PDA

View Full Version : I'm so tired of all the Wrigley/night game hype...

hsnterprize
11-18-2003, 07:15 AM
Okay...I know a lot of people here aren't all that concerned about the hype over more night games at Wrigley Field. But, I thought I'd vent some frustrations about what some people are saying about the subject.

I've been watching snipets of a Lakeview town meeting about the Cubs and the community trying to agree on a deal to phase in more night games at Wrigley over the next few years. Brief details over the deal show the Cubs want to play up to 30 night games at Wrigley Field by the 2006 season. The number of night cames will rise from the current 18 gradually over the next few years. The City of Chicago and the Cubs are trying to iron out a deal to make that happen, including providing more police protection in the Wrigleyville neighborhood, parking help, and a $1 million contribution from the Cubs to help offset some of the costs. Bottom line...it sounds like a good deal, but there are too many people are crying and griping about the increase in traffic and other stuff.

From this reporter, here's my comment...too stinkin' bad, people. These folks who are protesting the increase in night games need to get with the program with modern baseball. Now, in fairness, there are those who support the plan, and even though I'm a Sox fan, I think more night games is okay. I mean, why not...every other team plays a lot of night games. Don't the people who are against more night games at Wrigley know that if it weren't for lights at their beloved dump, the Cubs would either have had to play their few playoff games since 1988 either in Milwaukee, St. Louis, Comiskey Park, or ultimately lose Wrigley? I can understand being concerned about the neighborhood and such, but you know what, I thought Wrigleyville was supposed to be the mecca of baseball neighborhoods, with friendly and loyal people cheering for the beloved Cubbies. In spite of more crimes happening near Wrigley than the Cell, Wrigleyville is supposed to be this utopia of Chicago, with everyone from princes to paupers racing to get there on the day/night of a Cubs game. So much for the hype.

Supporters said in this meeting that they don't mind any inconveniences caused by the added night games. One person even said if it takes him more time to get home from work because the Cubs are in the World Series, that'll be fine by him. Another supporter said there should be more than the proposed 30 night games. However, detractors said the 30 night games would either be too much for the community, or that people have to "build their lives around the baseball schedule." Awwwwwww...that's just too bad. I feel so badly for the people who live in an over-hyped yuppie neighborhood, pay way too much to live there, deal with all the trendy, 20-something college students and other socialites who frequent that dump of a ballpark everyday to get drunk in and around the place. Wow...those folks really have a lot of problems to deal with since their neighborhood is often touted as the standard who which all other ballparks are used. TV execs salivate about World Series games there since everyone loves the Cubbies, bars are packed with intelligent, knowledgeable Cub fans who know good baseball, and neighbors who treat all who go to Wrigley with the utmost of respect...even if they root for the visiting team. I'm sure we Sox fans have many wonderful stories of great Cub fans who were so nice to us even though we weren't drinking the Cubbie Kool-Aid they're so accustomed to.

Man...stuff like that really burns me up. Like I said, I know we should be more concerned about Sox affairs, but you know how those Cubs fans are...they can't get over themselves. Just for the fun of it, I'd like to tell these detractors to shut up and get a freakin' clue. If they were so upset about the Cubs playing more night games in their back yard, then they should move...it's that simple. Or, if the Cubs had any balls, they'd move to a new stadium, and leave those Wrigleyville mopes in the dust. Then we'd see just how many "loyal Cubs fans" there really are. But, I guess the mystique of "beautiful Wrigley Field" is too much for some people to even think about parting with. I know U.S. Cellular Field isn't Wrigley, but I'll take that place over that dump on Clark and Addison any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. It's good to know that even though our ballpark doesn't have the age and mystique of Wrigley, that if the Sox want to make changes to it, we Sox fans actually welcome it instead of fighting against it. I know there are those who were and are still against the Old Comiskey being gone. That place has great memories, but at least our team was able to move on...albeit, not in one of the most gracious ways. The Cub fans' moving on past Wrigley is nothing short of nearly impossible if meetings like this keep happening.

joepoe
11-18-2003, 07:42 AM
Hey, I am all for more night games at the Urinal, especially if it means more uirination on neighborhood lawns and garages, more drunken Cute and Cuddly fan pedestrians being struck by drunken Cute and Cuddly fan motorists and more yuppie neighbors being inconvenienced by all of the above.

kraut83
11-18-2003, 09:34 AM
They're just pissed because that's 12 more times a year they would actually have to show up for work.

doublem23
11-18-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by kraut83
They're just pissed because that's 12 more times a year they would actually have to show up for work.

LOL :)

kittle42
11-18-2003, 10:24 AM
I live in Wrigleyville and I think it's great that there would be more night games. It would just give me more chances to scream out my window at those mopes walking home after a loss.

ewokpelts
11-18-2003, 01:09 PM
And why are they complaining? They have resident parking passes for night games. Although I think if the wrigleyvile residents really want to decrease traffic, they should have thier parking restrictions for ALL games, like Bridgeport.
Gene

poorme
11-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Any citizen has a right to contribute to the political process, regardless of his/her opinions.

Anyway, fewer day games means fewer little kids watching the Cubs after school, which is a good thing for us.