PDA

View Full Version : Eating contract money on a Maggs trade?

StillMissOzzie
11-17-2003, 09:25 PM
On ESPN.com (I still don't fully understand how to make a link, so you're on your own), there's a column by Jayson Stark that mentions the Astros' Richard Hidalgo. It goes on to quote other GM's to say that if the 'Stros planned on moving him and his $12 million contract (with a $2 million buyout), they'd have to eat "...maybe $8 - 9 million...". I'm paraphrasing, but those are the numbers.

If we extrapololate this assessment of the current market and economic state of the MLB union, would it be safe to assume that JR, KW, and company would have to eat maybe $9 - $10 million for Maggs to not play for the Sox?

From my point of view, if you're out of pocket that $9 - $10 million either way, then he's only costing the Sox $4 - $5 million to STAY!!

That, my friends, would be a bargain!

PLEASE KEEP MAGGS!

SMO

doublem23
11-17-2003, 09:28 PM
The easiest way to make a link is to just copy the address of the page your refering to and just pasting it in the box here. The "fancy" way is to click the "http://" button just above the text box and you'll get a little pop-up, the first for the text you want to appear and the second for the address. Hope that helped (http://www.doubisawesome.com). :)

RichH55
11-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
On ESPN.com (I still don't fully understand how to make a link, so you're on your own), there's a column by Jayson Stark that mentions the Astros' Richard Hidalgo. It goes on to quote other GM's to say that if the 'Stros planned on moving him and his $12 million contract (with a $2 million buyout), they'd have to eat "...maybe $8 - 9 million...". I'm paraphrasing, but those are the numbers.

If we extrapololate this assessment of the current market and economic state of the MLB union, would it be safe to assume that JR, KW, and company would have to eat maybe $9 - $10 million for Maggs to not play for the Sox?

From my point of view, if you're out of pocket that $9 - $10 million either way, then he's only costing the Sox $4 - $5 million to STAY!!

PLEASE KEEP MAGGS!

SMO

I don't even know how to respond to this....Ridiculous comes to mind

If you think Hidalgo = Magglio well then I have a bridge to sell you in New York

MRKARNO
11-17-2003, 11:14 PM
I think the yanks would take on Maggs' entire Salary if it meant that they didnt have to sign shef or vlad

Daver
11-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think the yanks would take on Maggs' entire Salary if it meant that they didnt have to sign shef or vlad

Huh?

They have to give up players in order to acquire Magglio,Shef or Vlad cost them nothing but the money to sign them.

joepoe
11-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie

PLEASE KEEP MAGGS!

SMO

I have a hard time envisioning the Chairman eating any part of Maggs' contract. I am thinking he stays until July when the team is out of it and they might could get something for him.

hold2dibber
11-18-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

As Daver pointed out, if they sign Vlad or Sheffield, they don't have to give up any players. Plus, if they sign one of those guys, they get him for several years, whereas Maggs is a FA at the end of next season. The only way Maggs goes to New York is if Vlad simply refuses to play in New York AND the Angels or the Braves beat the Yankees to Sheffield.