asking around $5million/year. Way to much for a possible season, and he could get hurt again.

I wonder who will replace him?

Flash had a good year last year but he's hardly a $5 mill. a year player. If anything the Sox should be investing a lot of money in finding starters then relievers they eat more of the teams innings.

For next year I'm perectly comfortable going into the season with a bullpen of:

Marte
Schoneweis
Wunsch
Ginter
Rauch
cheap veteran.

This is assuming the Sox can get two more starting pitchers who are good for 190-200IP if not more. Ponson would be a good fit. I'd like to the Sox use Colon's money and find 2 $6-7 mil. starters.

Bob

jabrch
11-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
This is assuming the Sox can get two more starting pitchers who are good for 190-200IP if not more. Ponson would be a good fit. I'd like to the Sox use Colon's money and find 2 $6-7 mil. starters.

Bob

Ponson and who?

soxtalker
11-19-2003, 08:39 AM
Will the Sox offer arbitration? If so, what sort of compensation does Gordon yield for us?

hold2dibber
11-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Ponson and who?

Greg Maddux?
Kelvim Escobar?
Miguel Batista?
Wilson Alvarez?
Brian Anderson?
John Burkett?
Mark Redman?

Probably only the first two guys on that list would cost upwards of $5 million/year. If I were KW, I think I'd make a play for Ponson and for either Anderson, Burkett or Alvarez.

RichH55
11-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Greg Maddux?
Kelvim Escobar?
Miguel Batista?
Wilson Alvarez?
Brian Anderson?
John Burkett?
Mark Redman?

Probably only the first two guys on that list would cost upwards of $5 million/year. If I were KW, I think I'd make a play for Ponson and for either Anderson, Burkett or Alvarez.

Go with Alvarez out of those three.

And don't forget about Sterling Hitchcock...and throw some of that money(not much though) Jay Payton's way

34 Inch Stick
11-19-2003, 10:57 AM
Doesn't this make the accepting of Jose Valentin's option at 5 million more and more questionable?

washington
11-19-2003, 10:59 AM
I bet the Sox won't do anything this offseason unless it involves dumping salaries. I'll be shocked if they even look into signing a well-known free agent

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2003, 11:04 AM
When Flash think he worth 5MM, Flash be crazy!

2 - 2.5 at the most is what he is worth.

SoxxoS
11-19-2003, 11:58 AM
I am elated we didn't resign Flash.

Am I the only one remembering his injury history? We caught lightning in a bottle this year, although we couldn't do anything with it.

He will spend some time on the DL next year...book that.

Foulke You
11-19-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Am I the only one remembering his injury history? We caught lightning in a bottle this year, although we couldn't do anything with it.

Yeah, I think we kind've got lucky with Flash last year. When he is healthy and he is dropping the hammer on that curve ball to spot his 96mph fastball, he is filthy and no fun for MLB hitters to go up against. But he is a huge health risk and getting up there in age. Flash might get closer money from some team who is desperate for a closer or a team that is looking to spend some serious coin in the offseason like San Diego but we aren't in a position to potentially waste money on a health risk due to our self imposed salary cap. If Flash went down in the third week of April, where would we be then?

I'd like to use a Mariotti-ism to express myself now: "In a perfect world...Gordon would be signed along with another top flite reliever like Latroy Hawkins or Shigetoshi Hasegawa..."

Frank the Tank
11-19-2003, 12:40 PM

I completely agree. Like Loiaza, I think Gordon over-achieved last year. I think Konerko at 8MM is a better deal than Gordon at 5MM.

maurice
11-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
For next year I'm perectly comfortable going into the season with a bullpen of:

Marte
Schoneweis
Wunsch
Ginter
Rauch
cheap veteran.

As discussed in another thread, the Sox may decide to dump either Schoenweis or Wunsch in a cost-cutting move, particularly if KW views them both only as LOOGies and does not intend to start Schoenweis. Also, I expect to see Koch and Wright in the pen in 2004.

Brian26
11-19-2003, 01:38 PM

Agreed. He was pitching on borrowed time. This is the perfect time NOT to sign him to a $5 mil contract.

jeremyb1
11-19-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
When Flash think he worth 5MM, Flash be crazy!

2 - 2.5 at the most is what he is worth.

I agree. Flash has injury issues, I think that we can do a lot better with our 2-2.5 million in this market. At a minimum that should net us Leskanic.

TraderTim
11-19-2003, 04:47 PM
The other thing to remember, folks, is that HE WANTS $5 mill per...

That don't mean a thing until someone is willing to pay him anywhere near that. Like Colon and Robbie and most free agents, he's been through this before and his agent told him not to sniff at a one year deal before the free agent market signings get going, because what if the market is hotter than it presently appears?

My guess is the Sox offered him middle of the road money and a one year deal, perhaps with a team option for year two, and he's been reading the same rumors everyone else has, saying that Philly is interested in him, etc. He's hoping this will start other teams calling.

Robbie...same thing. He probably wants a multi-year contract and hopes that's what he gets. But first, he has to get soemone interested. He can't stand around alongside his brother, who just signed a deal with no negotitations...He's got to make some noise and hope someone is listening and looking for a player just like him for two years plus.

Me? I like Robbie. I hope he is over-estimating his value, but I really like watching his defense, especially if the Sox keep Jose. I hope he's back at 2nd, unless we see a very pleasant surprise signed before spring training.

Flash? Errr...Whatever. The last thing I'd do is reach for his contract if we don't have the cash. If there's any demand out there at all offering him multi-year contracts above $3 mill per, I have no interest. Like everyone else, I feel we rehabbed him and he had ONE injury free season. Now he wants big money and security...sorry. See Paulie as exhibit A for someone with a contract that would look like a multi-year contract if Flash's arm falls off.

We'll be fine.

Forkit!