PDA

View Full Version : Green Seats

ChiSoxFann
11-17-2003, 09:36 PM
I should have posted this earlier. On Veterans Day we were at the ballpark buying SoxFest tickets and saw the box office fenced off at 35th so we took 37th Street to the Stadium Club and asked a security guard in there that we wanted to by some tickets. He called someone and while we were waiting a couple guys wheeled in some green stadium seats in on a dolly. They were dark green just like Wrigley or Miller Park and had Sox logos on the side. They wheeled in 4 seats total and one had a huge cusion on the seat. The guard said they would put these in the park eventually and the cushioned one was for the Club Level. I asked what they were doing to the old blue seats and he told me by gate 2 there were a few dumpsters with blue seats in them and told me to help myself. So I got the Fest tickets, they wheeled the green seats away and I got 5 seats out of the dumpster, but they don't have the seat bottom on them and the back part where they connected to the concrete wall are sawed off. They have the side arms, seat backs, and levers for the seat bottom, but not the bottoms themselves and can't be mounted up. So that was my day at the park. I just hope I can find some bottoms for these things and somehow get them to stand up.

:gulp:

roofshot87
11-17-2003, 10:35 PM
In the Southtown they mentioned filling in the umpire's tunnel behind homeplate as a possible renovation solution. Mabye the cushioned seats are for some super elite club box behind the plate.

Just a thought

mike squires
11-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Sounds like the wrong color green to me. We are not the Brewers and definatly not the cubs! We have ivy in center and now Cub green seats. :o:

doublem23
11-17-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Sounds like the wrong color green to me. We are not the Brewers and definatly not the cubs! We hve ivy in enter and not Cub green seats. :o:

Old Comiskey had green seats though, which is why it doesn't make sense to go with blue. The new park was obviously trying to leach off the tradition of the old, yet they changed the whole color scheme from green (to carry on the old's torch) to blue. There's been an ongoing debate on the boards as to whether or not the seat color matters, and I frankly doubt it really does, but if I had to choose, green wins by a mile.

ihatethecubs
11-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Sounds like the wrong color green to me. We are not the Brewers and definatly not the cubs! We have ivy in center and now Cub green seats. :o:
if theyre gonna be green they should be old comiskey light green not dark. but i dont really care i guess any green is an improvement. i still think black would be kinda cool too.

doublem23
11-17-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
i still think black would be kinda cool too.

And really ****ing hot. BTW, the sig is awesome, hate. :)

emaholic
11-18-2003, 12:00 AM
Green seats? Ew.

SouthSideHitman
11-18-2003, 12:17 AM
if theyre gonna be green they should be old comiskey light green not dark. but i dont really care i guess any green is an improvement. i still think black would be kinda cool too.

Naw, like dublem said, black would get too hot in the day. Green seats with a black color scheme on the walls would be ideal. Unfortunatly that means the Sox fans will never see it.

soxnut
11-18-2003, 01:32 AM
I don't know what everybody's obsession with black is.. Black trimmed uniforms alternated jerseys, t-shirts, hats, and now black seats. I'd hate to see black seats.

Just give me the green ones. And, folks, as much as you think the seats were always green in old Comiskey, they weren't. They did go through a period of lighter blue seats as well. :smile:

ewokpelts
11-18-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxFann
I should have posted this earlier. On Veterans Day we were at the ballpark buying SoxFest tickets and saw the box office fenced off at 35th so we took 37th Street to the Stadium Club and asked a security guard in there that we wanted to by some tickets. He called someone and while we were waiting a couple guys wheeled in some green stadium seats in on a dolly. They were dark green just like Wrigley or Miller Park and had Sox logos on the side. They wheeled in 4 seats total and one had a huge cusion on the seat. The guard said they would put these in the park eventually and the cushioned one was for the Club Level. I asked what they were doing to the old blue seats and he told me by gate 2 there were a few dumpsters with blue seats in them and told me to help myself. So I got the Fest tickets, they wheeled the green seats away and I got 5 seats out of the dumpster, but they don't have the seat bottom on them and the back part where they connected to the concrete wall are sawed off. They have the side arms, seat backs, and levers for the seat bottom, but not the bottoms themselves and can't be mounted up. So that was my day at the park. I just hope I can find some bottoms for these things and somehow get them to stand up.

:gulp:

why throw away some seats and sell others? i dont buy this story

CLR01
11-18-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts

If the seats were not whole it makes sense. Who would want to buy a partial seat? Of course this does not mean they are changing the seats to green, these were probably ruined when they were taking them out.

hsnterprize
11-18-2003, 07:03 AM
When I would go to a game and go to the press conference area (in the conference center), I would see a row of 4 green seats near the entrance door. I speculated on whether or not they would be the seats replacing the blue ones in the ballpark...no one had an answer. It wouldn't surprise me...I think it would be nice. The current renovations are pretty nice. Hopefully, the team will get as good of a makeover like the ballpark is getting.

joepoe
11-18-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I don't know what everybody's obsession with black is.. Black trimmed uniforms alternated jerseys, t-shirts, hats, and now black seats. I'd hate to see black seats.

Just give me the green ones. And, folks, as much as you think the seats were always green in old Comiskey, they weren't. They did go through a period of lighter blue seats as well. :smile:

I just want a seat that fits my big keister and has a cupholder for my beverage. I don't care what color it is. Has the debate really been about which color is nicer or rather which color is less depressing when all the seats are empty during a game?hmmmmm

Kilroy
11-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by joepoe
I just want a seat that fits my big keister and has a cupholder for my beverage. I don't care what color it is. Has the debate really been about which color is nicer or rather which color is less depressing when all the seats are empty during a game?hmmmmm

It's covered all that and more. I think at one point, the debate was how Gian-prick-o could make more fun of blue empties than he could of green ones.

Now, there may actually be green seats coming, and that's no good because its Cub green or Brewer green. I didn't think it could get any more ridiculous -- but it did.

SaltyPretzel
11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Someone posted earlier that there will be some kind of announcement regarding the renovation this Thursday. Maybe this will be addressed.

anewman35
11-18-2003, 12:59 PM

There were pictures posted that clearly showed piles of seats all torn up in no condition to sell. Maybe the Sox don't think they can sell many, so they only set aside a few hundred to sell and are scrapping the rest?

Also, given the fact that they're selling some and that they didn't seem especially careful about keeping them in good shape, this means that if they do add a home run porch or additional lower deck seats, they will need to buy new ones. Let's hope that, no matter the color, they're at least more comfortable ones...

GoSox2K3
11-18-2003, 01:13 PM

If they switch to green seats, I can already imagine the new list of complaints quoted in the Cubune:

"No one attends Sox games because they hate the green seats", "I liked the blue seats better", "I wish the seats were black", etc.

No matter what the Sox do, people will always find a reason to complain that they don't like the park.

soxnut
11-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
Someone posted earlier that there will be some kind of announcement regarding the renovation this Thursday. Maybe this will be addressed.

Yeah, I posted it. Mr. Polvere(ISFA) didn't go into any detailed information on what will be announced. I asked if there would be any renderings, pictures, computer images and such. He just said that there would be additional information available on Thursday.
I hope it will be alot of information, so everyone can stop speculating. And for the whiners, they can start complaining, as usual. :D:

I would like to see green seats. I don't know what's wrong with the color of the seats in Wrigley or Miller, they look fine to me. I don't care who's seats they look like, they'll be in our ballpark. :cool:

In the original drawings that I saw years ago, for our new ballpark, there were green seats. Then, they decided to go with the seat colors from their spring training facility in Sarasota at Ed Smith Stadium. I was honestly disappointed when I saw them installing the blue seats, and having that big hole behind home plate as well. Hopefully all fo that is going to be taken care of over then next 2 years. :smile:

Frank the Tank
11-18-2003, 04:21 PM
I think the sox went with blue because they wanted to copy Yankee stadium II. I think Yankee Stadium is the only ballpark more overrated than Wrigley Field. I have no problem with dark green seats, but I would prefer the Old Comiskey bright green. I think it would compliment the other changes well. The roof on the upper deck is supposed to resemble the roof on Old Comiskey. Furthermore, the proposed "home run landing" looks a little like the 2nd level of the Outfield seats at Old Comiskey. Compliment those changes with the bright green paint and maybe the Cell might have some nostalgic value. Anyway, I'm sure that if green seats are installed, they will match the green color on the new scoreboard.

Foulke You
11-18-2003, 04:23 PM
I seem to remember this being discussed before but why don't the Sox just paint over the blue rather than getting all new seats? Didn't they always repaint the seats at Old Comiskey? So you have to slap a new coat on every few years to keep it looking new. Why not? It has to be cheaper than stripping out all of the old seats and putting entirely new green ones in there.

BTW, "ihatethecubs", I love the sig!!

anewman35
11-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I seem to remember this being discussed before but why don't the Sox just paint over the blue rather than getting all new seats? Didn't they always repaint the seats at Old Comiskey? So you have to slap a new coat on every few years to keep it looking new. Why not? It has to be cheaper than stripping out all of the old seats and putting entirely new green ones in there.

Well, Old Comiskey seats were wood/metal. That paints a lot easier than plastic does, I think.

GregoryEtc
11-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Its very hard to paint plastic. There is special plastic paint that would work but thats a bad solution to a faux-problem.

I'm of the opinoin that if they wanna waste their money on switching out the seats, whatever. It will probably look better but it doesn't really matter to me. Blue is fine. I think a gray or navy or hunter green would look good too. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

If anyone is out there saying, "if they changed the color of the seats, i'd go to more games", are these really the kinds of people we want at our park anyway? That seems like a really petty thing to worry about.

"Green seats are more comfortable to sit in!"
"Green seats give a better view of the game!"

If you ask me, and nobody did, the people complaining about seat color are not worth spending the money for. They will just complain about something else if you change the seats. Some people are just miserable and like to be miserable.

"Waaa....the upper deck is too UPPER!....waaa....the seats are too blue.....Waaa....the parking lot is too close to the stadium!....waaa....our park doesn't smell enough like urine!"

poorme
11-18-2003, 04:34 PM
I agree that doing anything now would be a waste of money, but why was blue chosen in the first place. I mean, that's kind of weird, no?

anewman35
11-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I agree that doing anything now would be a waste of money, but why was blue chosen in the first place. I mean, that's kind of weird, no?

Not really. Plenty of other parks have had blue in the past, what makes it any weirder of a choice than green?

GregoryEtc
11-18-2003, 04:41 PM
I'm guessing blue was chosen because nobody bothered to think that people would be offended by the color of seats. Get real! They're SEATS! Why does it matter what color they are?

Back in the 80s when the decisions were being made, you had stadiums like the astrodome and the vet with red and orange and yellow and green seats. You never heard anyone complain about the color of the seats (because there were so many other things to complain about those stadiums).

If you ask me, if all people can say bad about your stadium is "I just wish those seats were different color," you've built yourself a pretty nice park. And after our UD is finished, that's really all anyone WILL be able to say.

soxnut
11-18-2003, 04:43 PM

Dude, as I stated in my previous post in this thread, it was because of their spring training faciltiy. Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota was a their new facility, when they were training there. They thought it was a good look, so they decided to bring it to New Comiskey. Why they thought it was a good look...I don't know. :(:

nasox
11-18-2003, 04:47 PM
blue is at least unique too. Only, off the top of my head, Yankee and Skydome have it. Dark Blue like in New Soldier would have been better than the shade of blue but, eh, we really are nitpicking. Im fine with blue and presonally, i think green wouldnt match the color scheme. It would only match the fan deck/scoreboard and wouldn't match the add posts, the outside, the paint scheme. It would look thrown together and would not fit, IMO.

poorme
11-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Maybe they had some leftovers or something.

I remember getting a sox calender at the last opener in old Comiskey. It had the artist rendition of the new stadium and looked really cool. It appeared to be brick with black light standards and green seats. So I got all fired up and bought a partial season ticket plan for the next year.

anewman35
11-18-2003, 04:55 PM
I remember getting a sox calender at the last opener in old Comiskey. It had the artist rendition of the new stadium and looked really cool. It appeared to be brick with black light standards and green seats. So I got all fired up and bought a partial season ticket plan for the next year.

You bought tickets based on the color of the seats and light standards and the presence of brick? How do those factors possibly affect either the game you're watching or your personal comfort?

poorme
11-18-2003, 05:00 PM
I bought tickets because I thought the place looked cool and I wanted to have good seats. I probably would have bought them anyway even if the painting had blue seats and concrete.

steff
11-18-2003, 05:35 PM

The last 2 rows of seats were completely destroyed (can't be mounted) until someone yelled "STOP" (being facetious) and said "I bet we can get some suckers to buy these...." :D:

Seriously.. I heard they had to saw off the last couple rows cause they were too close to the back concrete wall which is why they have no bottoms or mounting brackets.

Daver
11-18-2003, 05:58 PM
How many wins a year will the Sox gain by changing the color of the seats?

I don't care if the seats are the color of a baboon's ass,spend the money on the players and field a winning team.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Daver

That's an interesting question, Daver. Some of the world's greatest archaelogists and physicists have teamed up to research Sox artifacts and project an accurate forecast into the future. With the addition of green seats, the Sox will remain mediocrities a minimum 40 more years, just like they were at Old Comiskey Park playing in front of generations of dead Sox Fans watching them lose in green seats.

:smile:

THE_HOOTER
11-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Daver

I don't care if the seats are the color of a baboon's ass,spend the money on the players and field a winning team.

We don't spend moeny on the players to field a winning team, and as a result we never do field a winning team.

I don't see the harm in debating the color of the seats---it sure beats talking about who we won't sign, or who are going to dump because of salary issues.

joepoe
11-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by soxnut

I would like to see green seats. I don't know what's wrong with the color of the seats in Wrigley or Miller, they look fine to me. I don't care who's seats they look like, they'll be in our ballpark. :cool:

In the original drawings that I saw years ago, for our new ballpark, there were green seats. Then, they decided to go with the seat colors from their spring training facility in Sarasota at Ed Smith Stadium. I was honestly disappointed when I saw them installing the blue seats, and having that big hole behind home plate as well. Hopefully all fo that is going to be taken care of over then next 2 years. :smile:

Thanks for checking with Il Sports Authority. ...I remember the first time I walked into Miller Park- I wondered- "Why couldn't WE have something like this?" It's a great place. BUT, I still love our lower bowl with the OF concourse...

doogiec
11-18-2003, 08:50 PM
First, for the record, I'm color blind so my memory may be incorrect...but I remember old Comiskey Park having blue seats during the 60's and the 70's until Veeck bought the team the second time around and painted everything green. I'm too young to remember before that.

Does anyone else remember this? Were the seats always blue? Are the current blue seats really a nostalgic retro throw back to old Comiskey?

poorme
11-18-2003, 08:59 PM
The seats were definitely different colors over the years. You could see the layers of paint chipping off. I can't remember what the colors were, though.

Daver
11-18-2003, 09:05 PM
The seats were painted red when the 72 Sox wore the red pin stripe uniforms.

Nick@Nite
11-19-2003, 01:45 PM

I always thought plaid was the way to go.

GregoryEtc
11-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Teal is kinda like a Blue-Green. Maybe this could be a compromise.

Tekijawa
11-19-2003, 02:03 PM
What about clear seats? then when they go empty it will look like they just hadn't finished the section yet!

Fisk72
11-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
What about clear seats? then when they go empty it will look like they just hadn't finished the section yet!

Better yet, why not put temporary cardboard cutouts of "fans" in the empty UD seats? Or you know how they can put the ads on the screen behind homeplate? Well, just have them digitally add fans?

doogiec
11-20-2003, 12:48 PM
To answer my own question, it looks like blue seats were Comiskey tradition for a long time. I found a color picture of the 1959 team, the seats in the backround are clearly blue. I also found pictures that included blue seats in 1968, 1974 and 1975. The 1974 picture also shows red seats, it looked like they had part of the park painted red and part of the park blue.

By my math, that's at least 17 seasons with blue seats, including our last pennant season.

I don't recall anyone complaining about them back then?

dllrbll7
11-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
To answer my own question, it looks like blue seats were Comiskey tradition for a long time. I found a color picture of the 1959 team, the seats in the backround are clearly blue. I also found pictures that included blue seats in 1968, 1974 and 1975. The 1974 picture also shows red seats, it looked like they had part of the park painted red and part of the park blue.

By my math, that's at least 17 seasons with blue seats, including our last pennant season.

I don't recall anyone complaining about them back then?

Any way you could scan some of those pics and post them? I would really like to see it

Palehose13
11-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Since the Sox went with team colors in the past and black would be waaaaaaaay to hot, what about grey seats???

I heard that Petite and Tejada LOVE grey seats and will sign for much less if they played in a park with grey seats!

Naaaaahhhh...I just felt the need to throw another color into the mix. ;)