PDA

View Full Version : Alomars (from the official site)

maurice
11-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Sandy could sign a one-year deal this week. Robbie looking for a multi-year deal and could be outta here.

Linky (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031117&content_id=604746&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Also from the official site, Reed on the Olympics, Guillen, and offseason plans (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031114&content_id=603966&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha).

hold2dibber
11-17-2003, 05:09 PM
I have no problem with Sandy coming back - the market for back-up catchers is pretty thin, the Sox have bigger fish to fry, and the progress of Olivo is much more important to the Sox catching situation than is any back up. Plus, Sandy does seem like a good leader.

As to Robbie, I think KW is smart to hold off. It would be foolish to jump in and sign him now before knowing what the market is and who is going to be non-tendered. It's not like Robbie is so good that the Sox just have to have him, particularly since it may well turn out that the market will be flooded with comparable players.

MarkEdward
11-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Sandy could sign a one-year deal this week. Robbie looking for a multi-year deal and could be outta here.

Is it so wrong to ask for *some* production out of the back-up catcher's position? Seriously, Sandy might be a great dude, but his "veteran presence" hasn't won us a whole hell of a lot since joining the team. Mike Rivera, though no longer a top prospect, can certainly put up better numbers than Alomar.

To me, both the Dodgers and Marlins have an overabundance of catchers. Although I don't think we'd be able to get Lo Duca or Rodriguez (or even Koyie Hill), surely we could pick up Ramon Castro, Mike Redmond, or Dave Ross on the cheap.

Oh well, after 100 ABs Sandy will go down to injury anyway...

hold2dibber
11-17-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Is it so wrong to ask for *some* production out of the back-up catcher's position? Seriously, Sandy might be a great dude, but his "veteran presence" hasn't won us a whole hell of a lot since joining the team. Mike Rivera, though no longer a top prospect, can certainly put up better numbers than Alomar.

To me, both the Dodgers and Marlins have an overabundance of catchers. Although I don't think we'd be able to get Lo Duca or Rodriguez (or even Koyie Hill), surely we could pick up Ramon Castro, Mike Redmond, or Dave Ross on the cheap.

Oh well, after 100 ABs Sandy will go down to injury anyway...

To me, "veteran presence" and "good in the clubhouse" mean virtually nothing when you're comparing, for example, Darrin Erstad to someone who doesn't suck. But with respect to Alomar, we're talking about a back-up catcher; we're talking about maybe 125 to 150 ABs. I frankly do think it is entirely possible that a guy like Sandy, who, from all accounts, does serve as a role as a leader in the clubhouse, who certain of the pitchers are particularly comfortable throwing to, and who has the stature and status to, for example, calm Ozzie down and smooth over the inevitable bad feelings that Ozzie's complete lack of a filter between his head and his mouth with create, would be better for the team than someone who is only marginally better as a player. Again, we're only talking about 150 ABs or so. I personally know little about the guys you mentioned, but after looking over their numbers, with the exception of Ross, I don't see a significant improvement over Sandy, if any. And that begs the question of whether Ross is even a free agent. If not, another advantage in re-signing Sandy over a trade is that, obviously, the Sox don't have to give up a player to get him.

gosox41
11-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I have no problem with Sandy coming back - the market for back-up catchers is pretty thin, the Sox have bigger fish to fry, and the progress of Olivo is much more important to the Sox catching situation than is any back up. Plus, Sandy does seem like a good leader.

As to Robbie, I think KW is smart to hold off. It would be foolish to jump in and sign him now before knowing what the market is and who is going to be non-tendered. It's not like Robbie is so good that the Sox just have to have him, particularly since it may well turn out that the market will be flooded with comparable players.

How many time are the Sox going to re-sign this guy. As a player he was washed up the first time KW signed him. It was good to see him traded. But to bring him back a second and a third time....it's overkill.

Bob

doublem23
11-17-2003, 08:32 PM
The only viable purpose Sandy performed the last few years was keeping the eternally versatile doofus, Josh Paul, off the 25-man roster and away from the tinkering hands of Jerry Manuel. Now that both are gone, it's time to look elsewhere. I'd love to see Sandy as a coach, but he brings absolutely nothing to the table any more.

idseer
11-17-2003, 08:38 PM

but then ... the sox ARE foolish quite often. isn't this why we signed jose for another $5Mil?

MarkEdward
11-17-2003, 09:35 PM
To me, "veteran presence" and "good in the clubhouse" mean virtually nothing when you're comparing, for example, Darrin Erstad to someone who doesn't suck. But with respect to Alomar, we're talking about a back-up catcher; we're talking about maybe 125 to 150 ABs. I frankly do think it is entirely possible that a guy like Sandy, who, from all accounts, does serve as a role as a leader in the clubhouse, who certain of the pitchers are particularly comfortable throwing to, and who has the stature and status to, for example, calm Ozzie down and smooth over the inevitable bad feelings that Ozzie's complete lack of a filter between his head and his mouth with create, would be better for the team than someone who is only marginally better as a player. Again, we're only talking about 150 ABs or so. I personally know little about the guys you mentioned, but after looking over their numbers, with the exception of Ross, I don't see a significant improvement over Sandy, if any. And that begs the question of whether Ross is even a free agent. If not, another advantage in re-signing Sandy over a trade is that, obviously, the Sox don't have to give up a player to get him.

None of the players I mentioned are free agents. However, I don't think it will take much to get Ross or Castro, like I said. The Dodgers have Koyie Hill coming up, and with Lo Duca on the team already, that'd leave Ross as the odd man out. I don't think the Marlins have much faith in Castro, so I believe he could be had easily.

Why can't Sandy become a coach, and let someone productive take his spot on the roster?

Lip Man 1
11-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Interesting in that Robbie was quoted as saying it was a "slam dunk" he'd return if Guillen got the job.

and Bartolo "really wanted to stay in Chicago," too

LOL

Lip

hold2dibber
11-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Why can't Sandy become a coach, and let someone productive take his spot on the roster?

I agree that that would be the best option.

FanOf14
11-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Interesting in that Robbie was quoted as saying it was a "slam dunk" he'd return if Guillen got the job.

and Bartolo "really wanted to stay in Chicago," too

LOL

Lip

Precisely why, for the most part, I don't believe a word out of a players mouth when they talk about their contracts and where they want to play.