PDA

View Full Version : CLee, would we move him to first?

SoxxoS
11-18-2003, 02:01 AM
I was thinking.

Let's say that God shines a light upon us, and GIDPaul is traded for Odalis Perez.

I was thinking maybe of a possible move of CLee to 1B, thereby sticking Jeremy Reed in LF and Borchard/Rowand in center, and hopefully Maggs in right. That move right there would help our team speed tremendously, and might actually improve our defense. CLee played third in the minors, so I am sure he can handle 1B.

As someone else mentioned, I would love to pick up Jay Payton and stick him in CF, and have a healthy Borchard fight it out with Reed for LF.

This is all under the assumption that Maggs is kept in left. If not, Reed can play there and CLee can stay in LF.

Can/Would you move CLee to 1B?

nasox
11-18-2003, 02:15 AM
it would take him at least a year to be fully comfortable withthe first base and if that is the case, then playing CLee at first will indicate rebuilding to me, or a franchise that is hurt. I don't think it would work-why not play Thomas???

SoxxoS
11-18-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by nasox
it would take him at least a year to be fully comfortable withthe first base and if that is the case, then playing CLee at first will indicate rebuilding to me, or a franchise that is hurt. I don't think it would work-why not play Thomas???

Playing Thomas is fine, no problem with that. If Ozzie is really into playing "small ball" and more team speed, I think a CLee move to first would be a welcome addition.

But your right, I would play Thomas at first for the most part. I would love to put CLee there every fourth game or so.

nasox
11-18-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Playing Thomas is fine, no problem with that. If Ozzie is really into playing "small ball" and more team speed, I think a CLee move to first would be a welcome addition.

But your right, I would play Thomas at first for the most part. I would love to put CLee there every fourth game or so.

But then wouldn't the team speed of Ozzie be more concerned on the basepaths and less concerned with defense? What I am saying is that speed doesn't matter as much defensively at first base. I agree with playing CLee in at first every fourth game or so if he performs satisfactorily in spring training and in team practices.

ondafarm
11-18-2003, 07:44 AM
I don't think this is the best of ideas. It does provide for greater team speed and improves the outfield defense. However, 1B is just so different from LF (or 3B.) At 1B your footspeed on defense really doesn't matter much, as long as you can beat the runners to first. In left speed is critical. There are a lot of subtle nuances to playing 1B well. Things like digging throws out, positioning for throws, the flip to the pitcher, the positioning is completely different from 3B. CLee has never shown himself to be a quick learner and I don't think we want someone learning such a new position at the major league level. If Konerko is traded, I'd look for Ross Gload to come up and split time with Frank at 1B.

Dadawg_77
11-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Speed and Defence don't matter at first. I rather have a guy who can swing the bat then J T Snow.

ondafarm
11-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Speed and Defence don't matter at first. I rather have a guy who can swing the bat then J T Snow.

I agreed on speed but not on defense. Chance was the best player of Tinkers to Evers to Chance.
Snow would be great.

Dadawg_77
11-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by ondafarm
I agreed on speed but not on defense. Chance was the best player of Tinkers to Evers to Chance.
Snow would be great.

I rather have Frank Thomas at first then Snow.

doublem23
11-18-2003, 10:44 AM
JT Snow???

Ugh...