PDA

View Full Version : Upper Deck Optical Illusion

Frank the Tank
11-17-2003, 09:31 PM
It is pretty obvious that the two major problems with the Upper Deck will not be resolved upon completion of the renovations. Those being: The distance the seats are from the field, and the steep pitch of the seats. All the contractors are doing is removing 8 rows so the structure seems less intimidating, as well as adding a roof. Will this "optical illusion" make the pitch and distance from the field less noticable to the ticketholder? Are the changes really going to increase the attendance in the upper deck?

doublem23
11-17-2003, 09:34 PM
I personally think it looks better, but I may not be the best to respond because I would (and have) sat in the farthest rows of the upper deck before and had no problems.

People just like to whine. They could tear down the upper deck, completely rebuilt it and make it perfect and then someone would start complaining about how the supports needed block views in the lower bowl and how the upper deck being closer to the field takes away the sun from there.

Dub25
11-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Attendance won't go up. Only a winning team will do that. And depending on what happens with Lee and Ordonez we might be very unhappy with the team next year and that won't help attendance.

anewman35
11-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
It is pretty obvious that the two major problems with the Upper Deck will not be resolved upon completion of the renovations. Those being: The distance the seats are from the field, and the steep pitch of the seats. All the contractors are doing is removing 8 rows so the structure seems less intimidating, as well as adding a roof. Will this "optical illusion" make the pitch and distance from the field less noticable to the ticketholder? Are the changes really going to increase the attendance in the upper deck?

The bottom of the upper deck was never the real problem, though. Sure, maybe those seats aren't quite as good as they could be, but I've never heard of anybody complain about the upper deck boxes - the complaints were always about the top 10 rows or so. I don't think many people have a problem walking up a couple of rows of steep stairs - it's when it was 25 rows they weren't happy. With the top rows gone, the maximim height and distance are both drastically reduced, and the complaints should be as well.

TommyJohn
11-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Are the changes really going to increase the attendance in the upper deck?

:moron

Not if I have anything to say about it! And I'm lying in wait!!
Get ready, scum Sox fans!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!!
(Bares fangs)

Lip Man 1
11-18-2003, 12:57 AM
Forgive my stupidity but I thought Tommy John left the Sox at the end of the season (posting a rather foreceful message or two on the way out...)

Lip

soxnut
11-18-2003, 01:20 AM
As I have posted many times before on this topic, the illusion will definitely help me. I liked sitting in the fornt of the UD and in the last few rows of the UD. Sitting anywhere inthe middle, without any type of overhang, was uncomfortable. I felt like I was floating.I think many fans will like this idea much better. :smile:

hsnterprize
11-18-2003, 07:27 AM
Ugh...it seems like the upper deck complaints won't stop unless the Sox totally change their ballpark and leadership. Oh well...like the top line says, you can't please everybody.

I personally think it's great the Sox are doing what they're doing with that upper deck. Now, I'll be the first person to admit I was one of many who complained about the high UD. I was stationed in North Carolina when Comiskey II opened, and was in Korea when Camden Yards went up. I read and heard all the retro-ballpark hype, and I was so mad, I wrote the author of a Sports Illiustrated piece about how Comiskey II was being overlooked. I heard all the UD hype when I came home, and I saw for myself what the fuss was about soon after. Now, without all the retro-ballpark hype, Comiskey II wasn't bad. However, hindsight is 20/20...we all know the place could've been better.

But now, after years of complaints, the Sox are finally DOING SOMETHING about the UD. Whether or not it will be a reason for a higher draw is subject to debate. However, at least the Sox are trying to reach out to a lost commodity on the south side...the casual fan. Too many people are believing the hype about how bad the place is. I got an e-mail from a TV reporter who went to the Cell for the first time last season, and she told me it's a "great place to watch a game...no matter what anyone says." At least she saw the place for herself instead of letting the Cub-led anti-Sox hype influence her decision. If only more people were that smart. She also said she had a great time...it was a Saturday night game with a lot of Sox homers.

Bottom line...at least give the Sox credit for trying to improve the place. We die-hard fans aren't caught up too much in the ballpark hype, but let's admit it...we're glad the Sox are trying to draw more fans. Granted...a winning team will be the better draw in the long run, but let's see what the Cell can do to bring some more butts in the seats.

joepoe
11-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Ugh...it seems like the upper deck complaints won't stop unless the Sox totally change their ballpark and leadership. Oh well...like the top line says, you can't please everybody.
I personally think it's great the Sox are doing what they're doing with that upper deck. ....

I agree. Some U/D seats are much better than others. The seats in the first ten rows between the bases are great. They get progressively worse from there.
I sat in row ten in the last section in left field during the 93 playoffs, all the way down the line, and could not make my eyes resolve enough to see the baseball.

I think tearing out the seats with the steepest pitch, which they did, and putting a roof over our heads to help a bit during inclement weather, is an excellent solution. But remember, the cheap seats will always be the cheap seats.

Eddie Gaedel
11-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by joepoe
But remember, the cheap seats will always be the cheap seats.

not when the outfield seats, which i think are not as good as the UD infield 1st 10 rows, are more expensive!

washington
11-18-2003, 12:45 PM
IMHO, if they re-constructed in a way that allowed them to have escalators going to the top of the UD (like they do in Kansas City and elsewhere) they would address many of the complaints, which are about the long steep climb to the top seats.

GoSox2K3
11-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Forgive my stupidity but I thought Tommy John left the Sox at the end of the season (posting a rather foreceful message or two on the way out...)

Lip

Sounds like someone quietly came crawling back! :D:

I was imagining that he went totally over to the dark side, became a Cubs fan and was posting on Cub fan sites under the name FergieJenkins.

The Bartman incident must have brought him back.

BeerHandle
11-18-2003, 01:25 PM

I think the UD will be much better. People hated the long steep climb. Now, that won't be an issue. With all the renovations to the UD and the concourse underneath, it will be one of the best in baseball. Have you ever sat in the UD at Yankee Stadium? It is time to stop complaining about the park. The Sox are making the needed changes.

batmanZoSo
11-19-2003, 02:22 PM

Not if sleazy columnists--who will remain nameless (for a few seconds...two...three...Jay Mariotti)--keep trashing this organization's very generous and thoughtful move to appease the fans. Perception is reality. Have you seen the latest pictures on the Sox site? It looks as if they actually did take the pitch down. But the main problem was that there were too many seats up there, and too many bad ones. Sure, it could be less steep, but it isn't much steeper than the other new parks. This is the age of the skybox, which pushes upper decks into the sky.

bestkosher
11-19-2003, 02:31 PM
escalators, at comiskey, they better not allow for people to fall backwards , after being half lit at comiskey, and sitting in the upper deck you think have of them will beable to negotiate a esclator, and when the LFub fans come over to say hello, and there are glorious battles in the stands we would not want to see any of them fall down the escelator would we