PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Prior


bc2k
11-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Tom Verducci of Sportsillustraded.com wrote mostly a POS article about the human factors in MLB voting awards - including ripping Chicago writers for voting Loaiza first for Cy Young - but almost made up for it with a nice nugget on Mark Prior's contract with the Cubs. Hi, I'm POS Tom Verducci (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/tom_verducci/11/18/insider/index.html)

maurice
11-18-2003, 02:44 PM
I don't see how anybody can rip voting Loaiza first for Cy Young. He at least arguably had a better season than Halladay. IMHO, his stats show that he was the top pitcher in the AL.

SoxxoS
11-18-2003, 02:44 PM
That is good news. Anything that will force the Tribune company to pony up more cash is a good thing.

I have no idea why they would have an "arbitration" clause in his contract. When they signed him, they knew he was Jesus, so they probably should have just upped the orignal contract a little more to avoid going to arbitration until at least his next to last year. They are going to pay for it, ESPECIALLY if he win Cy Young next year (But they might just call it the Mark Prior award by then).

Tekijawa
11-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I have no idea why they would have an "arbitration" clause in his contract. When they signed him, they knew he was Jesus, so they probably should have just upped the orignal contract a little more to avoid going to arbitration until at least his next to last year.


This is exactly why the twins passed on him... The Cubs may have known he was "jesus" but I think Prior knew that he had the upper hand with whoever he negotiated with...

Iwritecode
11-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by maurice
I don't see how anybody can rip voting Loaiza first for Cy Young. He at least arguably had a better season than Halladay. IMHO, his stats show that he was the top pitcher in the AL.

You notice he doesn't bring up any stats or anything to back this up like he does with a couple of other players. Basically, Loazia started strong and finished badly. Halladay started badly and finished strong. Of course everyone remembers what happened in September better than what happened in April. Those two 1 - 0 losses against the Tigers (the Tigers?!?) really hurt too...

thepaulbowski
11-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Those two 1 - 0 losses against the Tigers (the Tigers?!?) really hurt too...

So did that horrible outing against the Twins, which was the begining of the end for the Sox.

Foulke You
11-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
You notice he doesn't bring up any stats or anything to back this up like he does with a couple of other players. Basically, Loazia started strong and finished badly. Halladay started badly and finished strong. Of course everyone remembers what happened in September better than what happened in April. Those two 1 - 0 losses against the Tigers (the Tigers?!?) really hurt too...

Yeah, I noticed that he posted no stats to back up his claims. It's either LAZY journalism or SELECTIVE journalism. "Lazy" meaning he either assumed because it was such a landslide in favor of Halladay that it was somehow laughable that Loaiza got any first place votes and then didn't bother to check and compare stats. "Selective" meaning he knew the type of season Loaiza had but didn't care because it didn't fit into his "shame on you for voting for ________ " theme. What a tool. Use Sports Illustrated to line your bird cage along with the Chicago Tribune.

Loaiza deserved a whole lot better than he got as far as votes. I'm not as mad about him losing as I am about how many 1st place votes he got. He deserved way more than 2.

Daver
11-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
That is good news. Anything that will force the Tribune company to pony up more cash is a good thing.

I have no idea why they would have an "arbitration" clause in his contract. When they signed him, they knew he was Jesus, so they probably should have just upped the orignal contract a little more to avoid going to arbitration until at least his next to last year. They are going to pay for it, ESPECIALLY if he win Cy Young next year (But they might just call it the Mark Prior award by then).

Prior,unlike most draft picks,was signed to a Major League contract out of the draft,not a minor league contract.

Tekijawa
11-18-2003, 06:43 PM
I bet the Cubs are Shopping him because of this!!! Could this be the big RUMOR!

Hangar18
11-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Yeah, I noticed that he posted no stats to back up his claims. It's either LAZY journalism or SELECTIVE journalism. "Lazy" meaning he either assumed because it was such a landslide in favor of Halladay that it was somehow laughable that Loaiza got any first place votes and then didn't bother to check and compare stats. "Selective" meaning he knew the type of season Loaiza had but didn't care because it didn't fit into his "shame on you for voting for ________ " theme. What a tool. Use Sports Illustrated to line your bird cage along with the Chicago Tribune.

Loaiza deserved a whole lot better than he got as far as votes. I'm not as mad about him losing as I am about how many 1st place votes he got. He deserved way more than 2.

Good Post man ......... The Yellow media NEVER lets Facts get in the way of a Good Story