PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Center Fielder?


oheeoh...magglio
11-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Who is it going to be? Aaron Rowand? Joe Borchard? Jeremy Reed? Other? I actually hope we give the kid a chance, I mean Reed won a ton of awards last year and hit over .400 in Birmingham, and I think he's worth a shot. All I hear is great things about him, and I think he could end up being one of those young phenom types ie Albert Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, etc. Maybe i'm just having a case of wishful thinking, but I want to know who you all think will be and who you want to be our starting center fielder on opening day.

DSpivack
11-18-2003, 08:25 PM
We have heard much of his hitting, but what of his defense?

Wasn't he a corner OF in the minors?

Though, Carl Everett was a corner OF playing CF.

Of course, he would be top candidate to replace a traded Lee or Ordonez.

poorme
11-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Reed played center.

Daver
11-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
We have heard much of his hitting, but what of his defense?

Wasn't he a corner OF in the minors?



Jeremy Reed is a converted infielder.He played first base in HS and first base/left field in college.

guillen4life13
11-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Reed played center.

In AA. As far as I know, he is more suited as a corner outfielder, though he would work in center.

bc2k
11-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Who is it going to be? Aaron Rowand? Joe Borchard? Jeremy Reed? Other? I actually hope we give the kid a chance, I mean Reed won a ton of awards last year and hit over .400 in Birmingham, and I think he's worth a shot. All I hear is great things about him, and I think he could end up being one of those young phenom types ie Albert Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, etc. Maybe i'm just having a case of wishful thinking, but I want to know who you all think will be and who you want to be our starting center fielder on opening day.

Nice idea for a thread. Even though this has been discussed before, it's nice to see a thread specifically to this topic.

I really think Borchard can be the next Kevin Maas.

fuzzy_patters
11-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Who is it going to be? Aaron Rowand? Joe Borchard? Jeremy Reed? Other? I actually hope we give the kid a chance, I mean Reed won a ton of awards last year and hit over .400 in Birmingham, and I think he's worth a shot. All I hear is great things about him, and I think he could end up being one of those young phenom types ie Albert Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, etc. Maybe i'm just having a case of wishful thinking, but I want to know who you all think will be and who you want to be our starting center fielder on opening day.

Isn't Birmingham supposed to be a great hitters park? I would like the Sox to see how well Reed hits in Charlotte before giving him a chance. Does anyone know where or if he is playing winter ball this year? Perhaps that could provide a better showcase for his true hitting ability.

Daver
11-18-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Isn't Birmingham supposed to be a great hitters park? I would like the Sox to see how well Reed hits in Charlotte before giving him a chance. Does anyone know where or if he is playing winter ball this year? Perhaps that could provide a better showcase for his true hitting ability.

Birmingham is a pitcher's park,very like old Comiskey,it is where fly balls go to die.

It takes a lot to hit a ball out of that field.

oheeoh...magglio
11-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Isn't Birmingham supposed to be a great hitters park? I would like the Sox to see how well Reed hits in Charlotte before giving him a chance. Does anyone know where or if he is playing winter ball this year? Perhaps that could provide a better showcase for his true hitting ability.

Charlotte is the great hitters park, Birmingham is actually a great ballpark for pitchers.

Randar68
11-19-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Isn't Birmingham supposed to be a great hitters park? I would like the Sox to see how well Reed hits in Charlotte before giving him a chance. Does anyone know where or if he is playing winter ball this year? Perhaps that could provide a better showcase for his true hitting ability.

Field Dimensions
Foul Lines 340
Power Alleys 385
Center 405

Not to mention a 15-20 foot wall all the way around...

Hitters park? Maybe if there isn't any gravity...

ondafarm
11-19-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Reed played center.

As a person who actually saw Reed play last year (roughly 25 games) I don't think he will ever play center in the majors. Left field sure, but he's not a center fielder.

Birmingham is definately a pitchers park.

Charlotte is considered a hitters park but isn't about to rival the SkyDome.

poorme
11-19-2003, 10:26 AM
If Reed can't play CF, we are in big trouble.

34 Inch Stick
11-19-2003, 10:53 AM
With the announcement about not persuing Gordon because of money it is becoming clearer that this team will be looking to go very cheap at a few positions. CF is one of those. It looks like it is going to be Rowand's job to lose. Even if Reed plays well in ST, Rowand is going to have to play himself out of the job.

MisterB
11-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I really think Borchard can be the next Kevin Maas.

Don't sell Borchard short - he has the skills to be the next Rob Deer.

CubKilla
11-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Even if Reed plays well in ST, Rowand is going to have to play himself out of the job.

Or swing himself out of it like he did early on in '03.

maurice
11-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Assuming we get a 2B and don't lose/replace a corner OF, I think the Sox will break camp with Harris (shudder) and Rowand splitting time in CF. It seems that KW has slated Reed and Borchard to spend at least a few months in the minors in 2004, unless one of them has a huge spring, or Maggs and/or CLee are traded and not replaced.

fuzzy_patters
11-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Charlotte is the great hitters park, Birmingham is actually a great ballpark for pitchers.

Thanks. I confused the two.