PDA

View Full Version : Sox Alumni in Power at 35th Street

fledgedrallycap
11-18-2003, 01:56 PM
I have been giving the following philosophy a lot of thought recently and although this mindset does not necessarily equal victories or championships, I am encouraged and completely agree with what the White Sox are doing in employing front office and on-the-field positions with individuals who have a history, passion, commitment and loyalty to White Sox Baseball.

What is everyone’s thought of keeping it in the family, so to speak?

doublem23
11-18-2003, 02:03 PM
It doesn't matter how many alum the get to work, as long as Uncle Jerry's got his fingers on the pursestring.

:reinsy
I'll pay Paul Konerko a million times what he's worth, but Maggs has got to go.

poorme
11-18-2003, 02:04 PM
I don't mind it, but what scares me is we don't really have a "winning" tradition.

To me, Carlton Fisk would be the kind of guy you would want in the organization.

voodoochile
11-18-2003, 02:08 PM
I think it's more a signt of Jerry's cheapness. He isn't hiring experienced ex-Sox players, just inexpensive ones.

Those guys come cheaper because they have loyalty to the uniform they wore in the past...

poorme
11-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Those guys come cheaper because they have loyalty to the uniform they wore in the past...

I think it's probably because we're the only ones that offered them a job.

voodoochile
11-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I think it's probably because we're the only ones that offered them a job.

That too, which ties back into that lack of experiece thing... sigh...

kittle42
11-18-2003, 02:13 PM
I demand a front-office job for Kelly Paris.

joepoe
11-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Don't get too excited. Allan Trammel is the manager of the Tigers and Kirk Gibson is his bench coach.

maurice
11-18-2003, 02:33 PM
His policy of hiring alumns has worked wonders for the Bulls.

soxnut
11-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I have been giving the following philosophy a lot of thought recently and although this mindset does not necessarily equal victories or championships, I am encouraged and completely agree with what the White Sox are doing in employing front office and on-the-field positions with individuals who have a history, passion, commitment and loyalty to White Sox Baseball.

What is everyone’s thought of keeping it in the family, so to speak?

I agree. :smile:

fledgedrallycap
11-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I agree. :smile:

I have someone on my side...thanks!

MarqSox
11-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by maurice
His policy of hiring alumns has worked wonders for the Bulls.
Well, given that policy is about 2 years old, I think it's kind of unfair to really judge it.

I'm all for bringing back ex-White Sox. All things equal, why not give your friends a shot? I think it's great ... of course, I'd rather win with outsiders than lose with alumni.

dan
11-19-2003, 03:13 PM
marg sox you are a huge loser. No one wants to see political statements made on a sox board! Show some class!

maurice
11-19-2003, 03:32 PM
:troll
Originally posted by dan
marg sox you are a huge loser. . . . Show some class!

I believe that's a "q" and not a "g."

How ironic that a newer poster attempts to make the board more classy by calling a veteran poster a "huge loser."

Palehose13
11-19-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm all for the Ozzie and Joey show. Even if they don't win at least they won't put me to sleep like Manuel did and Gaston would have...

Daver
11-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I'm all for the Ozzie and Joey show. Even if they don't win at least they won't put me to sleep like Manuel did and Gaston would have...

I am of the opinion that you make changes to improve your ballclub,not for the sake of making changes,which is exactly what I think the hiring of Ozzie was.It was a cheap change that does little to make this team a contender.

ode to veeck
11-19-2003, 10:31 PM
As much as I like Ozzie, he's light on experience for a contender mgr role, and comes cheap to a managing partner with a long track record of hiring cheap on the job training mgr "specials".

Having it happen with a favorite and highly spirited ex-SOX does well to cover Jerry's tracks and confuse the emotions of Sox fans everywhere.

Bottom line: I'd have preferred to bring Ozzie in as bench or base coach and work him up, but bringing him in as new mgr is a disappointment---the $$ and trades at mid-season had me thinking mgmt was finally changing, but this mgr change helped reset my distorted perceptions quick.

I like Ozzie & I hope it works out in spite of the "real" motivation for it ($).