PDA

View Full Version : Who should win MVP?

Thunderstruck30
11-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Who should win the MVP award, the best player in the league, or the player that means most to his team? I think it should go to the best player. With the exception of this year and a few others, a player on a bad team most likely wont win since his team isnt any good.

StepsInSC
11-17-2003, 10:27 PM
Most Valuable Player.

'Nuff said.

JRIG
11-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Most Valuable Player.

'Nuff said.

This, to me, is a similar argument to wins vs. ERA when judging pitchers. If you surround A-Rod with better teammates, his team wins more and he looks more valuable. Put last year's Tejada on the Rangers and he probably doesn't get an MVP vote.

By definition, IMO, the best player in the league has to be the most valuable.

Daver
11-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
This, to me, is a similar argument to wins vs. ERA when judging pitchers. If you surround A-Rod with better teammates, his team wins more and he looks more valuable. Put last year's Tejada on the Rangers and he probably doesn't get an MVP vote.

By definition, IMO, the best player in the league has to be the most valuable.

I will contend that the MVP should go to the most valuable player on any given team,and an MVP would almost always have helped his team reach the post season.

Dadawg_77
11-17-2003, 11:52 PM
It depends, this year on the contenders no one player stood out. Thus it goes to the best player even though his team finished last. If there are two comparables, Bond and Pujous and one makes the playoffs and the other doesn't. Tie goes to the guy playing in Oct.

OEO Magglio
11-18-2003, 12:10 AM
It depends, this year on the contenders no one player stood out. Thus it goes to the best player even though his team finished last. If there are two comparables, Bond and Pujous and one makes the playoffs and the other doesn't. Tie goes to the guy playing in Oct.
I think you said it perfectly, usually I'd agree with Daver on this one, and say the player would have to lead his team to the postseason, but this year no one player in the american league playoffs put up exceptional numbers to warrant a MVP season, so you had to go with the best player in the league which was Arod.